CycleBanter.com

-   -   Garmin on Linux (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=244461)

Joe Riel May 25th 14 03:51 PM

Garmin on Linux

I have a Garmin 205 that I'd like to use on Linux, without Wine.
I can upload the data but need a way to usefully graph/display it.
Before rolling my own, am wondering if anyone knows of something
suitable.

--
Joe Riel

Jeff Liebermann May 25th 14 04:31 PM

Garmin on Linux

On Sun, 25 May 2014 07:51:47 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

I have a Garmin 205 that I'd like to use on Linux, without Wine.
I can upload the data but need a way to usefully graph/display it.
Before rolling my own, am wondering if anyone knows of something
suitable.

There are various GPS data conversion web sites and programs
available.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com
http://www.gpsbabel.org
I've used GPSbabble for converting Gamin PCX files to formats that
GNUplot can digest. It gets all the tracks, waypoints, and routes.
For graph/display, I recommend GNUplot:
http://www.gnuplot.info
or export to KML for display in Google Earth.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Jeff Liebermann May 25th 14 04:43 PM

Garmin on Linux

On Sun, 25 May 2014 08:31:18 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2014 07:51:47 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

I have a Garmin 205 that I'd like to use on Linux, without Wine.
I can upload the data but need a way to usefully graph/display it.
Before rolling my own, am wondering if anyone knows of something
suitable.

There are various GPS data conversion web sites and programs
available.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com
http://www.gpsbabel.org
I've used GPSbabble for converting Gamin PCX files to formats that
GNUplot can digest. It gets all the tracks, waypoints, and routes.
For graph/display, I recommend GNUplot:
http://www.gnuplot.info
or export to KML for display in Google Earth.

Mo
https://code.google.com/p/gpxplot/
http://gpxplot.appspot.com
I just plotted some GPX files I found on my computah from a balloon
launch. The plot looks nice and shows the breaks where I manually
edited out glitchy data points.

There's also Prune, for manipulating GPX files for display on OSM
maps:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GpsPrune
http://www.linux-magazine.com/content/download/61937/483334/version/1/file/072-075_gps.pdf
http://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/
I haven't done anything with Prune, but it does look useful.

Joe Riel May 25th 14 09:12 PM

Garmin on Linux

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the many useful links. I'll post here if I come up
with something useful.

--
Joe Riel

Duane[_4_] May 25th 14 09:53 PM

Garmin on Linux

wrote:

[...]

Depends on what you want to do. I use Garmin Connect to manage my rides.
It requires a Garmin communicator plugin.

http://www.andreas-diesner.de/garmin...d=installation

You can also ask on the Garmin forum.
--
duane

James[_8_] May 25th 14 11:21 PM

Garmin on Linux

On 26/05/14 00:51, Joe Riel wrote:
I have a Garmin 205 that I'd like to use on Linux, without Wine.
I can upload the data but need a way to usefully graph/display it.
Before rolling my own, am wondering if anyone knows of something
suitable.

I used to use pyTrainer with an Edge 305.

I don't know about the 205, but with the 305 data format I also found
how to download the data and convert it to an acceptable format for
Strava - which is kinda kickass, IMHO.

--
JS

James[_8_] May 25th 14 11:24 PM

Garmin on Linux

On 26/05/14 00:51, Joe Riel wrote:
I have a Garmin 205 that I'd like to use on Linux, without Wine.
I can upload the data but need a way to usefully graph/display it.
Before rolling my own, am wondering if anyone knows of something
suitable.

Again, don't know if this works with a 205, but was good for the 305.

https://github.com/pytrainer

--
JS

Joe Riel May 25th 14 11:46 PM

Garmin on Linux

James writes:

On 26/05/14 00:51, Joe Riel wrote:
I have a Garmin 205 that I'd like to use on Linux, without Wine.
I can upload the data but need a way to usefully graph/display it.
Before rolling my own, am wondering if anyone knows of something
suitable.

Again, don't know if this works with a 205, but was good for the 305.

https://github.com/pytrainer

That should work, thanks. The 205 and 305 use the same format; my
wife has a 305 and I've looked at the dumps from each.

--
Joe Riel

Jeff Liebermann May 26th 14 01:33 AM

Garmin on Linux

On Mon, 26 May 2014 08:24:58 +1000, James
wrote:

On 26/05/14 00:51, Joe Riel wrote:
I have a Garmin 205 that I'd like to use on Linux, without Wine.
I can upload the data but need a way to usefully graph/display it.
Before rolling my own, am wondering if anyone knows of something
suitable.

Again, don't know if this works with a 205, but was good for the 305.
https://github.com/pytrainer

The 205 is on the supported devices list:
https://github.com/pytrainer/pytrainer/wiki/Supported-devices

[email protected] May 26th 14 12:17 PM

Garmin on Linux

Here's a use of the software from sci.geo.earthquakes.
Main interest is a large hill with a fracture down one side. If a quake caused a slide into the Atlantic, that tsunami would inundate the East Coast.

From CENTRINO...

"" https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Two images of Yellowstone sesimicity shared by AVCAN ("Canary Volcanic
Actually" in FaceBook)

That's how are organized, in the form of "bunches of grapes" earthquakes
incurred under the Yellowstone volcanic field from January 2013-today and
from January 2000-today

In the legend on the left, we can see a summary of the seismic activity on
both periods by date.

Both the color of the represented events, and the scale of the left, are
time-dependent.

A graph corresponds to the period 2013 to today, and a second from 2000
until today.

The latter, with a much wider range, allows us to observe on the left, in
the legend, the current activity, is a phase of increase in seismic
paroxysm.

But also there have been other similar phases before. Here the lines are
tighter, in this last graph, each stripe represents a period of more than
five days.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater ""