CycleBanter.com

-   -   Bicycling & health benefits of? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254877)

Joerg[_2_] October 18th 17 03:42 PM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

On 2017-10-17 15:53, Doug Landau wrote:
On 2017-10-17 09:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/17/2017 10:57 AM, Joerg wrote:

Or as North Sea coastal residents say, there ain't no such
thing as bad weather. There is only wrong clothing. Though
for me that only applies when it gets close to or below
freezing. Else it's always the default, jeans shorts and
T-shirt. Body temperature is regulated via crank torque.

I'm aware of that "wrong clothing" aphorism, and I do think
it's cute, but I can't accept it. I love cycling, but I put
up with significant discomfort in some weather.

For example, in hot humid weather (85 Fahrenheit, 70
dewpoint) it seems impossible for me to ride the uphill route
to our grocery without arriving drenched in sweat. In fact,
despite the store's AC, I'll still be dripping as I leave
with a cart full of groceries.

Sometimes I carry a 2nd T-shirt but you are right, if I change
too quickly after a hot-weather high-power ride that one will
be drenched soon as well.

And while I can handle drizzle or light sprinkling rain, I
still know of no way to be really comfortable in even
moderate rain, especially with wind.

Use one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumb...:Nzleitras.jpg

https://inhabitat.com/innovative-swe...ks-like-a-car/

When it really pours I use a thin rain coat but the flapping
about of those things isn't so great.

In a cool climate (where, say 80F or 25C) is a typical
maximum, where terrain is flat and cycling speeds are very
slow, I think comfort would be much easier.

Most of us would then probably fall asleep and crash :-)

I lived in the Netherlands for a while and in the flat areas
there, while temps are modest, one can face strong head winds.
That can be very uncomfortable. You stand in the pedals,
cranking as hard as you can and the needle of the speedometer
barely lifts from the peg. According to Murphy's Law that wind
will have completely died down by the time the return trip
happens. Can be like that in other places as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KBJbhV-ia8

You stand on the pedals when tackling a tough headwind? I have
to say that's not a tactic I've ever tried...

You probably never lived in the Netherlands and had a 6-speed corn
cob cassette. Standing in the pedals and hunched over the handlebar
into the wind was a common mode of operation. Also for the guys
riding heavy single-speed Dutch bikes. Sometimes it was like going
up a steep hill and it wouldn't end.

Nowadays most bikes have a 28T or 32T available in back and a
granny ring up front. Not so in the olden days.

Yes, but try to tell that to the young people of today, and will they
believe you? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

I know. Many of them have never seen down-tube shifters until they take
a closer look at my road bike. When I tell them that they aren't indexed
they can't believe it and people have grabbed the right lever and tried.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

John B.[_3_] October 19th 17 01:39 AM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 07:57:02 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-17 20:52, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 07:47:55 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-16 18:59, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:52:51 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-16 04:16, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 10:02:00 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

And a walk is inexpensive.

Not really when seen per mile. I walk about two miles every day so
that's around 700mi/year. A pair of $30 sports shoes wears out within a
year so 4c/mile. I get more than that out of a road bike rear tire.
Sandals don't wear out that fast for whatever reason but can't be used
much in winter.

Get rid of the shoes. The feet are self healing and will grow to
accommodate even black top pavement.

I would add, before you start you say it is impossible, that Zola Budd
set the world 5,000 metre record running barefoot. Her mile best of
4:17.57 in 1985, still stands as the British record. Barefooted.

Oh, I could, since I already walk and bicycle with sandals all summer
long. Problem is, without any shoes one carries the dirt into the house
because you can't switch feet at the entrance door, and that will make
the missus grumpy (rightfully so). Especially when coming back from a
dirt trail.

How primitive. The Thais, who were essentially shoeless in years gone
by solved the problem by placed a tub of water outside the door and
washed their feet before going in the house.

So the foot fungus from the first person is spread to all the others?

Foot fungus is very rare in places where people don't wear shoes :-)

Nope. People walking barefoot in places where others do so as well are
the ones getting infected. The risk is usually highest in wet areas.
This is one of the reasons the US miltary encourages soldiers to wear
"shower shoes" when taking a shower.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15864252

Do some more reading.

Candida is a strain of fungus that can cause an infection in your
skin, among other locations. In normal conditions, your skin may host
small amounts of this fungus. Problems arise when it begins to
multiply and creates an overgrowth... The overriding conditions that
encourage fungus growth is "The fungus thrives in warm, moist, and
sweaty conditions."

But those canny Thais don't wash their feet in the common tub. what
they do is dip some clean water out of the tub and slosh it over their
feet to get them clean.

