CycleBanter.com

-   -   Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=245466)

Bret Cahill[_4_] September 30th 14 06:58 AM

Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much

Just about anyone can cycle 12 miles and with traffic backed up from the tsunami, a bike may be they only way to save your life.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...gc&type=198484

MrCheerful September 30th 14 11:30 AM

On 30/09/2014 06:58, Bret Cahill wrote:
Just about anyone can cycle 12 miles and with traffic backed up from the tsunami, a bike may be they only way to save your life.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...gc&type=198484

not nearly as useful as feet, and almost everyone has those.

Rob Morley September 30th 14 02:00 PM

Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 22:58:51 -0700 (PDT)
Bret Cahill wrote:

Just about anyone can cycle 12 miles and with traffic backed up from
the tsunami, a bike may be they only way to save your life.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...gc&type=198484

So how do we get everyone on La Palma to jump off their chairs at the
same time?

Rob Morley September 30th 14 05:56 PM

Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:30:28 +0100
Mrcheerful wrote:

On 30/09/2014 06:58, Bret Cahill wrote:
Just about anyone can cycle 12 miles and with traffic backed up
from the tsunami, a bike may be they only way to save your life.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...gc&type=198484

not nearly as useful as feet, and almost everyone has those.

Rather more useful than feet, generally. My feet don't work very well
(or rather they're attached to knees that don't work very well). Now I
live far from the coast and probably won't have to flee a tsunami any
time soon, but faced with gridlock and an urgent need to be ten miles
away I'd make much better progress on a bike than I would walking.
Plus I can load more on a bike than I can easily carry.

MrCheerful September 30th 14 06:42 PM

Mrcheerful wrote:

On 30/09/2014 06:58, Bret Cahill wrote:
Just about anyone can cycle 12 miles and with traffic backed up
from the tsunami, a bike may be they only way to save your life.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...gc&type=198484

not nearly as useful as feet, and almost everyone has those.

Rather more useful than feet, generally. My feet don't work very well
(or rather they're attached to knees that don't work very well). Now I
live far from the coast and probably won't have to flee a tsunami any
time soon, but faced with gridlock and an urgent need to be ten miles
away I'd make much better progress on a bike than I would walking.
Plus I can load more on a bike than I can easily carry.

That would all depend upon having a nice even level road. In the event
of disaster neither of those are likely, whereas feet can climb over
things very easily and going up hill (necessary to escape tidal waves )
is quite natural and simple on foot. I would imagine that poor quality
knee joints are not too hot for cycling in any case.

Rob Morley September 30th 14 07:12 PM

Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:42:10 +0100
Mrcheerful wrote:

That would all depend upon having a nice even level road.

Or a nice knobbly mountain bike.

In the
event of disaster neither of those are likely, whereas feet can climb
over things very easily and going up hill (necessary to escape tidal
waves ) is quite natural and simple on foot. I would imagine that
poor quality knee joints are not too hot for cycling in any case.

Actually my knees work quite well on a bike because their movement is
constrained by the pedals, so they tend not try to twist out of
alignment, which they can do when I'm walking, particularly on uneven
ground.

Bret Cahill[_4_] September 30th 14 09:20 PM

Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much

That would all depend upon having a nice even level road.

Or a nice knobbly mountain bike.

In the

event of disaster neither of those are likely, whereas feet can climb

over things very easily and going up hill (necessary to escape tidal

waves ) is quite natural and simple on foot. I would imagine that

poor quality knee joints are not too hot for cycling in any case.

Actually my knees work quite well on a bike because their movement is

constrained by the pedals, so they tend not try to twist out of

alignment, which they can do when I'm walking, particularly on uneven

ground.

Tennis players with bad knees -- basically all tennis players over 40 -- will often cycle for knee therapy.

Stay in lower gears and cycling actually makes knees better.

Bret Cahill

Bret Cahill[_4_] September 30th 14 09:43 PM

Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much

Just about anyone can cycle 12 miles and with traffic backed up

from the tsunami, a bike may be they only way to save your life.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...gc&type=198484

not nearly as useful as feet, and almost everyone has those.

Rather more useful than feet, generally. My feet don't work very well

(or rather they're attached to knees that don't work very well). Now I

live far from the coast and probably won't have to flee a tsunami any

time soon, but faced with gridlock and an urgent need to be ten miles

away I'd make much better progress on a bike than I would walking.

Plus I can load more on a bike than I can easily carry.

That would all depend upon having a nice even level road.

Roads don't disappear before a tsunami hits. The problem is the roads will be so clogged with traffic nothing will move.

Most cannot lift a motorcycle or even a moped over fences, walls and all the abandoned motor vehicles on the roads.

The _only_ solution for those who cannot run 12 miles in 1 hour or so is a bicycle.

In the event

of disaster neither of those are likely, whereas feet can climb over

things very easily and going up hill (necessary to escape tidal waves )

is quite natural and simple on foot.

Feet will be necessary but not sufficient.

I would imagine that poor quality

knee joints are not too hot for cycling in any case.

A tennis nut would cycle to make his knees feel better. He refused to get a knee replacement because you can't really play tennis on artificial knees..

Studies show wounds heal faster with exercise.

Bret Cahill

MrCheerful September 30th 14 10:57 PM

On 30/09/2014 21:20, Bret Cahill wrote:
That would all depend upon having a nice even level road.

Or a nice knobbly mountain bike.

In the

event of disaster neither of those are likely, whereas feet can climb

over things very easily and going up hill (necessary to escape tidal

waves ) is quite natural and simple on foot. I would imagine that

poor quality knee joints are not too hot for cycling in any case.

Actually my knees work quite well on a bike because their movement is

constrained by the pedals, so they tend not try to twist out of

alignment, which they can do when I'm walking, particularly on uneven

ground.

Tennis players with bad knees -- basically all tennis players over 40 -- will often cycle for knee therapy.

Stay in lower gears and cycling actually makes knees better.

Bret Cahill

Then why do so many cyclists develop patellofemoral syndrome?

Bret Cahill[_4_] October 1st 14 12:23 AM

[...]

They aren't spinning. Higher gears will destroy the knees for the same reason lugging down an engine 9not downshifting) will destroy the piston rod bearings.

Cyclists also need to get out of the seat every now and then to save their prostates.

Bret Cahill