Search: Posts made by: bob prohaska
Forum: Techniques August 9th 18, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By bob prohaska
Sunscreen for bicycling

Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while bicycling?
I've been using a stock of TopCare SPF30, but it's running out and I
don't particularly like the odor and texture of the...
Forum: Techniques June 6th 18, 03:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By bob prohaska
MTB touring bike

Emanuel Berg wrote:

Save for the color (black), that looks great!
But doesn't that have the save problems as my
military bike? No gears and too heavy?

Are you looking...
Forum: Techniques May 10th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Ralph Barone wrote:

Three white LEDs in series probably needs nearly 10-12 V just to overcome
the diode drop. Try just two in series and see if that helps things.
Forum: Techniques May 7th 18, 04:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Joerg wrote:
Why should bicycle lighting be inferior to car lighting?

Does anybody make a bicycle dynamo that produces more than 3 watts
at 10 mph?

bob prohaska
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/4/2018 12:06 AM, bob prohaska wrote:

I'm curious, what make of dynamo got hot at 10 mph?

The glued-on label has faded out completely....
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 06:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Andre Jute wrote:

My experience is that Shimano dynamos, of which the -72 was once the most desirable model, come up to maximum output faster than SON dynamos, that is,...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If that's true, then there may be something wrong with the Shimano
dynamo. Got any electronics test equipment, such as an oscilloscope?
Take a look...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 05:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

wrote:

I am an EE. I recommend that you buy B&M front and rear lights.
There's more to lighting than simply the electronic circuit.
Optics play a crucial role.

Optics...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ralph Barone wrote:

Three white LEDs in series probably needs nearly 10-12 V just to overcome
the diode drop. Try just two in series and see if that helps things.

Yes,...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Sepp Ruf wrote:
David Scheidt wrote:
sms wrote:
:On 5/2/2018 7:49 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
: I finally caved and bought a Shimano dh-3n72 hub for use on my
:...
Forum: Techniques May 3rd 18, 03:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

I finally caved and bought a Shimano dh-3n72 hub for use on my
exercise bike. It works fine, but the LEDs flicker quite noticeably
at all speeds. The circuit puts series trios of LEDs in...
Forum: Techniques January 25th 18, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By bob prohaska
Electric bike question please

Bob Newman wrote:
I ride a road bike usually twice a week, usually 30-40 miles each. I used to ride (not average) about 15-16 mph. Due to a few health problems + hitting my...
Forum: Techniques September 26th 17, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By bob prohaska
Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

Sepp Ruf wrote:
bob prohaska wrote:

"Ride Tour" 32-630, Conti #0101161, is a 0.57 kilo, 80 PSI, anti-puncture
rubber layered, city/trekking tire, made in China. I...
Forum: Techniques September 26th 17, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By bob prohaska
Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

John B. wrote:

On one of the various bicycle discussion groups I read a comment about
the Kenda 27" x 1-3/8" being about the same width as the 1-1/4" but
were...
Forum: Techniques September 25th 17, 06:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By bob prohaska
Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

sms wrote:

I believe that Schwalbe used to have a 27 x 1.5" but no more. The best
you can do now is 27 x 1 3/8 (37-630), i.e.
Forum: Techniques September 25th 17, 05:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By bob prohaska
Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I don't know about 1+3/8 27" tire but check to be sure there's enough room for them to fit. I converted an old Cannondale with Shimano 600 stuff...
Forum: Techniques September 25th 17, 05:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By bob prohaska
Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

Sepp Ruf wrote:
bob prohaska wrote:
I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on...
Forum: Techniques September 24th 17, 04:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By bob prohaska
Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were...
Forum: Techniques September 15th 17, 07:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 92
Posted By bob prohaska
Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

John B. wrote:

Not to argue but why is the "clawpole armature" used in automotive
"alternators".
--

The power output of any given electrical machine is proportional...
Forum: Techniques September 14th 17, 06:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 92
Posted By bob prohaska
Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

Sepp Ruf wrote:

For Rob who might experience mental drag uphill from just having to see a
big, heavy, non-laminated hub slowly revolving in the front wheel, the
Forum: Techniques September 11th 17, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 92
Posted By bob prohaska
Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

sms wrote:
On 9/10/2017 4:49 PM, James wrote:

snip

My SP PV8 hub dynamo has been in service for a few years now.? I guess
that means it's done near...
Forum: Techniques September 10th 17, 06:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 92
Posted By bob prohaska
Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

Sepp Ruf wrote:

As the more recent tests were mostly conducted "by SON's Andreas Oehler or
one of his buddies," they have not met r.b.t's stringent anti-corruption
Forum: Techniques September 10th 17, 05:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 92
Posted By bob prohaska
Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good info from Sep Ruff (and I wish I read Deutsch).

But Bob, can I ask what your objectives are?

Simply to make a well-informed choice. Hub...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 17, 04:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 92
Posted By bob prohaska
Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

Many years ago a fairly quantitative report on the performance of
bicycle lighting dynamos was published on the Web. The link is
http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html

Most of the brands named...
Forum: Techniques August 6th 17, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 38
Posted By bob prohaska
Antifreeze to loosen stuck stem?

bob prohaska wrote:
I've got some modern Prestone, in both colors. I think my first bet will be
on heat and oil, but after that fails it'll be Pepsi and Prestone,
maybe with...