CycleBanter.com

-   -   New bike for Jay (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254313)

David Scheidt July 28th 17 10:10 PM

New bike for Jay

Joy Beeson wrote:
:On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten miles.

Jay's a camel.

--
sig 42

JBeattie July 28th 17 11:57 PM

New bike for Jay

wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I don't go into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with a rack so I can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on a day ride.

-- Jay Beattie.

Joerg[_2_] July 29th 17 01:00 AM

New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27 Jul
2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more than
two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I don't go
into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with a rack so I
can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

A few week ago time I also hauled a homebrewed IPA in a stainless 16oz
thermos. Plus a nice lunch with crunchy bread baked for the trub (the
residue at the bottom of a beer fermenter). Plus a pristine view where I
had lunch:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/SouthFork1.JPG

The was no drinking water source the whole 20mi and it was up and down
all the time.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle bosses
and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding trails in
the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or some other
option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on a day ride.

A hydration pack is what most riders use around here and, consequently,
end up with sweat-soaked backs when it's 100F or or. They also regularly
run out of water which means a detour that I don't have to take.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

[email protected] July 29th 17 01:47 AM

New bike for Jay

What is a gravel bike n why in Portland ?

if I search 'gravel bikes' am I locating that type bike you want or bought...the linked bike is the bike bought for commuting ?

[email protected] July 29th 17 01:52 AM

New bike for Jay

Tires ?

AMuzi July 29th 17 01:58 AM

New bike for Jay

On 7/28/2017 7:52 PM, wrote:
Tires ?

Good idea.
Rims without tires suffer poor cornering.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Frank Krygowski[_4_] July 29th 17 02:14 AM

New bike for Jay

On 7/28/2017 8:00 PM, Joerg wrote:

The was no drinking water source the whole 20mi and it was up and down
all the time.

Gosh!

--
- Frank Krygowski

JBeattie July 29th 17 03:44 AM

New bike for Jay

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 5:47:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
What is a gravel bike n why in Portland ?

if I search 'gravel bikes' am I locating that type bike you want or bought...the linked bike is the bike bought for commuting ?

Low bottom bracket, fender clearance and disc brakes. Gravel bikes are perfect commuters. The geometry is just like a 1975 touring bike with a longer head tube. Get an aluminum or steel one if you want fenders. Plus, we have lots of gravel. Here's some happy campers on gravel bikes do a ride I did a few weeks ago -- on my Roubaix. http://www.pathlesspedaled.com/2015/...ned-beef-hash/ Alex Barr Road is really steep. It doesn't show in those pictures. I also didn't take the train to get out of town. I took a MUP and some roads.

I really got the bike because it was practically half price, and I always wanted one. I have dreams of more serious gravel riding. I've got so many spare parts now that I might build an beater commuter for the winter. Maybe steel!

-- Jay Beattie.

[email protected] July 29th 17 04:13 AM

New bike for Jay

List is too much. Good deal.

Way more trail than my trekker with more tire seat post clearance. Is a 2.0" possible ?

Tried larger front narrower rear ?

My warped perspective on using this frame for commuting n not round the stumps warps prob caws ura seriously stronger rider.

Seat post sitting is hill climbing n then stand to negotiate or power ... with less from the rear placed seat post/saddle.

Until I get to gravity gravel ...the geo means lost power ...with JB the long trail mtb/cx is but another hill.

Bummer on the size. Most everything is too ergo tight. The Raleigh is too short...muh butt sores. All those exotic hiking boots...water sneakers.

With a linger stroke yawl get max more from the hill climb position.

Spec may sell a long mount saddle goes back further ..I have Ritchey 4 clamp mount ..carrying spare hardware n a round cabinet magnet.

How'the hub gen fitting in ?

Doc O'Leary[_21_] July 29th 17 02:51 PM

New bike for Jay

For your reference, records indicate that

wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten miles.

Jay's a camel.

Or maybe he just doesn’t ride in a desert. I can certainly go 20-25
miles with a regular sized water bottle in moderate ~75F/24C
conditions. I’ve gone on winter bike rides where I’ve gone that far
and drunk half as much.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly