CycleBanter.com

-   -   Any female cyclists out there? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58812)

cityjen July 6th 04 07:09 PM

Any female cyclists out there?

Hi all -

As a relatively new cyclist, I recently joined this group and am finding it
very useful. I'm based in London, and often ride with my 16-month-old
daughter - she loves being on the back of the bike in the child's seat!.

I'm having a great time cycling and as such, I am trying to get more women
cyclists on the road - judging from my travels and conversations with other
women, we seem to be in a bit of a minority. I'm hoping some of you might
help me spread the word to ladies in and around London who might be
interested in cycling but may not know how to get started, are convinced
it's not safe, want to meet other female cyclists, etc..

I just set up an informal e-group called Cycling Sisters (details, below).
If you know someone who might be interested, please pass along the info.

Also, if you've got any upcoming rides - for both genders - that start in
and around London, please feel free to let me know and I'll help you spread
the word. I'm at .

---
Cycling Sisters is a place for women throughout greater London to discuss
all aspects of two-wheeled transport in and around the capital city. Whether
you're interested in cycling for fun, fitness, or transportation (or all
three), join us. Here, you'll find out about upcoming cycle rides, learn
about riding with or without kids, discuss all things cycle-related
(including safety and maintenance), and meet other female cyclists - all
within a friendly, atmosphere.

Subscribe:

---

Cheers,

Jennifer Pirtle

Jeremy Parker July 6th 04 08:49 PM

Any female cyclists out there?

"cityjen" wrote in message

[snip]

I'm having a great time cycling and as such, I am trying to get

more women
cyclists on the road - judging from my travels and conversations

with other
women, we seem to be in a bit of a minority.

[snip]

From the figures I've seen only about one London bike commuter in six
or seven is a women, which is a shame. I would guess the ratio is
about the same for people who go off riding on weekends.

I thnk there are others who like going off on women only rides,
although I don't know details. I think there is even a bike shop
owned by an all woman co-op. (In Notting Hill?)

It might be an idea to phone the London Cycling Campaign's office
(020-7928-7220) and see if you can get Rebecca Lack, editor of the
"London Cyclist", their magazine, to give your group a plug. The
people at the office also might know of others with similar interests
to yours.

Jeremy Parker

Velvet July 6th 04 09:20 PM

Any female cyclists out there?

Vaguely interested, but wondering just how far out the 'in and about
london' covers?

--

Velvet

Purple July 6th 04 09:31 PM

"cityjen" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jen

I also have a young daughter, a bit older than yours though, she's three. I
used to live in London but recently moved to Nottinghamshire. When you say
you would like to get more women on the road do you mean literally or do you
stick to parks and cycle paths? The reason I ask is that I was terrified
about driving in London let alone cycle. Hats off to you if you cycle the
streets.

I have only just started cycling again after ten years, I bought a new bike
yesterday and a trailer for my little girl as she is too big too ride in a
child seat. My partner would also like a bike now and it has crossed his
mind that if we both have bikes we could go camping, cycling from campsite
to campsite but I would need to get a lot more bike savvy and confident
first. Do you find that motorists give you a lot of space with you having
you daughter at the back of your bike?

I don't live in London anymore so don't qualify to join your Yahoo group but
just to have my tuppence worth: I may have only gone on my first proper bike
ride today but I absolutely loved it and my daughter had a blast. It was
nice to get away from it all and hit the countryside. It was a really
pleasant feeling to have the wind in my hair while being able to hear my
daughter singing twinkle twinkle little star in the back. I definitely think
it is a great way for women and children to get out into the fresh air and
it will also encourage children to lead a healthy lifestyle later on in
life. I don't know why I didn't buy a bike sooner, when we got home my
little girl didn't want to get out the trailer, she could happily have rode
(ridden?) around all day!

Good luck with your group!

Fran

---

Roos Eisma July 6th 04 09:41 PM

Velvet writes:

Vaguely interested, but wondering just how far out the 'in and about
london' covers?

