CycleBanter.com

-   -   0200 hrs Shimmy onset. (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=246487)

Sir Ridesalot March 14th 15 09:43 PM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

Went to the 24 hours store today at 0200. On the way back on a downhill run I hit an expansion crack on the road the bicycle began to shimmy really badly.

At first I thought I'd punctured. Got stopped safely and felt the tire. it was still hard. Checked the spokes and none were broken. Wiggled the rear rack to see if it was looses or broken. Nope but the rack did move. Took the light off the front and shone it at the bike. Oh BOY! Lookie here to see what caused that shimmy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...n/photostream/

Really glad that the entire back end didn't come off!

I guess this bicycle goes to the scrap heap after I strip off all the usseable stuff.

Cheers

Frank Krygowski[_4_] March 14th 15 10:50 PM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

On 3/14/2015 5:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Went to the 24 hours store today at 0200. On the way back on a downhill run I hit an expansion crack on the road the bicycle began to shimmy really badly.

At first I thought I'd punctured. Got stopped safely and felt the tire. it was still hard. Checked the spokes and none were broken. Wiggled the rear rack to see if it was looses or broken. Nope but the rack did move. Took the light off the front and shone it at the bike. Oh BOY! Lookie here to see what caused that shimmy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...n/photostream/

Really glad that the entire back end didn't come off!

I guess this bicycle goes to the scrap heap after I strip off all the usseable stuff.

Cheers

Yow. Yeah, that's pretty undesirable.

What kind of bike? How old?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot March 14th 15 11:05 PM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 6:50:15 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Phoenix Ditch Pig 30+ years old I think.

Cheers

[email protected] March 14th 15 11:38 PM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

http://goo.gl/ILBc1T

GUILTY !

Sir Ridesalot March 15th 15 12:48 AM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 6:25:10 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Went to the 24 hours store today at 0200. On the way back on a downhill
run I hit an expansion crack on the road the bicycle began to shimmy really badly.

At first I thought I'd punctured. Got stopped safely and felt the tire.
it was still hard. Checked the spokes and none were broken. Wiggled the
rear rack to see if it was looses or broken. Nope but the rack did move.
Took the light off the front and shone it at the bike. Oh BOY! Lookie
here to see what caused that shimmy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...n/photostream/

Really glad that the entire back end didn't come off!

I guess this bicycle goes to the scrap heap after I strip off all the usseable stuff.

Cheers

Yikes!

--
duane

What really got me is that it ripped the metal out of the seat tube. You can see the seatpost through the holes where the seatstays used to be.

Cheers

Duane[_4_] March 15th 15 01:48 AM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Could have been nasty.

--
duane

Peter Howard[_6_] March 15th 15 02:21 AM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I assumed that the Phoenix Ditch Pig name was your satirical invention,
like the Nameless Cycles (not my idea) home-made decals I stuck on a
couple of my bikes. The frames of those weren't quite extracted from a
ditch but they did come off the garbage tip.
Something made me google the Phoenix Ditch Pig and I was astonished to
learn that the brand really existed!
Your photo reminds me how small the welds are when designers use the
classic seat stay decoratively bevelled at the top and tacked to the
sides of the seat tube or the seat tube lug if there is one. I just made
a quick survey of my herd. All but one use the probably stronger
arrangement where the seat stays are butted to the rear of the seat tube
with a weld all round the circumference of each stay.
One of my tip queens, a GT Avalanche 3.0 rain bike uses a more
complicated seat tube cluster design.

http://tinyurl.com/pxnrafz
It seems to be a feature of GT hardtail MTBs and road bikes to this day.
Not an original idea of course. Many bike builders used it before GT
ever came on the scene.
PH

James[_8_] March 15th 15 07:18 AM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

On 15/03/15 07:43, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Went to the 24 hours store today at 0200. On the way back on a
downhill run I hit an expansion crack on the road the bicycle began
to shimmy really badly.

At first I thought I'd punctured. Got stopped safely and felt the
tire. it was still hard. Checked the spokes and none were broken.
Wiggled the rear rack to see if it was looses or broken. Nope but the
rack did move. Took the light off the front and shone it at the bike.
Oh BOY! Lookie here to see what caused that shimmy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...n/photostream/

Really glad that the entire back end didn't come off!

I guess this bicycle goes to the scrap heap after I strip off all the
usseable stuff.

I would have thought that was repairable. Torch and braze...

--
JS

Tosspot[_3_] March 15th 15 07:54 AM

0200 hrs Shimmy onset.

On 14/03/15 22:43, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Went to the 24 hours store today at 0200. On the way back on a downhill run I hit an expansion crack on the road the bicycle began to shimmy really badly.

At first I thought I'd punctured. Got stopped safely and felt the tire. it was still hard. Checked the spokes and none were broken. Wiggled the rear rack to see if it was looses or broken. Nope but the rack did move. Took the light off the front and shone it at the bike. Oh BOY! Lookie here to see what caused that shimmy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...n/photostream/

Eeeek!!

Really glad that the entire back end didn't come off!

I guess this bicycle goes to the scrap heap after I strip off all the usseable stuff.

Bit of gaffer tape and it'll be fine...