CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   27 inch tires make a comeback (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=190170)

ZBicyclist July 12th 08 02:08 AM

27 inch tires make a comeback

"When Steve Flagg reviewed his inventory reports recently, one item
jumped off the page-27-inch tires. "We were totally unprepared for
the demand in 27-inch tires," said Flagg, president of Quality
Bicycle Products.

"Wayne D. Gray, vice-president of KHS/FreeAgent Bicycles, noticed
the same trend. "We're seeing a lot of demand for them. It's people
taking their old Schwinn Varsity out of the garage and to a shop for
new tires and a tuneup." "

Sent to me by Bob Matter (who posts on a lot of sites, but not
r.b.m.)
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/1558.html

Tom Sherman[_2_] July 12th 08 04:10 AM

ZBicyclist wrote:
"When Steve Flagg reviewed his inventory reports recently, one item
jumped off the page-27-inch tires. "We were totally unprepared for
the demand in 27-inch tires," said Flagg, president of Quality
Bicycle Products.

"Wayne D. Gray, vice-president of KHS/FreeAgent Bicycles, noticed
the same trend. "We're seeing a lot of demand for them. It's people
taking their old Schwinn Varsity out of the garage and to a shop for
new tires and a tuneup." "

They could always convert their bicycles to ISO 684-mm (aka 650B)
instead. ;)

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.

peter July 12th 08 04:29 AM

27 inch tires make a comeback

On Jul 11, 8:10 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
ZBicyclist wrote:
"When Steve Flagg reviewed his inventory reports recently, one item
jumped off the page-27-inch tires. "We were totally unprepared for
the demand in 27-inch tires," said Flagg, president of Quality
Bicycle Products.

"Wayne D. Gray, vice-president of KHS/FreeAgent Bicycles, noticed
the same trend. "We're seeing a lot of demand for them. It's people
taking their old Schwinn Varsity out of the garage and to a shop for
new tires and a tuneup." "

They could always convert their bicycles to ISO 684-mm (aka 650B)
instead. ;)

650B is ISO 584 mm (not 684) bead diameter which is a considerable
jump from the 630 mm of the "27 inch" size. Conversion to 700C (622
mm) is frequently feasible, but hardly economic for most owners of an
old Schwinn Varsity.

It is an encouraging trend though to see that many are taking the old
bikes out of storage and putting them back to use. And this should
lead to continued availability of the 27" tires I have on our tandem.
Ironically, when I built the wheels for it many years ago I
deliberately chose 27" instead of 700C because of the greater
availability of tires at that time.

Tom Sherman[_2_] July 12th 08 04:44 AM

27 inch tires make a comeback

Peter Rathman wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:10 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
ZBicyclist wrote:
"When Steve Flagg reviewed his inventory reports recently, one item
jumped off the page-27-inch tires. "We were totally unprepared for
the demand in 27-inch tires," said Flagg, president of Quality
Bicycle Products.
"Wayne D. Gray, vice-president of KHS/FreeAgent Bicycles, noticed
the same trend. "We're seeing a lot of demand for them. It's people
taking their old Schwinn Varsity out of the garage and to a shop for
new tires and a tuneup." "

They could always convert their bicycles to ISO 684-mm (aka 650B)
instead. ;)

650B is ISO 584 mm (not 684) bead diameter

Why do they put the "5" key next to the "6" key?

which is a considerable
jump from the 630 mm of the "27 inch" size. Conversion to 700C (622
mm) is frequently feasible, but hardly economic for most owners of an
old Schwinn Varsity.

Have you missed all the discussion about Grant Peterson promoting the
ISO 584-mm size?

It is an encouraging trend though to see that many are taking the old
bikes out of storage and putting them back to use. And this should
lead to continued availability of the 27" tires I have on our tandem.
Ironically, when I built the wheels for it many years ago I
deliberately chose 27" instead of 700C because of the greater
availability of tires at that time.

Bring back ISO 587-mm (700D)!!!

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.

Mike Jacoubowsky July 12th 08 07:10 AM

"ZBicyclist" wrote in message ...
| "When Steve Flagg reviewed his inventory reports recently, one item
| jumped off the page-27-inch tires. "We were totally unprepared for
| the demand in 27-inch tires," said Flagg, president of Quality
| Bicycle Products.
|
| "Wayne D. Gray, vice-president of KHS/FreeAgent Bicycles, noticed
| the same trend. "We're seeing a lot of demand for them. It's people
| taking their old Schwinn Varsity out of the garage and to a shop for
| new tires and a tuneup." "
|

| Sent to me by Bob Matter (who posts on a lot of sites, but not
| r.b.m.)
| http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/1558.html

The "story" isn't about 27" tires making some sort of a comeback. Rather, it's about people taking old bikes out of the garage and wanting to ride them again. A noble gesture, but most of these bikes are way past their shelf life, and usually aren't worth bringing back to life. You could spend a whole lot of money fixing up some of those old relics, and usually still not have something as practical or comfortable as a common hybrid.

