CycleBanter.com

-   -   Bicycling & health benefits of? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254877)

[email protected] October 20th 17 04:38 PM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

On 2017-10-20 00:26, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 09:57:27 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-18 23:40, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 07:39:00 +0700, John B.

wrote:

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 07:57:02 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-17 20:52, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 07:47:55 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-16 18:59, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:52:51 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-16 04:16, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 10:02:00 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

And a walk is inexpensive.

Not really when seen per mile. I walk about two
miles every day so
that's around 700mi/year. A pair of $30 sports
shoes wears out within a
year so 4c/mile. I get more than that out of a
road bike rear tire.
Sandals don't wear out that fast for whatever
reason but can't be used
much in winter.

Get rid of the shoes. The feet are self healing
and will grow to
accommodate even black top pavement.

I would add, before you start you say it is
impossible, that Zola Budd
set the world 5,000 metre record running
barefoot. Her mile best of
4:17.57 in 1985, still stands as the British
record. Barefooted.

Oh, I could, since I already walk and bicycle with
sandals all summer
long. Problem is, without any shoes one carries
the dirt into the house
because you can't switch feet at the entrance
door, and that will make
the missus grumpy (rightfully so). Especially when
coming back from a
dirt trail.

How primitive. The Thais, who were essentially
shoeless in years gone
by solved the problem by placed a tub of water
outside the door and
washed their feet before going in the house.

So the foot fungus from the first person is spread
to all the others?

Foot fungus is very rare in places where people don't
wear shoes :-)

Nope. People walking barefoot in places where others
do so as well are
the ones getting infected. The risk is usually highest
in wet areas.
This is one of the reasons the US miltary encourages
soldiers to wear
"shower shoes" when taking a shower.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15864252

Do some more reading.

Candida is a strain of fungus that can cause an
infection in your
skin, among other locations. In normal conditions, your
skin may host
small amounts of this fungus. Problems arise when it
begins to
multiply and creates an overgrowth... The overriding
conditions that
encourage fungus growth is "The fungus thrives in warm,
moist, and
sweaty conditions."

But those canny Thais don't wash their feet in the
common tub. what
they do is dip some clean water out of the tub and
slosh it over their
feet to get them clean.

That's going to help a whole lot when someone has just
stepped into a
blob of gooey sap from a pine tree. When I come home
from MTB rides I
often have that under my shoes. Since they get swapped
in the garage, no
problem.

Strange that it doesn't seem to be a problem in actual
practice isn't
it? Or, at least in all the years that I've lived in
Asia I've never
seen it be a problem.

But more to the point I grew up in New England where
the pine tree
was, perhaps, the most common tree and unless you
actually climbed a
pine tree we never got any sap on your feet. It doesn't
just drip off
the trees to cover the ground.

But maybe California pine trees are different.

Addendum: I came across this today. Apparently
California is different
:-)
http://www.ehow.com/info_8691222_sti...e-needles.html

Pine needles may also be covered in a sticky substance
caused by
disease and infestation, such as aphids, which are
attracted to pine
trees. According to the University of California's
Department of
Agriculture and Natural Resources, "Aphids are small,
soft-bodied
insects with long, slender mouth parts that they use to
pierce stems,
leaves, and other tender plant parts and suck out plant
fluids." In
addition to causing openings in pine trees which may
cause sap to
leak, the aphids themselves emit a sticky substance
called honeydew.

I came home from a long singletrack ride yesterday. The
last couple of
miles are on asphalt and both tires emitted the usual
lip-smacking
sounds. Had to stop before the garage, whip out the
trusty old Swiss
Army knife and scrape the pine sap blobs out of the
knobbies. Just
another normal day in paradise.

When helping another MTB rider fix a flat the drill here
is to never
just grab a wheel with both hands without looking first.
Goat's head
thorns are the main reason but also sap. Some kinds of
sap won't come
off the skin with just soap and water.

Hmmm.... immigrate.

BTDT. There is always some hair in the soup, everywhere.

... No sticky pine globs of goat head thorns in many
parts of the world :-)

However, only four snakes in the US are poisonous. Then you
move to places like Australia and no goat's head thorns but
just about every snake is poisonous. Or you move to the
Caribbean where there is no winter but then cloud come up
and suddenly you bike route looks like this:

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset...70_nou pscale

'only four' sounds so benign and distant.

Unless your girlfriend's land is bordered by rocky hills
where these guys hang out in the sun:
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/EndangeredRe...ode=ARADE02040

Somebody named it 'horridus' for a reason.

(I'm not discounting Australia's famous killer fauna)

I spent perhaps 5 years collecting snakes and lizards and only saw one single rattlesnake in that entire time. Perhaps you're a reptile-o-phobe.

Andre Jute[_2_] October 20th 17 07:09 PM

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 3:48:54 PM UTC+1, Joerg wrote:
However, only four snakes in the US are poisonous. Then you move to
places like Australia and no goat's head thorns but just about every
snake is poisonous. Or you move to the Caribbean where there is no
winter but then cloud come up and suddenly you bike route looks like this:

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset...70_nou pscale

When you quote the Hufferpuffer you should fact-check every single word, or you will look as pompously ignorant as they are.

