Search: Posts made by: Chalo
Forum: Techniques September 15th 19, 08:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Chalo
Article about SRAM in Forbes

They came up with one crappy product that ruined countless bikes, and then they used borrowed money to buy up a bunch of more serious manufacturers and make those products crappier.

I'm not as...
Forum: Techniques September 14th 19, 06:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 44
Posted By Chalo
Sirect Mount Brakes?

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I think driving a car competently is at the top limit of human
capability. Everyone thinks they can do it, but very few can do it well.

Nobody can do it so well that...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 09:07 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Chalo
Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

John B. fails to understand ethics.
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 07:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 43
Posted By Chalo
Problems with upper gears

6 speed freewheel and 8 speed shifter/derailleur are never compatible. 7 and 8 speed are compatible with Campagnolo parts, but for the love of God don't do that.

7 speed Shimano pattern freewheel...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 07:30 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Chalo
Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

John B. wrote:

"California Highway Patrol data from 2012 show there were 5,090
collisions
in LA County that year involving bikes and cars. In 2,759
of those cases, the CHP determined the...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 07:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 75
Posted By Chalo
Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Joerg wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow tires
the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it. Harumph,
grumble. Why on earth ... well,...
Forum: Techniques September 6th 19, 06:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Chalo
No bearing = no bearing problems

Tom Kunich wrote:

Chalo, What do you call those crank standards that fit the
press-in bearings BBs? They are narrower than the 386.

There are too many Johnny-come-lately nonstandard BB...
Forum: Techniques September 5th 19, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Chalo
No bearing = no bearing problems

David Scheidt wrote:

I have not noticed that quality and price are well correlated in the
pedal market.

That's true. However, it seems that cheap (sub-$30 retail) pedals use loose ball,...
Forum: Techniques September 5th 19, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Chalo
No bearing = no bearing problems

David Scheidt wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

:There are bearings, but they're encased in magical plastic stuff. I was thinking someone came up with a bushing BB.

They're not unheard of on...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 19, 09:16 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Chalo
Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

John B. wrote:
Maybe like them old guys riding those pedal bikes things when e-bikes
are just so much better - carry more, go faster, etc. :-)

Sure, I can get on board with that thinking. ...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 19, 08:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Chalo
Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

AMuzi wrote:

Road tubulars are so cheap now I don't cry over them.

Any sewup tire these days is such egregious folly that it makes me want to cry. Might as well take the Angry Samoans'...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 19, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Chalo
28 mph e-bikes

The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other...
Forum: Techniques August 25th 19, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 65
Posted By Chalo
WTB Suntour CYCLONE BB Spindle

Tom Kunich wrote:

Out of curiosity - why would you use an old and not very efficient
way to do things then you could buy a normal cartridge BB that will
last you the rest of your life...
Forum: Techniques August 23rd 19, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Chalo
internal wrenching bolt

jbeattie wrote:

Note that stem bolts also come in a conical configuration, too.
https://tinyurl.com/yxo9pvyb

To Tom, that makes them "internal wrenching bolts", despite the fact that they...
Forum: Techniques August 22nd 19, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Chalo
internal wrenching bolt

AMuzi wrote:

Tom has a point in that most linear ("V") brake anchors do
not
have cylindrical heads and actually do look more like an
'internal
wrenching bolt':

Tom misses the...
Forum: Techniques August 21st 19, 08:17 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 93
Posted By Chalo
Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Nope. The "NAS" number has changed but the same old bolt is still
available. A NAS 147-53 is now called a MS25007-40

The AN- Army Navy specification series...
Forum: Techniques August 21st 19, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 93
Posted By Chalo
Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Tom Kunich wrote:

By the way - It is NOT a "cap screw". It is as I said, and Internal
Wrenching Bolt. Now they are often mislabeled and you'd find a Cap
Screw in the wrong bin.

I had to...
Forum: Techniques August 20th 19, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 93
Posted By Chalo
Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

AK wrote:

I have started saving up for a more durable bike.

I hope to find one for around $300 - $500.

I would like both front and rear brakes to be disc.

You won't get a very...
Forum: Techniques August 19th 19, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 93
Posted By Chalo
Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Tom Kunich wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

That is a standard "Internal Wrenching Bolt"

This made me laugh. It says so much with so few words. It even hints at an explanation...
Forum: Techniques August 19th 19, 05:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 93
Posted By Chalo
Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Not everyone can afford a more expensive bike at the time of purchase;
therefore they get a cheaper bike at first, figure out the kind
of riding they want to mostly...
Forum: Techniques August 19th 19, 07:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 93
Posted By Chalo
Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suspect you can't afford the very best, but you can borrow the list
of tools and buy the equivalent tools online or at your local hardware
store as you need them. ...
Forum: Techniques August 16th 19, 02:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 189
Posted By Chalo
Off Topic

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I think we need to accept that a child in the womb deserves
more
consideration than a tumor which must be removed.

Does it? A tumor can only destroy one person's...
Forum: Techniques August 15th 19, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Chalo
Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

wrote:

I suppose that being Hyperglide chains, Shimano only intends for them to be
used with 6/7/8 speed Hyperglide sprockets. I guess Hyperglide's ramps
take over the...
Forum: Techniques August 14th 19, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 189
Posted By Chalo
Off Topic

Tom Kunich wrote:

Well, I see you have no children of your own. There's probably a good
reason for that.

One reason is that it's a terrible idea that's in everybody's worst interest (no...
Forum: Techniques August 14th 19, 06:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 189
Posted By Chalo
Off Topic

Tom Kunich wrote:

Jay, all you are doing is claiming that you maintain your morals and ethics
simply by redefining when life starts.

You presume to define when human life starts in a...