The most-common issue with the Schwinn Varsity, as seen a couple times/week at the shop? People not understanding that the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire relates to installation on a decent-quality rim with a hooked edge. The old Schwinns had smooth sidewalls on the rims, and a tire rated at 90psi will likely blow out at 60psi.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

peter July 12th 08 07:16 AM

27 inch tires make a comeback

On Jul 11, 8:44 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Peter Rathman wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:10 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
They could always convert their bicycles to ISO 684-mm (aka 650B)
instead. ;)

650B is ISO 584 mm (not 684) bead diameter

Why do they put the "5" key next to the "6" key?

which is a considerable
jump from the 630 mm of the "27 inch" size. Conversion to 700C (622
mm) is frequently feasible, but hardly economic for most owners of an
old Schwinn Varsity.

Have you missed all the discussion about Grant Peterson promoting the
ISO 584-mm size?

I don't think even Grant advocates conversion of frames made for 630
mm and long-reach brakes to 584 mm. Doing it for frames made for 622
mm and short-reach brakes is bad enough, but at least it's frequently
rather straight forward.

Pat[_11_] July 12th 08 05:59 PM

27 inch tires make a comeback

The "story" isn't about 27" tires making some sort of a comeback. Rather,
it's about people taking old bikes out of the garage and wanting to ride
them again. A noble gesture, but most of these bikes are way past their
shelf life, and usually aren't worth bringing back to life. You could spend
a whole lot of money fixing up some of those old relics, and usually still
not have something as practical or comfortable as a common hybrid.

The most-common issue with the Schwinn Varsity, as seen a couple times/week
at the shop? People not understanding that the pressure listed on the
sidewall of the tire relates to installation on a decent-quality rim with a
hooked edge. The old Schwinns had smooth sidewalls on the rims, and a tire
rated at 90psi will likely blow out at 60psi.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles

Amen! A neighbor hauled out an old Schwinn and asked how much it would cost
to get it up and running, and after I got over $200, she decided to look
into newer technology. Plus, it weighed about 60 pounds!

Pat in TX

ZBicyclist July 12th 08 11:11 PM

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

Yes, you need a different tire. I think they were S-7 (not 27). I
think the equivalent 26 inch was an S-6. You can still get these
tires, but they are hard to find. Plus those rims are likely to be
steel.

Frank Krygowski[_2_] July 13th 08 01:04 AM

On Jul 12, 2:10*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

The "story" isn't about 27" tires making some sort of a comeback. Rather, it's about people taking old bikes out of the garage and wanting to ride them again. A noble gesture, but most of these bikes are way past their shelf life, and usually aren't worth bringing back to life. You could spend a whole lot of money fixing up some of those old relics, and usually still not have something as practical or comfortable as a common hybrid.

The most-common issue with the Schwinn Varsity, as seen a couple times/week at the shop? People not understanding that the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire relates to installation on a decent-quality rim with a hooked edge. The old Schwinns had smooth sidewalls on the rims, and a tire rated at 90psi will likely blow out at 60psi.

I understand your point about the rims, but I've known people who
resurrected old bikes and did absolutely fine. I know of a lighter
weight Schwinn (not Varsity) from about 1985 and a Raleigh road bike
from about the same era. Both had decent quality Sun Tour components
and are being ridden happily. Chains and cogs weren't even worn. I
believe the Schwinn didn't even need new tires.

If many components are beat up, I could understand your judgment. But
surely, many bikes get barely ridden before their owners lose
interest. Do you see problems with those being resurrected?

- Frank Krygowski

Will July 13th 08 01:06 AM

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
most of these bikes are way past their shelf life, and usually aren't worth bringing back to life. You could spend a whole lot of money fixing up some of those old relics, and usually still not have
something as practical or comfortable as a common hybrid.

Yes indeed. Thousands of Trek and Raleigh and Bianchi double butted,
lugged, 531 frames. Relics.

Come on Mike.... you know a 1985 Trek is worth riding today. Heck... a
1985 Trek 520 or 620 is better than the stuff Trek's replaced them
with.