CycleBanter.com

-   -   Commuting / New Bike Question (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=246611)

[email protected] March 30th 15 09:17 AM

Commuting / New Bike Question

Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

Peter Keller[_3_] March 30th 15 09:41 AM

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 01:17:23 -0700, voyager1space wrote:

Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an
issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

I do not use a "nice" bike for commuting. I use a well-maintained
clunker. It is very comfortable, not much slower than a "nice" bike and
much less prone to theft. I'd still secure it somewhere, though.
Having a RED bike may make you more visible on the road. That has to be
a plus.

Roger Merriman[_4_] March 30th 15 09:52 AM

wrote:

Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

I don't as such but plenty do.

rather depends on your commute? mine is short distance though a Royal
Park so it's a fairly gritty ride, that chews though chains in no time
etc.

But friends have longer faster commutes where a nice road bike makes
more sence.

I'd be more worried about secure parking.

Roger merriman

Nick[_4_] March 30th 15 12:30 PM

On 30/03/2015 09:17, wrote:
Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

I use a similar bike. It has been fine, but my previous similar Trek
only lasted 4 years before its frame broke (rear chain stay) due to the
pounding it got.

[email protected] March 30th 15 03:27 PM

Commuting / New Bike Question

Thanks all.

My commute at the moment is 12 miles so not too bad.

I think using a "clunker" might be best.

The Medway Handyman[_4_] March 30th 15 06:00 PM

On 30/03/2015 09:17, wrote:
Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

There is no such thing as a nice bike.

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an issue.

It is. So is having a blue bike, a yellow bike, a green bike etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Tosspot[_3_] March 30th 15 08:06 PM

On 30/03/15 10:17, wrote:
Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Well mine has come in at over a grand. Eventually. Not counting the
replacement Alfine-11 mind.

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an issue.

Abso-****ing-lutely! A red bike will leave any other bike standing off
the lights!

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Ah. A good D-Lock to something immobile will keep the scrotes off,
after that, don't lock it in a pikey area.

Tosspot[_3_] March 30th 15 08:07 PM

On 30/03/15 13:30, Nick wrote:
On 30/03/2015 09:17, wrote:
Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an
issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

I use a similar bike. It has been fine, but my previous similar Trek
only lasted 4 years before its frame broke (rear chain stay) due to the
pounding it got.

Yes, but not many people commute over the Pennines. Wtf did you do to it?

Mr Pounder March 30th 15 08:48 PM

"Tosspot" wrote in message
On 30/03/15 10:17, wrote:
Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Well mine has come in at over a grand. Eventually. Not counting the
replacement Alfine-11 mind.

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an
issue.

Abso-****ing-lutely! A red bike will leave any other bike standing off
the lights!

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Ah. A good D-Lock to something immobile will keep the scrotes off, after
that, don't lock it in a pikey area.

The weapon of the pikey cyclist, a D-Lock.
Aren't you ashamed to be a cyclist?

RJH[_2_] March 31st 15 02:41 AM

On 30/03/2015 09:41, Peter Keller wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 01:17:23 -0700, voyager1space wrote:

Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an
issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

I do not use a "nice" bike for commuting. I use a well-maintained
clunker. It is very comfortable, not much slower than a "nice" bike and
much less prone to theft. I'd still secure it somewhere, though.
Having a RED bike may make you more visible on the road. That has to be
a plus.

More or less me too. I bought a mid-range 80s mountain bike, no
suspension, and it's done me well. I've left it overnight in a fairly
high risk area plenty of times if called for an impromptu after-work drink.

--
Cheers, Rob