Guess it won't stretch to Dundee ;)

Roos

Colin McKenzie July 6th 04 10:08 PM

cityjen wrote:

Hi all -
As a relatively new cyclist, I recently joined this group and am finding it
very useful. I'm based in London, and often ride with my 16-month-old
daughter - she loves being on the back of the bike in the child's seat!.

I'm having a great time cycling and as such, I am trying to get more women
cyclists on the road - judging from my travels and conversations with other
women, we seem to be in a bit of a minority. ....

Not female, me, but have one name you might contact: Alix Stredwick,
who runs a project doing exactly what you want to do: encouraging and
helping women to cycle. I can find an email address for you in a day
or two if the above is not enough to go on.

Colin McKenzie

Helen Deborah Vecht July 6th 04 10:26 PM

Any female cyclists out there?

Colin McKenzie typed

Not female, me, but have one name you might contact: Alix Stredwick,
who runs a project doing exactly what you want to do: encouraging and
helping women to cycle. I can find an email address for you in a day
or two if the above is not enough to go on.

Alix Stredwick's

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

cityjen July 7th 04 08:54 AM

Any female cyclists out there?

Well, I'm saying greater London, but if there's interest beyond that, by all
means, come on board! I'd envisioned the rides starting from the London area
and going out from there, in much the same way that LCC does.

I'm definitely open to input - I've just started this yesterday. ;)

I'd also love to hear from women who might be interested in leading rides.

Cheers,
Jennifer

cityjen July 7th 04 08:54 AM

Any female cyclists out there?

Hi Velvet:

Well, I'm saying greater London but if there's interest beyond that, I'd
love to hear about it! (Gotta start somewhere!). I'd envisioned rides
starting from London and going out from there. Where are you based?

I'd also be pleased to hear from women interested in leading rides - I
thought perhaps we could do one a month.

Cheers,
Jennifer

cityjen July 7th 04 08:59 AM

"Purple" wrote in message

Hi Jen

I also have a young daughter, a bit older than yours though, she's three.

used to live in London but recently moved to Nottinghamshire. When you say
you would like to get more women on the road do you mean literally or do

you
stick to parks and cycle paths?

I'd like to get women onto the roads, parks, paths - wherever they feel
comfortable. I ride on all three. I tend to stick with the less busy streets
when I'm with my daughter, but you can't always do so. (She does love waving
at the buss drivers). Myself, I ride on the busy streets and actually love
doing so. The key is to take - and own - your space.

snip

I have only just started cycling again after ten years, I bought a new

bike
yesterday and a trailer for my little girl as she is too big too ride in a
child seat. My partner would also like a bike now and it has crossed his
mind that if we both have bikes we could go camping, cycling from campsite
to campsite but I would need to get a lot more bike savvy and confident
first.

That is one of the reasons that I got into cycling - as we go camping as a
family, too!

Do you find that motorists give you a lot of space with you having
you daughter at the back of your bike?

I take it. :) But seriously, I think most motorists will give you space if
you are confident, maintain eye contact, and be assertive about the rules of
the road. I think when you get into trouble is when you waver in your
intentions.

I don't live in London anymore so don't qualify to join your Yahoo group

but
just to have my tuppence worth: I may have only gone on my first proper

bike
ride today but I absolutely loved it and my daughter had a blast. It was
nice to get away from it all and hit the countryside. It was a really
pleasant feeling to have the wind in my hair while being able to hear my
daughter singing twinkle twinkle little star in the back.

Fantastic!!! I love hearing my litle one gurgle and make animal sounds back
there! :)

I definitely think
it is a great way for women and children to get out into the fresh air and
it will also encourage children to lead a healthy lifestyle later on in
life. I don't know why I didn't buy a bike sooner, when we got home my
little girl didn't want to get out the trailer, she could happily have

rode
(ridden?) around all day!

The key thing, though, is you started! Hurrah!

Good luck with your group!

Thanks very much - if you think of anyone who might be interested, please
have them get in touch.

Best, Jennifer