CycleBanter.com

-   -   general rules for wear and tear on a road bike (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=156823)

[email protected] February 26th 07 12:05 AM

general rules for wear and tear on a road bike

Hello,
Is there a general rule of thumb for things wearing out?
I am up to 2,150km and it is all still all original
tires, mine have a few small cuts, they look pretty bald??? I still
have not had one flat tire yet.

chain sprockets
brake pads, the brakes have been tightened a few times
These items look ok, to me but is there a point where these should be
replaced?

When it is time for a new sprockets and delrailer (i have 105), can i
upgrade to ultegra, without changing my shifters on my handlebars?

PiledHigher February 26th 07 12:29 AM

general rules for wear and tear on a road bike

Some best estimates from my experience:

Tyres 3-5000km
Chains 3-6000km
Casettes 2-3 chains
Chainrings 2-3 cassettes
Frames 50,000km
Wheels 10-20,000km
Headsets 10-20,000km
Bottom Brackets 20,000km
Brake pads 1-5000km (very weather dependant)
Saddles 20,000km
Handlebar tape 10,000km

YMMV!

Phil, Non-Squid February 26th 07 12:34 AM

wrote:
Hello,
Is there a general rule of thumb for things wearing out?
I am up to 2,150km and it is all still all original
tires, mine have a few small cuts, they look pretty bald??? I still
have not had one flat tire yet.

chain sprockets
brake pads, the brakes have been tightened a few times
These items look ok, to me but is there a point where these should be
replaced?

When it is time for a new sprockets and delrailer (i have 105), can i
upgrade to ultegra, without changing my shifters on my handlebars?

For functionality, 105 is just as good as Ultegra.
--
Phil

[email protected] February 26th 07 01:30 AM

general rules for wear and tear on a road bike

thanks,
how many km's does everyone do a year?
I have had my bike 8 months and done 2,150km's
How many do people do in a normal week?
i do 20kms each week day and something extra if i get time on the
weekend 24kms.

When is a good time to trade in on a bike? I am only thinking of
doing it so i can get a better one.

Marian February 26th 07 05:27 AM

On Feb 26, 9:30 am, wrote:
thanks,
how many km's does everyone do a year?
I have had my bike 8 months and done 2,150km's
How many do people do in a normal week?
i do 20kms each week day and something extra if i get time on the
weekend 24kms.

When is a good time to trade in on a bike? I am only thinking of
doing it so i can get a better one.

Since I've yet to hit two years as a cyclist it is hard to really say
what normal is... however, I can make a guess at between 200-400km.
Weather dependent. Schedule dependent.

Best month had around 1700km.

David L. Johnson February 26th 07 06:25 AM

wrote:
Hello,
Is there a general rule of thumb for things wearing out?
I am up to 2,150km and it is all still all original

That is not so far for most things.

tires, mine have a few small cuts, they look pretty bald??? I still
have not had one flat tire yet.

Tires should last more like 2-4K miles, so you have at least a thousand
km before you should be wearing out all but the most flimsy of tires.
Still, some brands last better than others. Bald is irrelevant (so I
keep telling myself), what matters is performance. Tread will not
affect that. Worry when you see cord, or when you start getting a lot
of flats.

chain sprockets
brake pads, the brakes have been tightened a few times
These items look ok, to me but is there a point where these should be
replaced?

In short, yes, for the brake pads and sprockets -- and chain. Changing
the chain when it is stretched by 1/16" over a 12" span will keep the
sprockets and chainrings in good shape for several thousand miles.
Brake arches are good forever, essentially.

When it is time for a new sprockets and delrailer (i have 105), can i
upgrade to ultegra, without changing my shifters on my handlebars?

yes, but derailleurs should last considerably longer than sprockets;
tens of thousands of miles. The rotating parts will eventually wear, at
which time it is probably not worth repairing, but that will take a while.

--

David L. Johnson

It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can only be
cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and Colnagos are a lot
cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

David L. Johnson February 26th 07 06:30 AM

wrote:
thanks,
how many km's does everyone do a year?

As many as we can, most of us here.

I have had my bike 8 months and done 2,150km's

Good.

How many do people do in a normal week?

100 miles is a good weekend. 50 miles is OK, less sucks. For me,
during the week, it's just commuting.

When is a good time to trade in on a bike? I am only thinking of
doing it so i can get a better one.

Forget trading in a used bike. Shops don't want them. You get very
little for most used bikes. Get a new one, keep the old, one is silver
and the other gold. (Sorry about that, it popped into my head). I've
sold one bike in my life, and thrown two away that broke. One got
stolen. Still have my first road bike, which I bought in 1970, and
which I use for commuting.

--

David L. Johnson

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries,
and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove
mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

ddog February 26th 07 11:42 AM

general rules for wear and tear on a road bike

On Feb 26, 1:30 am, "David L. Johnson"
How many do people do in a normal week?

100 miles is a good weekend. 50 miles is OK, less sucks. For me,
during the week, it's just commuting.

David L. Johnson

Wow, that's great Dave. You must be in excellent condition and/or an
athlete
I bet you do wear some bike parts out.

Qui si parla Campagnolo February 26th 07 01:54 PM

On Feb 25, 5:29 pm, "PiledHIgher" wrote:
Some best estimates from my experience:

Tyres 3-5000km
Chains 3-6000km
Casettes 2-3 chains
Chainrings 2-3 cassettes
Frames 50,000km
Wheels 10-20,000km
Headsets 10-20,000km
Bottom Brackets 20,000km
Brake pads 1-5000km (very weather dependant)
Saddles 20,000km
Handlebar tape 10,000km

YMMV!

YMMV is correct. A well made bicycle frame should last forever, way
beyond 30,000 miles or 5 years or so for a lot of riders. Similar for
headsets and wheels.

[email protected] February 26th 07 02:08 PM

general rules for wear and tear on a road bike

when i began bike maintenance, the lbs pointedly told me that most
bikes no matter the price-they sell cannondale as an lbs chain-are
worn out in a year from lack of cleaning and lubrication eg wax at
shifters cable ends brake pivots.
go down to and up to various income level bike racks and take a look-
wear out!
the well maintained bike is a rarity.