CycleBanter.com

-   -   Asda Cycling Stuff. Bargains? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=78572)

iarocu November 18th 04 10:37 PM

Asda Cycling Stuff. Bargains?

In a nearby Asda I was looking at their cycle stuff and couldn't
resist buying a set of their £1.48 V brake blocks. Looks a fairly soft
compound but if the braking performance is acceptable and the service
life is even half that of Shimano blocks I'll get some more.
Iain

Doki November 18th 04 11:01 PM

iarocu wrote:
In a nearby Asda I was looking at their cycle stuff and couldn't
resist buying a set of their £1.48 V brake blocks. Looks a fairly soft
compound but if the braking performance is acceptable and the service
life is even half that of Shimano blocks I'll get some more.

The Shimano blocks I got on a set of Deore V-brakes seem terrible. Worn out
after all of about 50 muddy miles.

Chris Bardell November 19th 04 12:06 AM

"Doki" wrote in :

The Shimano blocks I got on a set of Deore V-brakes seem terrible.
Worn out after all of about 50 muddy miles.

Maybe it's like the ink cartridges you get with a new printer, i.e.
practically empty to start with, forcing you to buy replacements not long
after making the original purchase.

--
Chris Bardell
[Remove favourite mode of transport from email address]

Just zis Guy, you know? November 19th 04 12:38 AM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:01:06 -0000, "Doki" wrote in
message :

The Shimano blocks I got on a set of Deore V-brakes seem terrible. Worn out
after all of about 50 muddy miles.

This is a safety feature. It is to stop you killing your rims with
Shimano RimEater blocks before you've had a chance to switch to
Kool-Stops, as nature intended.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Monkey Hanger November 19th 04 06:54 AM

iarocu wrote:

In a nearby Asda I was looking at their cycle stuff and couldn't
resist buying a set of their £1.48 V brake blocks. Looks a fairly soft
compound but if the braking performance is acceptable and the service
life is even half that of Shimano blocks I'll get some more.
Iain

I bought some cheapo blocks from Wilkinson, £1.99 a pair. They work
perfectly well, but the set I've got on at the moment are almost worn out
after about 2 months, that's about 800 miles of commuting. I think that
when I wear out the spare set that I'm going to put on tomorrow I'll switch
to something like koolstops to see what their lifespan is like.
Alternatively, I could take a look in Asda next time I'm in...
--
Chris

Tony Raven November 19th 04 09:59 AM

Doki wrote:

The Shimano blocks I got on a set of Deore V-brakes seem terrible. Worn out
after all of about 50 muddy miles.

Not unusual in some places where the mud is abrasive. In Wet Yorkshire
I've known people get through 2 or three sets of v-brake pads in a ride
and some of the softer disk brake pads can last only a ride in the
abrasive gritstone mud. Not a cheap day out ;-(

Tony

Just zis Guy, you know? November 19th 04 11:25 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:59:01 +0000, Tony Raven
wrote:

In Wet Yorkshire

^^^

ToBAGO!

Colin Blackburn November 19th 04 11:31 AM

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:59:01 +0000, Tony Raven
wrote:

In Wet Yorkshire

^^^

ToBAGO!

You'll find that many residents and people brought up in that area refer
to it deliberately as Wet Yorkshire.

Colin - Huddersfield born and bred.

Dave Larrington November 19th 04 11:34 AM

Colin Blackburn wrote:

You'll find that many residents and people brought up in that area
refer to it deliberately as Wet Yorkshire.

The same people usually refer to the ballfooting team in Halifax as "Halifax
Nil" :-)

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Colin Blackburn November 19th 04 11:41 AM

Dave Larrington wrote:
Colin Blackburn wrote:

You'll find that many residents and people brought up in that area
refer to it deliberately as Wet Yorkshire.

The same people usually refer to the ballfooting team in Halifax as "Halifax
Nil" :-)

You rate them *that* highly?

Colin