Search: Posts made by: Joy Beeson
Forum: General January 10th 18, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: The awkward stage

Still no sun, but the overcast brightened a little while I was
preparing to nap. Streets still very, very wet. I had to walk in
snow a couple of times, but didn't ride through any except for a...
Forum: General January 9th 18, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: The awkward stage

Nary a speck of sun today, unless it came out during my nap.

The roads are clear, but very, very wet, and tomorrow will be below
freezing. But if we get some of the promised sun before I dig my...
Forum: General January 9th 18, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Herb and Jamal

http://www.gocomics.com/herbandjamaal/2018/1/8

I wish I could take the advice in today's Herb and Jamal comic strip.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 22:28:36 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet...
Forum: General January 7th 18, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: The awkward stage

14:00 Sunday

The sidewalks are mostly unusable, but only streaks of snow remain in
the streets. An hour of sunshine would clear them, but we aren't
going to get that and might get more snow.

But...
Forum: Techniques January 7th 18, 05:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Joy Beeson
Joerg Antidote

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:43:16 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

It's a sentimental thing about the Crimean War, but it tends to fog up
your glasses.

That's a ski mask. A...
Forum: General January 7th 18, 04:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: The awkward stage

@ 10:00

It snowed an inch in the night. I can remember when that would not
have deterred me; my skinny inch-and-a-quarter tires would cut right
through to pavement.

Well, that and I lived on a...
Forum: General December 31st 17, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: How to ride on a sidewalk

I found this essay on my desktop. I've no idea who wrote it or where
I found it, so I can't give proper credit.

I can expand it a bit; see below the...
Forum: General December 24th 17, 04:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Merry Christmas

I ain't going noplace until the new year, then I'm starting over from
scratch. I've got a carrot: Duck Down and Above offers specials
every Friday, it's a nice quarter century, and we are low on...
Forum: Techniques December 24th 17, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Joy Beeson
Standards; always room for one more!

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 21:10:08 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Meh. If that's so good, why don't the animals wear their skin that way? ;-)

They *do* wear their fur next to...
Forum: General December 18th 17, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: It's groggy out

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 07:44:19 +0700, John B.
wrote:

In my case it was basically short tendons.

Mine is, the doctor assured me, irritated but not torn. I'm halfway
through a...
Forum: General December 17th 17, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: It's groggy out

Snow season started last Monday, and I'm shut in until after New
Year's. I hope I get my alpaca tights darned by then.

In the meanwhile, I'm trying to drive the car once in a while to build
up my...
Forum: General December 10th 17, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Spinning, slogging, grinding and hills

When we tell people that it isn't a good idea to wreck your knees and
exhaust yourself by slogging up hills, they seem to think that we're
saying "spin furiously and get all out of breath".

The idea...
Forum: General December 3rd 17, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Salutatory fear

Back in the eighties, I took a Youth Hostel tour of southern England.
After we'd been there a couple of weeks, I skillfully executed a
perfect left turn -- and found myself on the opposite side of...
Forum: Techniques November 30th 17, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Joy Beeson
FLU

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 08:01:55 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The radio programs advertising animal feed is obviously not germane
when discussing your living accommodations.

Not to...
Forum: General November 29th 17, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
SR 15

I rode on Detroit Street today -- just far enough to get to the other
side of US 30. Oddly, the swirling traffic where the two barrier
roads intersect is less hair-raising than the rest of SR 15. ...
Forum: Techniques November 29th 17, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 81
Posted By Joy Beeson
Bike Share graveyard

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:15:22 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

whereas prior programs failed
miserably- including programs where there was no cost to the user at
all.

Any...
Forum: General November 26th 17, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Socks

It took at least five minutes to put on my shoes this morning, but
I've remembered how to put on multiple socks:

When most of the second sock is gathered up on your instep, pause...
Forum: General November 26th 17, 12:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Joy Beeson
Changing Seasons

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 14:29:06 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

We know you do a lot of stitching. I rarely do any, but I'm proud to say
I've made two of my own handlebar...
Forum: General November 24th 17, 03:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: running stop signs.

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 10:22:01 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Does a bicycle have the right to ignore traffic laws in the U.S.?

On a more serious note: In the U.S. we are obsessed...
Forum: General November 21st 17, 02:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Cold weather

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:12:13 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 18:46:07 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

When layering for cold...
Forum: Techniques November 19th 17, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 67
Posted By Joy Beeson
Discs

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:22:34 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But more to the point $10 for a tee shirt? That is (last time I
checked the exchange rate) 330 baht for a tee shirt? ...
Forum: General November 18th 17, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 782
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Cold weather

When layering for cold weather, try to use not-underwear all the way
to the skin.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 18:12:45 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Have you tried using a handlebar bag? They work very well for me. In
cold weather, I stock it with a few...
Forum: Techniques November 15th 17, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Joy Beeson
World's Fastest Bike Light, Oculus

Not divided into paragraphs. Did not read.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii