CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Road Bars (26mm) in a Mountain (25.4mm) Stem = Problem? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=86315)

Gooserider April 3rd 05 02:52 AM

Road Bars (26mm) in a Mountain (25.4mm) Stem = Problem?

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
Is this small diameter difference likely to cause a problem in real
life? I am trying to put a high angle (130 degree) stem on my road
bike to improve the fit and the high angle stems seem to only
available for Mountain bars.

You can use a thin metal shim.

jtaylor April 3rd 05 03:08 AM

"RonSonic" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:52:31 GMT, "Gooserider"

wrote:

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
.. .
Is this small diameter difference likely to cause a problem in real
life? I am trying to put a high angle (130 degree) stem on my road
bike to improve the fit and the high angle stems seem to only
available for Mountain bars.

You can use a thin metal shim.

Hrrrruh?

Yup.

They make them with negative thickness these days.

[email protected] April 3rd 05 03:41 AM

Steve:

Hell yeah, this is wrong! Not a good idea. See my suggestion in my
response to your other post about sources for a 130 degree road stem.

App

Gooserider April 3rd 05 04:10 AM

"jtaylor" wrote in message

"RonSonic" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:52:31 GMT, "Gooserider"

wrote:

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
.. .
Is this small diameter difference likely to cause a problem in real
life? I am trying to put a high angle (130 degree) stem on my road
bike to improve the fit and the high angle stems seem to only
available for Mountain bars.

You can use a thin metal shim.

Hrrrruh?

Yup.

They make them with negative thickness these days.

D'oh! Sorry 'bout that....

Qui si parla Campagnolo April 3rd 05 03:18 PM

Steve Sr. wrote:
Is this small diameter difference likely to cause a problem in real
life? I am trying to put a high angle (130 degree) stem on my road
bike to improve the fit and the high angle stems seem to only
available for Mountain bars.

Thanks,

Steve

Depending on the stem it may either case a bent bolt or bolts that don't
engage enough treads. Both bad ideas. A broken stem/habr connection when
out of the saddle climbing can really hurt. Stems are cheap, get the
proper one. Dental bills are not cheap.

RonSonic April 3rd 05 03:40 PM

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:08:55 -0400, "jtaylor"
wrote:

"RonSonic" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:52:31 GMT, "Gooserider"

wrote:

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
.. .
Is this small diameter difference likely to cause a problem in real
life? I am trying to put a high angle (130 degree) stem on my road
bike to improve the fit and the high angle stems seem to only
available for Mountain bars.

You can use a thin metal shim.

Hrrrruh?

Yup.

They make them with negative thickness these days.

Cool, can I get 'em at Harbor Freight. The Hole Mover I bought there has come in
real handy. Between the two I can go back to measuring once.

Ron