***Snakes are not poisonous. Snakes are venomous. A poisonous animal or plant produces toxins that are harmful when the animal or plant is touched or eaten, whereas a venomous snake or other creature is able to inject venom by means of its fangs, spines, or stingers.***

***
Among the snakes I've kept as pets are molesnakes, a luislang (an African constrictor, very affectionate when it is hungry), green and black mambas (handle by the tail only!), puffadders and various grass snakes. I was offered a black tree snake once but my innate good sense and my girlfriend intervened; no antidote, see, and you die painfully over about eight minutes. I've also kept tarantula (harmless if you're a calm person -- they used to sleep in my pockets), piranha (see The Piranha Pool Party in Hell, Connecticut at http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/t...l-connecticut/ for what happened to the poor little darlings), and so on. Currently I have a family of hedgehogs (well-mannered porcupines) and a family of foxes that live in the orchard behind the stables. I'd like to keep a bonobo (sort of extra-intelligent chimpanzee) again; I had four in sequence called MiniAndre I through IV but the administrative kerfuffle and fighting off the idiot animal-righters would take an horrendous amount of time. I took mine as babies at gunpoint off bush butchers who caged them to slaughter them for meat, but you can't make those dim bimbos understand that by releasing an animal who is used to a toilet and wearing a suit and sitting in a chair next to mine in board meetings back into the wild is simply a death sentence.

Andre Jute
Send three and sixpence, we're going to a dance.
(What a message sent by word of mouth, man to man along a chain, arrived as.. The original was,
Send reinforcements, we're going to advance.)

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

[...]

On my MTB I had at least half a dozen rattlesnake encounters. I ran over
a really fat one and another big one was stretched across the trail.
Thank God for disc brakes. He didn't rattle, just slowly turned his head
and looked at me. "Come on! Bring it on, man!". I politely declined and
retracted from the battle field.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Andre Jute[_2_] October 20th 17 07:13 PM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 3:38:24 PM UTC+1, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andre Jute:
I went off him when I discovered that his idea of a gourmet meal
was a hamburger. He died at 52 while out jogging. Not exactly a recommendation.

I cannot cite, but my recollection is that he was afflicted with
genetically-induced high cholesterol ("Familial Hypercholesterolemia").

My brother had it, didn't quite make it to 45.

My impression was - at least back then - that, if you've got it, you're
dead meat.
--
Pete Cresswell

Be interesting to know though, how long Mr Fixx Snr lived, indexed against life expectancy for males when he was born (nod of thanks to Tom for the context reminder).

Andre Jute
Demographic is these days the most exciting part of economic philosophy

Joerg[_2_] October 20th 17 07:44 PM

On 2017-10-20 08:31, wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 12:23:57 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:06:57 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per John B.:

As I told Joerg, just wash your feet :-)

I don't buy it when it comes to carpets.

Bare floors, maybe... but feet will still be damp after "Washing"
and that will affect the carpet over time.

Quotes because I strongly suspect "Washing" = "Quick rinse with
clear room-temperature water".

Well, if you have polished mahogany floors, or terrazzo, floors in
your abode and you wash your feet before you enter you won't have
problems with your carpet.

Carpets also add to the servants work load with all that vacuuming
and frequent visits by the carpet cleaning company. They will
applaud you when you get rid of them.

I have come to the conclusion that hardwood floors with area rugs are
much better than wall to wall carpets. These wall to wall crap
accumulators are nothing but trouble and for no added comfort.

That perception will change when our bodies start giving out and we need
canes or walkers. Or when Fido and Fluffy duke it out and the area rugs
go sailing for the impteenth time.

John B.[_3_] October 21st 17 01:57 AM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

[...]

And Australian snake bite fatalities have been low. between four to
six deaths a year from snake bites. Note that annual bicycle deaths in
California is in the 125 range.

winter but then cloud come up and suddenly you bike route looks like this:

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset...70_nou pscale

But from your posts here you seem to glory in riding through mud and
water. Got the disc brakes and all the fixings. I would have thought
that a flooded road would be duck's soup for you. And it would get
your feet clean :-)

Of course, if you are really worried you could attach floats. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb6ZeiWkxRM
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.[_3_] October 21st 17 02:04 AM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm 85 (this month) and my wife is 72 and so far we haven't had
any problems... terrazzo floors on the ground floor and polished
mahogany on the second.

No canes or walkers yet...
--
Cheers,

John B.

Doug Landau October 21st 17 02:58 AM

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

[...]

You were trying too hard. Had you been concentrating on doing something else, you would have almost stepped on several in that time, IME

Doug Landau October 21st 17 03:02 AM

Bicycling & health benefits of?

I don't remember Dr White, but I remember Jim Fixx, the prophet of jogging. I went off him when I discovered that his idea of a gourmet meal was a hamburger. He died at 52 while out jogging. Not exactly a recommendation.

What age did his dad reach?

Sorry, I thought it was well known. His dad also died of a heart attack. Right around the same age IIRC.

Andre Jute[_2_] October 21st 17 03:30 AM

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 3:02:37 AM UTC+1, Doug Landau wrote:
I don't remember Dr White, but I remember Jim Fixx, the prophet of jogging. I went off him when I discovered that his idea of a gourmet meal was a hamburger. He died at 52 while out jogging. Not exactly a recommendation.

What age did his dad reach?

Sorry, I thought it was well known. His dad also died of a heart attack. Right around the same age IIRC.

That proves that genetics are better forecasters than tree rings and tea leaves.

But now I'm wondering if his jogging didn't aggravate his genetic predisposition.

Andre Jute
The genes will get you