That's going to help a whole lot when someone has just stepped into a
blob of gooey sap from a pine tree. When I come home from MTB rides I
often have that under my shoes. Since they get swapped in the garage, no
problem.

Strange that it doesn't seem to be a problem in actual practice isn't
it? Or, at least in all the years that I've lived in Asia I've never
seen it be a problem.

But more to the point I grew up in New England where the pine tree
was, perhaps, the most common tree and unless you actually climbed a
pine tree we never got any sap on your feet. It doesn't just drip off
the trees to cover the ground.

But maybe California pine trees are different.

--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.[_3_] October 19th 17 07:40 AM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

[...]

Addendum: I came across this today. Apparently California is different
:-)
http://www.ehow.com/info_8691222_sti...e-needles.html
Pine needles may also be covered in a sticky substance caused by
disease and infestation, such as aphids, which are attracted to pine
trees. According to the University of California's Department of
Agriculture and Natural Resources, "Aphids are small, soft-bodied
insects with long, slender mouth parts that they use to pierce stems,
leaves, and other tender plant parts and suck out plant fluids." In
addition to causing openings in pine trees which may cause sap to
leak, the aphids themselves emit a sticky substance called honeydew.
--
Cheers,

John B.

(PeteCresswell) October 19th 17 05:04 PM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

Per Joerg:
Nope. People walking barefoot in places where others do so as well are
the ones getting infected. The risk is usually highest in wet areas.
This is one of the reasons the US miltary encourages soldiers to wear
"shower shoes" when taking a shower.

When I lived in Hawaii, the apartment downstairs was occupied by a
retired dermatologist.

She would give us hell whenever she saw us going barefoot - and here
admonitions were the main reason I switched to sandals.

She said Waikiki was an exceptionally bad place to go bare foot because
the hotel lobby carpets were full of microorganisms from all over the
world.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) October 19th 17 05:06 PM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

Per John B.:

As I told Joerg, just wash your feet :-)

I don't buy it when it comes to carpets.

Bare floors, maybe... but feet will still be damp after "Washing" and
that will affect the carpet over time.

Quotes because I strongly suspect "Washing" = "Quick rinse with clear
room-temperature water".
--
Pete Cresswell

Joerg[_2_] October 19th 17 05:49 PM

On 2017-10-19 09:04, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Joerg:
Nope. People walking barefoot in places where others do so as well are
the ones getting infected. The risk is usually highest in wet areas.
This is one of the reasons the US miltary encourages soldiers to wear
"shower shoes" when taking a shower.

When I lived in Hawaii, the apartment downstairs was occupied by a
retired dermatologist.

She would give us hell whenever she saw us going barefoot - and here
admonitions were the main reason I switched to sandals.

She said Waikiki was an exceptionally bad place to go bare foot because
the hotel lobby carpets were full of microorganisms from all over the
world.

I knew people who needed many month to get rid of a contracted foot fungus.

As a cyclist there is an added problem. If you ride barefoot, a traffic
light turns red, the asphalt was baking all day in the hot sun, you set
a foot down ... phssssss

Joerg[_2_] October 19th 17 05:57 PM

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

[...]

I came home from a long singletrack ride yesterday. The last couple of
miles are on asphalt and both tires emitted the usual lip-smacking
sounds. Had to stop before the garage, whip out the trusty old Swiss
Army knife and scrape the pine sap blobs out of the knobbies. Just
another normal day in paradise.

When helping another MTB rider fix a flat the drill here is to never
just grab a wheel with both hands without looking first. Goat's head
thorns are the main reason but also sap. Some kinds of sap won't come
off the skin with just soap and water.

[email protected] October 19th 17 06:49 PM

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

[...]

Joerg, you have the weirdest riding problems. Why would you worry about ecyclists on MTB trails or pine tar under pine trees?

Doug Landau October 19th 17 06:59 PM

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

[...]

little turpentine will do it tho

Doug Landau October 19th 17 07:01 PM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 9:15:46 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 7:33:39 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Are you guys old enough to remember Paul Dudley White, M.D., the eminent cardiologist and father of preventive cardiology through exercise? Really cool guy who served as Eisenhower's and LBJ's cardiologist. He believed in cycling, but he thought pushing a big gear was a better than spinning. Oh well, every guy is entitled to one mistake, right?

I don't remember Dr White, but I remember Jim Fixx, the prophet of jogging. I went off him when I discovered that his idea of a gourmet meal was a hamburger. He died at 52 while out jogging. Not exactly a recommendation.

What age did his dad reach?