CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   gps units (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=206796)

recycled[_2_] July 26th 09 06:08 PM

gps units

I've hemmed and hawed for many a geological era about getting one of these
things. The market seems to be Garmin and..... no one.

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences, anything at all about GPS's? Of course
ideally I want it all, the biggest screen, most rugged, biggest database at
the lowest cost.

raamman July 26th 09 11:59 PM

gps units

On Jul 26, 1:08*pm, "recycled" wrote:
*I've hemmed and hawed for many a geological era about getting one of these
things. The market seems to be Garmin and..... no one.

*Any thoughts, opinions, experiences, anything at all about GPS's? Of course
ideally I want it all, the biggest screen, most rugged, biggest database at
the lowest cost.

got the vista cx from gpscity.ca 2 years ago- best price, no pst.
You'll need the map pack for canada as well to view the geography and
roads etc with any detail. It's very useful when going off the beaten
path; keeps a great record of the route, hill profile and all sorts of
other stuff. very smart unit; had the battery die on me during one
ride (2 aa) went into a corner gas station bought new batteries and
the unit kept recording the path as soon as I turned it back on; just
a small gap in the route but all on the same file. I have the holder
ziptied to the top of my stem and wind the cord through the holder and
around the stem several times to keep it from popping out during a
bumpy decent. thing automatically goes to night mode when the sun goes
down. lcd is very readible in bright sunlight too- wish my camera was
nearly as capable. I don't take it on every ride; just my long ones.
garmin probabally has a better unit out now for cheaper; but I've been
very impressed with the build quality; all the jarring and rain never
affected it; it's rock steady electronics.
you load the map or an area onto a micro sd card, the remining free
memory will record your route and waypoints; you download that via
usb; you have software which will allow you view your path or you
define a track to follow and upload that to your unit. it works in
car, or hiking too.