Search: Posts made by: SMS
Forum: Techniques April 19th 18, 09:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By SMS
How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

On 4/18/2018 4:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:

You complain about all the idiots in government, yet you do nothing. The first thing you could do is figure out which government deserves all your carping. ...
Forum: Techniques April 19th 18, 09:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By SMS
How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

On 4/18/2018 4:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

You complain about all the idiots in government, yet you do nothing. The first thing you could do is figure out which government deserves all your...
Forum: Techniques April 18th 18, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-04-18 14:25, sms wrote:
On 4/18/2018 2:01 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

In California they just put a cone on there or slop some asphalt
Forum: Techniques April 18th 18, 10:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By SMS
How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

On 4/18/2018 2:01 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

In California they just put a cone on there or slop some asphalt slurry
in there, roll the truck across it a few times and call it a day.

Forum: Techniques April 14th 18, 06:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By SMS
Last Night's Ride with Herrmans H-Black Pro dynamo light

Spousal unit was late riding home so I went out on the Dahon to look for
her. I know her route by heart. I got about six mile into the route,
tried calling her again, and she was home, having taken...
Forum: Techniques April 14th 18, 06:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By SMS
Cyclists and pedestrians in LA

On 4/13/2018 5:27 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Anyone ever charged with felon in possession or other crimes of illegal
firearms in Chicago? Almost never, despite strict, perhaps
Forum: Techniques April 12th 18, 01:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 32
Posted By SMS
Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 4/11/2018 5:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 4:13:23 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/10/2018 7:04 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 9:39:31 PM UTC-7, Sir...
Forum: Techniques April 12th 18, 12:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 32
Posted By SMS
Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 4/10/2018 7:04 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 9:39:31 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just before leaving for an important appointment Monday I discovered my rear tire was...
Forum: Techniques April 5th 18, 09:29 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By SMS
High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 4/4/2018 7:15 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 11:57:40 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

We shouldn't be telling people they have to
change clothes...
Forum: Techniques April 4th 18, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By SMS
High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 4/3/2018 8:16 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 10:53:35 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/31/2018 12:00 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The fallacy also works for...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 18, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 150
Posted By SMS
MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 3/29/2018 2:34 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
sms wrote:
On 3/27/2018 7:39 AM, Joerg wrote:

Hydraulics also can suffer from sudden fade and that's scary. Then...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 18, 08:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-03-30 09:22, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/30/2018 10:27 AM, Joerg wrote:

Disc brakes afford a substantial increase in safety. I tend to...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 18, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By SMS
High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 4/2/2018 8:37 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Compare fermentation (beer, wine) to distilled 190 proof Everclear and
then opium to Heroin. 'Natural' may not be an apt or useful term here.

I remember...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 18, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By SMS
High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 4/2/2018 8:14 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 07:14:03 -0700, sms
wrote:

You're ideally placed to perform a short term and short
range survey. ...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 18, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By SMS
High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 4/1/2018 12:55 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Is there a study the correlates the production of laws, regulations,
ordinances, executive orders, and judicial opinions with the quality
of life,...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 18, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By SMS
Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On 4/1/2018 10:50 AM, Duane wrote:

snip

I see no value in trying to get a presto tube to work in a rim made for a
schraeder tube. Seems like just asking for trouble.

Sometimes there is...
Forum: Techniques April 1st 18, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By SMS
Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On 4/1/2018 8:04 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 07:24:23 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
x-posted from rec.bicycles.misc

Forum: Techniques April 1st 18, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 150
Posted By SMS
MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 4/1/2018 9:23 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

And yet, for decades, I rode rim brakes in the rain, mud, etc. The downside was the rim-lathe of grit against aluminum rims and momentary loss of...
Forum: Techniques April 1st 18, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By SMS
High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 3/31/2018 12:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

A few hundred years ago, science had a problem. In vast expanses of
Asia, distances were sufficiently large that it was very difficult to
verify...
Forum: Techniques March 29th 18, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 150
Posted By SMS
MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 3/27/2018 7:39 AM, Joerg wrote:

Hydraulics also can suffer from sudden fade and that's scary. Then they
require bleeding which, depending on the kind, is a messy business. On
mine...
Forum: Techniques March 27th 18, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-03-26 13:57, sms wrote:
On 3/26/2018 12:15 PM, Joerg...
Forum: Techniques March 26th 18, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 150
Posted By SMS
MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 3/26/2018 12:15 PM, Joerg wrote:
Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd Ullrich in the
German language bike NG posted this link but it is in German:

Forum: Techniques March 23rd 18, 12:00 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By SMS
Long Brake Levers

On 3/20/2018 1:45 PM, sms wrote:
On my DaHon Speed TR folder, it had brake levers, branded DaHon with a
longer handle than other levers I've seen, about 1" longer. One of the
levers broke in...
Forum: Techniques March 22nd 18, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 72
Posted By SMS
Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

On 3/22/2018 8:21 AM, Joerg wrote:

It's just that cyclists seem to put up with a lot of stuff that
motorists would not tolerate.

That's why you need the BBB Fuel Tank XL. Bottles cannot be...
Forum: Techniques March 22nd 18, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By SMS
Long Brake Levers

On 3/22/2018 8:48 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

9200 - Dual cartridge 25 mL (0.8 fl oz) 1:1 STRUCTURAL EPOXY ADHESIVE