CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "Strange" object attached to downtube (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=93042)

V-Mook August 9th 05 12:00 AM

"Strange" object attached to downtube

Check out:

http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
bike?

I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
explanation of what they are.

TIA,

'mook

[email protected] August 9th 05 12:07 AM

"Strange" object attached to downtube

traditionally, that's a coke holder.

Hank Wirtz August 9th 05 12:34 AM

"Strange" object attached to downtube

"V-Mook" wrote in message
oups.com...
Check out:

http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
bike?

Looks like a waterbottle to me....

(ducks)

Diablo Scott August 9th 05 12:44 AM

V-Mook wrote:

Check out:

http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
bike?

I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
explanation of what they are.

TIA,

'mook

I asked this same question two years ago and started a long thread.
It's a "gonfleur", a tire inflator, but not a pump, and not CO2. Lots
of other interesting conjecture though. Here's the archive link.
http://tinyurl.com/8bc8b

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Paul Hobson August 9th 05 04:07 AM

V-Mook wrote:
Check out:

http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
bike?

I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
explanation of what they are.

TIA,

'mook

Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

maxo August 9th 05 04:38 AM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

:D

Paul Hobson August 9th 05 05:09 AM

maxo wrote:
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

:D

I seriously want one for my Peugeot fixie!

ps maxo: can I email you some SS questions?

David L. Johnson August 9th 05 05:11 AM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:38:50 +0000, maxo wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ

Paul Hobson August 9th 05 05:17 AM

maxo wrote:
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

:D

Also, tell me this isn't the coolest thing ever:

http://disaster.nu/surloid2.jpg