CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What do you call "faux tandem" for kids? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=186656)

[email protected] May 28th 08 06:24 AM

What do you call "faux tandem" for kids?

What do you call the attachment for a single bike that allows kids to
ride -- kids too young to pedal?

I want to do some online research, but I don't know what to google
for. I visit a couple bicycle store web sites, to no avail.

By the way, if you have any experience with one, I'm all ears. I want
to know how they attach; how easy they are to connect and disconnect.

Mike A Schwab May 28th 08 09:20 AM

On May 28, 12:24 am, wrote:
What do you call the attachment for a single bike that allows kids to
ride -- kids too young to pedal?

I want to do some online research, but I don't know what to google
for. I visit a couple bicycle store web sites, to no avail.

By the way, if you have any experience with one, I'm all ears. I want
to know how they attach; how easy they are to connect and disconnect.

Adams trail a bike
http://www.trail-a-bike.com/
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/adams-trail-a-bike.html

Brian Huntley May 28th 08 01:05 PM

On May 28, 1:24 am, wrote:
What do you call the attachment for a single bike that allows kids to
ride -- kids too young to pedal?

I want to do some online research, but I don't know what to google
for. I visit a couple bicycle store web sites, to no avail.

By the way, if you have any experience with one, I'm all ears. I want
to know how they attach; how easy they are to connect and disconnect.

Trail-a-bike.

The hitch is semi-permanently attached to the seat post - you can get
them separately if you have more than one bike you want to use with
the TaB. There's a socket on the end of the trail-a-bike that slips
over that part, then a spring pin goes through to secure it. It's a
matter of seconds to connect it each time. I lost or had stolen
several of the pins over the years, but my bike shop gave me a
replacement one, and I was able to find them at a hardware store
later.

Two options that aren't talked about much are a mirror for the
parent's bike and fenders for both.

Pat[_9_] May 28th 08 02:42 PM

What do you call "faux tandem" for kids?

The hitch is semi-permanently attached to the seat post - you can get
them separately if you have more than one bike you want to use with
the TaB. There's a socket on the end of the trail-a-bike that slips
over that part, then a spring pin goes through to secure it. It's a
matter of seconds to connect it each time. I lost or had stolen
several of the pins over the years, but my bike shop gave me a
replacement one, and I was able to find them at a hardware store
later.

Two options that aren't talked about much are a mirror for the
parent's bike and fenders for both.

Is a 4 year old child too young for the Trail A Bike?

thanks.

SMS May 28th 08 03:12 PM

wrote:
What do you call the attachment for a single bike that allows kids to
ride -- kids too young to pedal?

I want to do some online research, but I don't know what to google
for. I visit a couple bicycle store web sites, to no avail.

By the way, if you have any experience with one, I'm all ears. I want
to know how they attach; how easy they are to connect and disconnect.

The best one, by far, is the Burley Piccolo. See
"http://www.burley.com/products/child/piccolo.cfm"

This disappeared for a while when Burley changed ownership, but now it's
back. Very expensive, but I found one used, and eight years later sold
it for as much as I paid for it (not taking inflation into account). See
"http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='3786-00'" for one
source.

I've used both the Piccolo and the kind that attach to the seat post.
The Piccolo is just magnitudes better.

Also see: "http://www.trail-gator.com/" for another approach.

Dane Buson May 28th 08 09:28 PM

wrote:

By the way, if you have any experience with one, I'm all ears. I want
to know how they attach; how easy they are to connect and disconnect.

The adams trail-a-bike can be a bit of a bother to setup, but nothing
extreme. Once you have the clamp setup it's easy to swap on and off.
That said, my wife hates it and I'm not that fond of it. It's wobbly
and not much fun to use.

I'm working on a kidback tandem, which I expect will work much better.

--
Dane Buson -

Them: Is your life organized by the signs of the Zodiac?
Berry: "PULL HANDLE TO INFLATE" and "NO SHARP OBJECTS"? Words to live by.
-- Berry Kercheval in the Monastery

Claire Petersky May 29th 08 02:41 AM

"Pat" wrote in message

Is a 4 year old child too young for the Trail A Bike?

No - that generally should be fine. I think we started at about age 5. The
great advantage of these contraptions is that you can range much further
with a kid on a trail-a-bike than you can with a kid on his or her own
bike - and you don't have to invest in a tandem.

Here's a story from a while back about such a ride:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...4?dmode=source

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Brian Huntley May 29th 08 05:54 AM

On May 28, 8:42 am, "Pat" wrote:

Is a 4 year old child too young for the Trail A Bike?

Mine was - we had a rear mounted seat that was rated for 50 pounds,
and he was under 45 until he was six. It was first used with a hybrid,
then later a touring bike with fairly narrow bars (not recommended.)