CycleBanter.com

-   -   Innertube Stems (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254985)

[email protected] October 26th 17 06:28 PM

Innertube Stems

Since I got the Silca Professional floor pump from Andrew one thing has been a real pain in the butt. The threaded stems make it difficult to push the head on and pull it off.

I bought a whole load of inner tubes some time ago. While using them some of the inner tubes had the threadless stems. This makes it much easier to use ether with the floor pump of the CO2 fillers.

But looking through the innertubes for sale on eBay not one of them shows these threadless stems with a stem length over 51 mm to fit my Campy rims.

Does anyone know a source?

Doug Landau October 26th 17 07:19 PM

Innertube Stems

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 10:28:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Since I got the Silca Professional floor pump from Andrew one thing has been a real pain in the butt. The threaded stems make it difficult to push the head on and pull it off.

I bought a whole load of inner tubes some time ago. While using them some of the inner tubes had the threadless stems. This makes it much easier to use ether with the floor pump of the CO2 fillers.

But looking through the innertubes for sale on eBay not one of them shows these threadless stems with a stem length over 51 mm to fit my Campy rims.

Does anyone know a source?

REI is selling a half smooth half threaded tube

AMuzi October 26th 17 08:20 PM

Innertube Stems

On 10/26/2017 12:28 PM, wrote:
Since I got the Silca Professional floor pump from Andrew one thing has been a real pain in the butt. The threaded stems make it difficult to push the head on and pull it off.

I bought a whole load of inner tubes some time ago. While using them some of the inner tubes had the threadless stems. This makes it much easier to use ether with the floor pump of the CO2 fillers.

But looking through the innertubes for sale on eBay not one of them shows these threadless stems with a stem length over 51 mm to fit my Campy rims.

Does anyone know a source?

Michelins go to 60mm.
The Airstop is threaded, the Aircomp is smooth.

Regarding your pump head, slack the threaded collar which
holds the rubber seal. It will seal well under pressure even
if it's easy to slip over the valve stem. Further tightening
after the seal is worn can compress the seal as needed. If
it's hard to remove, just unscrew that cap slightly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Doug Landau October 26th 17 09:38 PM

Innertube Stems

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 10:28:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Since I got the Silca Professional floor pump from Andrew one thing has been a real pain in the butt. The threaded stems make it difficult to push the head on and pull it off.

I bought a whole load of inner tubes some time ago. While using them some of the inner tubes had the threadless stems. This makes it much easier to use ether with the floor pump of the CO2 fillers.

But looking through the innertubes for sale on eBay not one of them shows these threadless stems with a stem length over 51 mm to fit my Campy rims.

Does anyone know a source?

As I mentioned here, one day shortly after seeing Jobst espouse the benefits of an inline pressure-release for Silca chucks, I found a box of these at the local surplus shop.

http://tinyurl.com/jobstianpump

I'll mail ya one if you want

[email protected] October 26th 17 11:33 PM

Innertube Stems

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 11:19:47 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 10:28:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Since I got the Silca Professional floor pump from Andrew one thing has been a real pain in the butt. The threaded stems make it difficult to push the head on and pull it off.

I bought a whole load of inner tubes some time ago. While using them some of the inner tubes had the threadless stems. This makes it much easier to use ether with the floor pump of the CO2 fillers.

But looking through the innertubes for sale on eBay not one of them shows these threadless stems with a stem length over 51 mm to fit my Campy rims.

Does anyone know a source?

REI is selling a half smooth half threaded tube

That sounds good. I'll stop by.

[email protected] October 26th 17 11:37 PM

Innertube Stems

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 12:20:26 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/26/2017 12:28 PM, wrote:
[...]

Looked them up and man do they have strange prices - everything from $8 to $50 apiece. But I ordered 5 of the $8 ones.

[email protected] October 26th 17 11:42 PM

Innertube Stems

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 1:38:46 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 10:28:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Since I got the Silca Professional floor pump from Andrew one thing has been a real pain in the butt. The threaded stems make it difficult to push the head on and pull it off.

I bought a whole load of inner tubes some time ago. While using them some of the inner tubes had the threadless stems. This makes it much easier to use ether with the floor pump of the CO2 fillers.

But looking through the innertubes for sale on eBay not one of them shows these threadless stems with a stem length over 51 mm to fit my Campy rims.

Does anyone know a source?

As I mentioned here, one day shortly after seeing Jobst espouse the benefits of an inline pressure-release for Silca chucks, I found a box of these at the local surplus shop.

http://tinyurl.com/jobstianpump

I'll mail ya one if you want

The pump that my favorite bike shop had was a Silca Pro and the chuck looked like the one in that picture. But the outer ring would pull back and release all of the pressure off of an o-ring in the nozzle. Then it would simply slide right off of the stem threaded or not.

The newer type of rubber washer certainly looks like it will last a whole lot longer but the disadvantage is it is so difficult to slide on and pull off.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] October 27th 17 12:12 AM

Innertube Stems

On 10/26/2017 6:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

FWIW, I usually lick a bit of saliva onto my fingers, then use that to
moisten the valve stem before I apply the pump head. It works for me,
but YMMV.

--
- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] October 28th 17 12:22 AM

Innertube Stems

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 4:12:33 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/26/2017 6:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

I won't make the expected Slime comment.

[email protected] October 29th 17 11:11 PM

Innertube Stems

As Andy mentioned, Michelin makes smooth presta stems in every length. Order them from Europe to get better prices. Also replace the chuck on the Silca pump with a Topeak head and hose. The head operates with a lever and works perfectly. Unlike the Silca chucks.