CycleBanter.com

-   -   World's Fastest Bike Light, Oculus (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255060)

Oculus Lights November 14th 17 05:57 AM

World's Fastest Bike Light, Oculus

If winning the World 24 Hour Time Trial Championship meets your standards,
then Oculus is the undisputed World's Fastest Bike Light. I also had three of the top ten, a handful of age group winners, and three of the seven front row starters too,
The new world champion, Martin Bendszus, from Germany, and most others used a power and brightness combination that gave them ~500 lumens for 6+ hours on the brand new Oculus
3000Extreme. Some earlier Oculus customers used a 10 hour or 5 hour setting on their Oculus 1800Ultra.
Interestingly, a few racers introduced themselves as original Kickstarter backers, still loving their lights.
Martin covered 514.8 miles at 21.6mph average for 23 hours 56 minutes. An early hours surge in daylight by one conventional and one recumbent rider left Martin in third place by about 20 minutes. After full darkness took hold, Martin gained time each lap til he took the lead around 3:00AM, and held on through the daylight for the win. Second place was 510 miles in 23 hours 50 minutes at 21.4mph, less than three miles back. That's an average difference of only 220 yards per hour over 24 hours.
Oculus was the official onsite lighting sales and support for the World Championships. As a result of the event and glowing praise from an increasing number of well known distance racers and RAAM winners, Oculus will be the official headlight of RAAM and its related races for 2018.

John B.[_3_] November 14th 17 06:24 AM

World's Fastest Bike Light, Oculus

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:57:42 -0800 (PST), Oculus Lights
wrote:

[...]

My goodness. If you ride slowly like us older chaps you can install a
Oculas and you probably won't even need to pedal any more. Just turn
the light on and away you'll go. :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

David Scheidt November 14th 17 02:07 PM

wrote:

[...]

Better mount it in the back, so you go the right way.

--
sig 80

John B.[_3_] November 15th 17 12:57 AM

World's Fastest Bike Light, Oculus

wrote:

[...]

You are right. I'd forgotten about that. Just imagine the havoc.
Switch the light on and Wham! You crash the car behind you :-(
--
Cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson November 15th 17 03:54 AM

World's Fastest Bike Light, Oculus

Not divided into paragraphs. Did not read.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Sepp Ruf November 15th 17 06:27 AM

Joy Beeson wrote:
Not divided into paragraphs. Did not read.

The unpaid adverborial was "missing" the ironic points anyhow: The race's
winner lost time when his battery taillight failed him when charge dropped
to quickly, AND due to repeatedly getting spatially disoriented with the
Okulos light.

Quoting the eventual winner of the 24h ride, Martin Bendszus, a 49-y.o.
radiologist, "I had a lot of problems. A marshal saved me, though — I took
the wrong road and went completely in the wrong direction for perhaps many
miles. And he came by and told me, 'you're on the wrong route.' It was the
second lap, it was dark, I didn't know the track and I was going very fast.
It happened again too! The other time I realized that I was by myself, so ...."
https://www.facebook.com/24hrworlds/posts/1734975699860088

Oculus Lights November 16th 17 02:28 AM

wrote:

[...]

Photon emission propulsion? Oculus beam will let you use much lower brightnesses when moving slower, for previously unattainable burn times at any given brightness level.

Joerg[_2_] November 20th 17 07:25 PM

wrote:

If winning the World 24 Hour Time Trial Championship meets your
standards, then Oculus is the undisputed World's Fastest Bike
Light. I also had three of the top ten, a handful of age group
winners, and three of the seven front row starters too, The new
world champion, Martin Bendszus, from Germany, and most others
used a power and brightness combination that gave them ~500
lumens for 6+ hours on the brand new Oculus 3000Extreme. Some
earlier Oculus customers used a 10 hour or 5 hour setting on
their Oculus 1800Ultra. Interestingly, a few racers introduced
themselves as original Kickstarter backers, still loving their
lights. Martin covered 514.8 miles at 21.6mph average for 23
hours 56 minutes.

I wonder how one does that at his age. If I try to hold such an average
for just half an hour my tongue is on the handlebar.

... An early hours surge in daylight by one
conventional and one recumbent rider left Martin in third place
by about 20 minutes. After full darkness took hold, Martin
gained time each lap til he took the lead around 3:00AM, ...

Probably the light melted the air molecules in front of his bike :-)

[...]

Most lights can do that. On my MTB I can curb power to 40% and and 20%
for slower stretches. On the road bike only to 40%, the 20% setting is
used to blink mode which I don't use except for emergency. On the road
bike 100% light power which draws about 8W from the battery provides
4-5h ride time. 40% provides light for twice that time but by then my
behind would hurt so badly that I'd long since have stopped riding.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Oculus Lights November 21st 17 01:03 AM

On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 8:57:44 PM UTC-8, Oculus Lights wrote:
[...]

Proper nutrition and conditioning can make an unbelievable difference. Not on the same scale, in local tts when I was in race shape, I could average 24mph for ~50k.
The biggest physical challenge in TT riding is to stay tucked in aero position endlessly. For ultra-distance, taking or avoiding nature stops by peeing from the bike, and rapid feedzone handoffs in the dark, can cost or save minutes that add up. Keeping up 10 or 15+mph instead of needing to slow to 5 or a full stop saves the gradual wear and tear on the legs of getting back up to speed. In advance, condition the digestive system to go on a liquid diet.
I would like to see Martin's average heartrate. Beyond the devout training he did, he must also be amazingly genetically gifted.
Oculus Lights' role is in greatly reduced eye and brain fatigue to see and process maneuvering in the dark. The comment has come before from many ultra and MTB enduro racers, that the Oculus beam really does get you riding faster in the dark for the same perceived level of physical and mental effort.