CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=2201)

Peter April 29th 04 04:16 AM

Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub?

Is it possible to put a 9 gear Shimano Cluster onto a 7 gear Exage cassette.
That is will the spacer and cogs fit (ie. be the right diameter for the
body) even if you have to leave off 1 gear?

Zoot Katz April 29th 04 06:57 AM

Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub?

Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:16:19 -0400,
, "Peter"
wrote:

Is it possible to put a 9 gear Shimano Cluster onto a 7 gear Exage cassette.
That is will the spacer and cogs fit (ie. be the right diameter for the
body) even if you have to leave off 1 gear?

Apparently, yes. You'd have to replace the freehub or settle for 8
nine speed cogs and use nine speed chain..

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7
--
zk

Peter April 29th 04 07:50 AM

Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub?

I thank you Mr. "Zoot Katz" from the bottom of my heart! Now I finaly have
the info I need.

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:16:19 -0400,
, "Peter"

Zoot Katz April 29th 04 08:52 AM

Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub?

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 02:50:53 -0400,
,
"Peter" wrote:

I thank you Mr. "Zoot Katz" from the bottom of my heart! Now I finaly have
the info I need.

Thank Sheldon Brown.

Mark that site. It's got everything.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Technical questions not covered there generally get a better response
in rec.bicycles.tech

'Page Down' puts the cursor right under the bottom line.
--
zk

Peter April 29th 04 09:52 AM

Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub?

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
(snipped)
Thank Sheldon Brown.

I will!!!

Mark that site. It's got everything.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

DONE!!!

Technical questions not covered there generally get a better response
in rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks, but I tried there first.