CycleBanter.com

-   -   Some lives matter. Some don't (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255407)

AMuzi January 26th 18 01:24 PM

Some lives matter. Some don't

http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Tim McNamara January 26th 18 03:51 PM

Some lives matter. Some don't

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 07:24:43 -0600, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

Everyone's life doesn't matter to someone. The trick is to avoid that
person as long as you can.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] January 26th 18 04:01 PM

Some lives matter. Some don't

On 1/26/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

Yes, horrific.

And yet we have people here saying a cyclist should always stay far
right, that controlling a lane is dangerous.

If she had been in front of the trucker, he'd have seen her and slowed.

But if a cyclist can't bring himself/herself to do that, at least NEVER
put yourself to the right of a vehicle that might turn right. Especially
a large vehicle like a truck or bus.

Right hooks are deadly. (Left hooks in drive-on-left countries.)

A few years ago there was a huge outrage about cyclist deaths in London
(even though, as usual, far more pedestrians died). It came out that
most of those deaths were left hooks, usually women, who pulled up along
big lorries. Some said the women were too "polite" to avoid the curb and
get in the traffic lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.[_3_] January 27th 18 12:24 AM

Some lives matter. Some don't

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:01:23 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/26/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

Yes, horrific.

And yet we have people here saying a cyclist should always stay far
right, that controlling a lane is dangerous.

If she had been in front of the trucker, he'd have seen her and slowed.

But if a cyclist can't bring himself/herself to do that, at least NEVER
put yourself to the right of a vehicle that might turn right. Especially
a large vehicle like a truck or bus.

Right hooks are deadly. (Left hooks in drive-on-left countries.)

A few years ago there was a huge outrage about cyclist deaths in London
(even though, as usual, far more pedestrians died). It came out that
most of those deaths were left hooks, usually women, who pulled up along
big lorries. Some said the women were too "polite" to avoid the curb and
get in the traffic lane.

I am a bit puzzled with these right/left hooked accidents. Don't
people turn their heads to look and see what is creeping up beside
them? I certainly do - every driveway turning onto "my street"; every
corner, every junction, I look to see what is coming. Shoot, I even
look back over my shoulder to see what is coming up behind me.

Don't other people?
--
Cheers,

John B.

AMuzi January 27th 18 01:07 AM

Some lives matter. Some don't

wrote:

[...]

Yes, we (and many of our dearly departed) do (did).

Review the video. She actually stopped her bike as he
started the turn but short of martial-arts level acrobatics
she was trapped.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] January 27th 18 03:27 AM

Some lives matter. Some don't

wrote:

[...]

See if you can get a chance to sit in a big truck's cab. The blind spots
are huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9E1_1M-qhU

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...-about-trucks/

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.[_3_] January 27th 18 03:27 AM

Some lives matter. Some don't

wrote:

[...]

I watched the video several times and to be honest I don't see any
evidence of an attempt to stop. What I do see is a truck that appears
to be traveling slower then a bicycle making a right turn and being
run into by the bicycle. The sequence from 1:08 - 1:24 quite clearly
shows the bicycle in the act of overtaking the truck on the curb side
and when the truck turns the bicycle appears to run directly into the
truck.

--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.[_3_] January 27th 18 06:09 AM

Some lives matter. Some don't

wrote:

[...]

I'm not a truck driver but I did maintain them up to about 35 ton dump
trucks so I'm fairly aware of the view from the cab.

But the fact that a vehicle has blind spots should, to a knowledgeable
cyclist, cause the cyclist to treat them with even more caution than a
more conventional vehicle.

In fact one might even say that a cyclist who isn't aware of the
limited vision from the cab of many large motor vehicles, I include
buses and most trucks, is probably lacking the necessary skills to
ride on the public highways.
--
Cheers,

John B.

[email protected] January 27th 18 04:56 PM

Some lives matter. Some don't

Beautiful video collection. Notice cyclist made a rash move prior in cutting thru traffic

Truck driver responsible for tracking cyclist ? How does that work ? Cyclist can see the danger

Frank Krygowski[_4_] January 27th 18 07:37 PM

Some lives matter. Some don't

wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm all in favor of education.

But education doesn't get much attention from "bicycling advocates" in
the U.S. These days they're all about "protected cycle tracks." In other
words, if you were in a "protected cycle track" just before you rode
into that intersection, the right turning truck would not have run you over.

--
- Frank Krygowski