Showing results 1 to 25 of 167
Search took 0.70 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Ben Pfaff
Forum: Techniques December 15th 13, 07:09 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 66
Posted By Ben Pfaff
London "Danger! Danger!"

John B. writes:

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:57:29 -0800, Ben Pfaff
wrote:
Hmm. Maybe your bus drivers are more obnoxious than mine, then.
The honks to...
Forum: Techniques December 14th 13, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 66
Posted By Ben Pfaff
London "Danger! Danger!"

Phil W Lee writes:

Ben Pfaff considered Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:41:12
-0800 the perfect time to write:

Jay Beattie ...
Forum: Techniques December 11th 13, 12:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 66
Posted By Ben Pfaff
London "Danger! Danger!"

Duane writes:

On 12/10/2013 11:41 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
Jay Beattie writes:
It is not because it has gotten that much worse in the...
Forum: Techniques December 10th 13, 04:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 66
Posted By Ben Pfaff
London "Danger! Danger!"

Jay Beattie writes:
It is not because it has gotten that much worse in the last 20
years (although I got passed by a bus this morning by literally
an inch at 45mph),...
Forum: Techniques March 27th 13, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Laptop/Hard Drive: Carrying In Pannier Bag?

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Does anybody have experience carrying a laptop computer with hard drive
in a rear-luggage-rack-mounted pannier bag?

I did this regularly with a Thinkpad...
Forum: Techniques December 4th 12, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Ben Pfaff
The Rules

AMuzi writes:

Many more facilities he
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/

Is that site a joke? It says that it highlights "examples of...
Forum: Techniques October 19th 12, 06:08 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Ben Pfaff
dim NiteRider light--replace bulb or whole lamp?

Ben Pfaff writes:

thirty-six writes:

It may be that you have one cell that is failing so that when
in circuit shows a considerable volt-drop...
Forum: Techniques October 18th 12, 06:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Ben Pfaff
dim NiteRider light--replace bulb or whole lamp?

writes:

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:25:11 AM UTC-4, Ben Pfaff wrote:
I have a 6V, 10W NiteRider light from years ago (maybe 2004?).

The rechargeable battery pack...
Forum: Techniques October 18th 12, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

thirty-six writes:

On 18 Oct, 05:25, Ben Pfaff wrote:
I have a 6V, 10W NiteRider light from years ago (maybe 2004?).
The rechargeable battery...
Forum: Techniques October 18th 12, 05:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Ben Pfaff
dim NiteRider light--replace bulb or whole lamp?

I have a 6V, 10W NiteRider light from years ago (maybe 2004?).
The rechargeable battery pack failed within a few months of
purchase, so I built my own from 5 AA NiMH batteries, which puts
out about...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 12, 05:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 42
Posted By Ben Pfaff
JRA, when suddenly...

Frank Krygowski writes:

In general, my rule has been "No road is ever closed to a bicycle."
It's worked very well, generally.

A colleague of mine once tried that, on a road...
Forum: General June 25th 12, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Yeah, rah -- common sense!

Joy Beeson writes:

http://warsaw.in.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=376

A brochure explaining how to use these here new-fangled roundabouts.

Palo Alto has a couple...
Forum: Techniques May 2nd 12, 08:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Costco Selling Big Shot Fixies for $300.

Chalo writes:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thruster-700c-Men-s-Fixie-Bike/17206771

Oh, that's where the bikes with that weird color scheme are
coming from, then. Didn't...
Forum: Techniques March 29th 12, 03:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Glue to repair tubes

Dan Musicant writes:

I went to a local bike shop (The Missing Link in Berkeley, CA) and they
sold rather large tubes for $2.49, IIRC). I don't see the wisdom in
buying a 1...
Forum: Techniques March 17th 12, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Ben Pfaff
replace freehub body or wheel or ...?

Peter Cole writes:

On 3/17/2012 12:59 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
My bike has a rear wheel built on a Shimano FH-RM60 hub. I have
maybe 10,000 miles on it over about 2...
Forum: Techniques March 17th 12, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Ben Pfaff
replace freehub body or wheel or ...?

My bike has a rear wheel built on a Shimano FH-RM60 hub. I have
maybe 10,000 miles on it over about 2 years. This week, while
riding, the freehub stopped freewheeling. It was quite...
Forum: Techniques March 17th 12, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Front mounted baby carriers

Dark Helmet writes:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:13:08 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

Ben Pfaff wrote:

sms88 writes:

My next...
Forum: Techniques March 15th 12, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 36
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Front mounted baby carriers

sms88 writes:

On 3/14/2012 10:33 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I never used one but have talked to people who have and they love
them. There appears to be none of...
Forum: General March 15th 12, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 21

sms88 writes:

On 3/14/2012 10:33 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I never used one but have talked to people who have and they love
them. There appears to be none of...
Forum: Techniques December 6th 11, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 75
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Portland winter commuting pics

Frank Krygowski writes:

When I ride, whether it's for fun or for utility, I do carry my
wallet, keys, and (recently) cell phone in a tiny sack. But it rides
in my...
Forum: Techniques November 15th 11, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Thank heavens for super-accurate cyclocomputers!

writes:

Of course, the problem could be solved by replacing the strange
middle-of-the-busy block flashing-yellow crosswalks with the
traditional traffic signals (red...
Forum: Techniques November 15th 11, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Thank heavens for super-accurate cyclocomputers!

writes:

"Kurt Weiler, a Boulder police commander who helped draft the rules
going before the council, said officers soon could be clocking the
speed of pedestrians and...
Forum: Techniques October 14th 11, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Speaking of innovation...

Frank Krygowski writes:

One disturbing detail is the claim that "The current design enables
the cruiser bike to brake within 250 milliseconds, meaning a cyclist
Forum: Techniques August 17th 11, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Replies: 126
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Simitian Cell Phone Bill Goes to California Governor, Adds Bicyclists to Ban, Raises Fines

Dan O writes:

I normally stop for stop signs. Â*It doesn't cost me anything,
beyond a second or two.

Rims and brake pads? Pedal cleats? Powerbars for the energy...
Forum: Techniques August 17th 11, 04:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Replies: 126
Posted By Ben Pfaff
Simitian Cell Phone Bill Goes to California Governor, Adds Bicyclists to Ban, Raises Fines

Jonz writes:

On 8/16/2011 3:40 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
writes:

On 8/16/2011 1:18 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote: