CycleBanter.com

-   -   27"x 1 1/4" tyres (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=53982)

nicoll October 25th 03 10:21 PM

27"x 1 1/4" tyres

I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are
Michelin and from the memory they were called international or continental.
The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the tread pattern was
continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and not zig
zags.

Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?
What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no
panniers)?
Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by mail order?

Thanks
Ian

Pete Biggs October 26th 03 01:05 AM

27"x 1 1/4" tyres

nicoll wrote:
I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have
are Michelin and from the memory they were called international or
continental. The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the
tread pattern was continuous lines which went round the circumference
of the tyre and not zig zags.

Don't think I know that model, sorry.

Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?

Unfortunately not. Very few models are still being made, it's mainly a
question of finding what old stock dealers and shops have left.

What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend
rides (no panniers)?

I used to use the Hutchinson Kevlar 27x1/14" for the same sort of rides
but I'm not sure if it's still avaialble. Most of the ones from the
suppliers mentioned below would probably do.
Michelin World Tour gets recommended sometimes but I've never been too
impressed with it myself. The casing or rubber isn't very tough yet it's
not light or fast either - best of no worlds, IMO. It is cheap, though,
and might be ok for your rides.
Schwalbe Marathon has a v good reputation.

Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by mail order?

27" tyres:
local bike shop
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm (£5 postage on sub £50 orders)
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/wheels.htm
http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/ (£10 min order for free post)

Tubes:
http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp (free post)
www.ebay.co.uk
http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/

note. 700c tubes will fit 27" tyres (though 700c tyres will not fit 27"
rims).

~PB

Dave Kahn October 26th 03 01:19 AM

27"x 1 1/4" tyres

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:21:14 +0000 (UTC), "nicoll"
wrote:

I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are
Michelin and from the memory they were called international or continental.

You may be confusing makes. Continental is also a tyre manufacturer.
I'm not aware of a Michelin Continental or a Michelin International.
That's not to say they don't exist of course.

The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the tread pattern was
continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and not zig
zags.

For riding on the road, even when it's wet, tread pattern is not
important. Generally the less of it the better.

Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?

I'm not sure about that either. It's easier to find lists of tyres by
make and model and then check to see what sizes each is available in.

What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no
panniers)?

Continental Top Touring, Continental Ultra Gatorskin, and Michelin
World Tour are all well regarded and all available in 27 X 1 1/4. This
size is also sometimes referred to under a different standard as
32-630. They are the same thing.

Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by mail order?

There are a number of places. www.wiggle.co.uk might be a good one to
start at.

--
Dave...

Zog The Undeniable October 26th 03 08:22 AM

27"x 1 1/4" tyres

nicoll wrote:

I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are
Michelin and from the memory they were called international or continental.
The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the tread pattern was
continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and not zig
zags.

Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?
What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no
panniers)?
Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by mail order?

For a faster tyre, Continental Sport tyres are a cheaper version of
their Grand Prix and look fairly similar. They're available in 27 x 1
1/4. the choice really isn't all that bad. 27" rims are getting rare
and expensive though, so watch out for potholes!

Pete Biggs October 29th 03 09:33 PM

27"x 1 1/4" tyres

I wrote:
I used to use the Hutchinson Kevlar 27x1/14" for the same sort of
rides but I'm not sure if it's still avaialble.

This is the one:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ReferID=bik...tID=5300003258

Since I don't think I'll ever go back 27", I'll get rid of the last
(lightly used) one I have. Look out for my ad.

~PB

Pete Biggs October 29th 03 10:01 PM

27"x 1 1/4" tyres

Pete Biggs wrote:
I wrote:
I used to use the Hutchinson Kevlar 27x1/14" for the same sort of
rides but I'm not sure if it's still avaialble.

This is the one:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ReferID=bik...tID=5300003258

Since I don't think I'll ever go back 27", I'll get rid of the last
(lightly used) one I have. Look out for my ad.

Sorry, deal's off. I've just found a bad cut in it. That would have been
v embarrassing if I'd sold it without spotting that! Shame because the
tread is hardly worn.

~PB

Zog The Undeniable October 30th 03 06:34 PM

27"x 1 1/4" tyres

nicoll wrote:

I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are
Michelin and from the memory they were called international or continental.
The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the tread pattern was
continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and not zig
zags.

Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?
What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no
panniers)?
Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by mail order?

If you're still after 27" stuff I have the following for sale because,
after a serious frame inspection last night, I've decided my old bike is
beyond economical repair. All these bits are completely unused and were
bought as "insurance" against the stuff becoming unavailable in futu

4 x Continental Supersport tyres in 27" x 1 1/8" (retail at £12 each -
I'll take £2 each)
4 x Specialized Turbo R tyres (folding bead) in 27" x 7/8" (retail at
£20 each - I'll take £2.50 each)
2 x alloy rims with eyelets, 36 hole drilling, I'll take £10 the pair.

The rims are particularly hard to get for sensible money these days.

Postage at cost if you're interested.

Roger

Mark Hay November 5th 03 08:43 PM

27"x 1 1/4" tyres

"Zog The Undeniable" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| nicoll wrote:
|
| I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres
I have are
| Michelin and from the memory they were called international
or continental.
| The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the tread
pattern was
| continuous lines which went round the circumference of the
tyre and not zig
| zags.
|
| Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres
anywhere?
| What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/
weekend rides (no
| panniers)?
| Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by
mail order?

| If you're still after 27" stuff I have the following for sale
because,
| after a serious frame inspection last night, I've decided my
old bike is
| beyond economical repair. All these bits are completely unused
and were
| bought as "insurance" against the stuff becoming unavailable in
futu

| 4 x Continental Supersport tyres in 27" x 1 1/8" (retail at
£12 each -
| I'll take £2 each)
| 4 x Specialized Turbo R tyres (folding bead) in 27" x 7/8"
(retail at
| £20 each - I'll take £2.50 each)
| 2 x alloy rims with eyelets, 36 hole drilling, I'll take £10
the pair.

| The rims are particularly hard to get for sensible money these
days.

| Postage at cost if you're interested.
|
| Roger

Michelin still do a tyre in this size called World Tour. I've
seen them in Halfords.

Mark