CycleBanter.com

-   -   Cyclists Fatalities. (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=237488)

Judith[_4_] July 15th 12 05:13 PM

Cyclists Fatalities.

Did you know that Holland has the highest percentage of cycling fatalities (as
a percentage of all transport fatalities) in Europe.

It is called "safety in numbers".

Dave - Cyclists VOR July 15th 12 06:07 PM

Cyclists Fatalities.

On 15/07/2012 17:13, Judith wrote:
Did you know that Holland has the highest percentage of cycling fatalities (as
a percentage of all transport fatalities) in Europe.

It is called "safety in numbers".

I expect Justin is to blame.

University

al Mossah[_2_] July 15th 12 08:22 PM

Cyclists Fatalities.

On Jul 15, 5:13*pm, Judith wrote:
Did you know that Holland has the highest percentage of cycling fatalities (as
a percentage of all transport fatalities) in Europe.

It is called "safety in numbers".

More people cycling will almost certainly mean more fatalities.

In other news, the Pope has displayed Catholic tendencies, and ursine
creatures are found defaecating in arboreal surroundings.

Just think; if all journeys were by bike 100% of transport fatalities
would be cycling related.

Ian Smith July 15th 12 09:59 PM

Cyclists Fatalities.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:22:53 -0700 (PDT), al Mossah wrote:
On Jul 15, 5:13Â*pm, Judith wrote:
Did you know that Holland has the highest percentage of cycling
fatalities (as a percentage of all transport fatalities) in
Europe.

It is called "safety in numbers".

More people cycling will almost certainly mean more fatalities.

No, I disagree. I think you mean will almost certainly mean more
cyclist fatalities - that would be true.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Judith[_4_] July 15th 12 11:18 PM

Cyclists Fatalities.

On Jul 15, 5:13*pm, Judith wrote:
Did you know that Holland has the highest percentage of cycling
fatalities (as a percentage of all transport fatalities) in
Europe.

It is called "safety in numbers".

More people cycling will almost certainly mean more fatalities.

No, I disagree. I think you mean will almost certainly mean more
cyclist fatalities - that would be true.

regards, Ian SMith

Oh dear.

So the number of people cycling goes up; the number of cyclist fatalities goes
up - but the total number of fatalities does not go up.

So as more people cycle, the number of non cyclist fatalities goes down.

Eeeerm - I wonder why that is?

This must mean that those people who were nice and safe in cars - who have now
switched to cycles are now not as safe as they were.

Yep - I agree - many thanks.

NM July 16th 12 10:30 AM

Cyclists Fatalities.

*On Jul 15, 5:13*pm, Judith wrote:
Did you know that Holland has the highest percentage of cycling
fatalities (as a percentage of all transport fatalities) in
Europe.

It is called "safety in numbers".

*More people cycling will almost certainly mean more fatalities.

No, I disagree. *I think you mean will almost certainly mean more
cyclist fatalities - that would be true.

regards, * Ian SMith

Oh dear.

So the number of people cycling goes up; the number of cyclist fatalities goes
up - but the total number of fatalities does not go up.

So as more people cycle, the number of non cyclist fatalities goes down.

Eeeerm - I wonder why that is?

This must mean that those people who were nice and safe in cars - who have now
switched to cycles are now not as safe as they were.

But a small handful of converts would hardly skew the figures

al Mossah[_2_] July 16th 12 03:47 PM

Cyclists Fatalities.

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 9:59:29 PM UTC+1, Ian Smith wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:22:53 -0700 (PDT), al Mossah > wrote:
> On Jul 15, 5:13*pm, Judith > wrote:
> > Did you know that Holland has the highest percentage of cycling
> > fatalities (as a percentage of all transport fatalities) in
> > Europe.
> >
> > It is called "safety in numbers".
>
> More people cycling will almost certainly mean more fatalities.

No, I disagree. I think you mean will almost certainly mean more
cyclist fatalities - that would be true.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|

Indeed, you are right; I meant to write "more *cycling* fatalities"; thanks for the correction.