CycleBanter.com

-   -   The death of rim brakes? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257169)

[email protected] March 10th 19 02:34 PM

The death of rim brakes?

I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

[email protected] March 10th 19 04:07 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:34:24 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes.. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

Try to find a ATB without disc brakes. I think that is also gonna happen with road bikes. I was surprised how fast manufacturers adapted their frames to disc brakes.

Lou

Frank Krygowski[_4_] March 10th 19 04:22 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:34:24 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

Try to find a ATB without disc brakes. I think that is also gonna happen with road bikes.

Fashion is weird and powerful.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot March 10th 19 04:47 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 11:22:10 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:34:24 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

Try to find a ATB without disc brakes. I think that is also gonna happen with road bikes.

Fashion is weird and powerful.

--
- Frank Krygowski

A few years ago I nearly bought a new disc brake equipped MTB when my buddy bought his Da Vinci disc brake equipped MTB. However, after having seen how his bike ate disc brake pads I decide not to replace my old MTB after all..

I wonder how the cost of replacement disc brake pads over a number of years compares to the cost of a new rim over those same number of years? I've never worn out an MTB rim but my buddy was going thorough a pair of disc brake pads every week or so and that was just from riding or paved roads or crushed limestone stone dust rail-trails. He was NOT using the brakes all that much either.

Three bicycle shops here in town could not figure out why his bike ate pads so fast and that includes the shop that specializes in cyclo-cross and MTB trails and has a cyclo-cross team.

Just weird. Rim brakes are fine for a lot of bicyclists yet it seems that once again a choice will eventually be denied to consumers.

On top of that, if your present bicycle is equipped with racks you'll most likely have to buy new ones that are disc brake compatible if you do buy a new bike. Those new racks aren't that cheap either.

Cheers

AMuzi March 10th 19 08:06 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

Depends on which frame you choose. Many quality frames don't
have that problem:

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/wp-conte...up-494x425.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1413/5...b85111f481.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Sir Ridesalot March 10th 19 08:19 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

Right! I forgot that I'd need to use through axles too. In other words nearly everything I have for a bicycle would be obsolete if I went to a disc brake equipped bike. Bummer. I think I'll just stay with my rim brakes. after all, I have enough spare parts including NOS Uniglide cassettes to keep my bicycles in operation until I'm 100 years old or dead whichever comes first.

JBeattie March 10th 19 08:51 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 8:22:10 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:34:24 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

Try to find a ATB without disc brakes. I think that is also gonna happen with road bikes.

Fashion is weird and powerful.

For off road, discs are clearly better. It is not even debatable. Discs are better for some road applications as well, but clearly rim brakes are fine for dry weather road riding with aluminum rims. I'm sure they will be around forever.

-- Jay Beattie.

AMuzi March 10th 19 09:08 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

Sorta.
Through axle is an option but not necessary:
http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/fast-lane/
Regular wheels, regular carrier + mudguards.

Sir Ridesalot March 10th 19 09:15 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

$1542.00 CDN for just the frame? No thanks; that's another 1542 reasons for me to stay with what I have for both on and off-road riding/touring. That'd buy me a LOT of new wheelsets if I ever needed them not to mention the number of spare wheels I have here already some with Dura Ace hubs.

Cheers

Frank Krygowski[_4_] March 10th 19 09:28 PM

The death of rim brakes?

On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:34:24 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

Try to find a ATB without disc brakes. I think that is also gonna happen with road bikes.

Fashion is weird and powerful.

For off road, discs are clearly better. It is not even debatable. Discs are better for some road applications as well...

Agreed - but what is the magnitude on "better"?

As I've said, we're deep into diminishing returns on bikes. Sales
literature pushes people to buy a 17 pound bike instead of a 19 pound
one, so the bike+rider weight diminishes by 1%. Get Dura-Ace instead of
105 because the shifts are 20 milliseconds faster. Ditch your front
derailleur and reduce your aerodynamic drag.

In real life, stopping "better" almost never means anything practical.

but clearly rim brakes are fine for dry weather road riding with aluminum rims. I'm sure they will be around forever.

Yes, and those of us who don't have to do panic stops in the rain on 10%
downhills don't have to respond to this market churning.

--
- Frank Krygowski