Showing results 1 to 25 of 150
Search took 0.16 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Nick Payne
Forum: Australia January 27th 09, 08:36 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Payne
which side is your front brake lever?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:44:49 GMT,
(obakesan) wrote:

I'm now in another part of the world and many of the bikes here seem to have
the front brake on the left hand side....
Forum: Australia December 27th 08, 09:48 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 3
Posted By Nick Payne
Canberra - Moruya

Having ridden both routes I'd recommend Hoskinstown-Rossi-etc. The Kings Hwy
is not a pleasant road to cycle along. I've done the Hoskinstown route on a
touring bike with 700x35 tyres so a hybrid...
Forum: Australia December 18th 08, 09:26 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 5
Posted By Nick Payne
Useful weather info, SE Aust

Why not use BOM's National loop:
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/national_radar_sat.loop.shtml

"John Henderson" wrote in message...
Forum: Australia November 18th 08, 08:45 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 7
Posted By Nick Payne
Chain cleaning "machines"

I was given one of the Park clip-on cleaners several years ago. I run the
chains on the bikes through it once every couple of weeks. I use Kero for
the cleaning fluid, and recycle the kero back...
Forum: Australia September 22nd 08, 09:54 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 5
Posted By Nick Payne
major overhaul

You could try this instead of a tensioner (ignore the 2nd chain in the
photo): http://hired-goons.net/2x2/dscn4213.html.

"ray" wrote in message...
Forum: Australia August 2nd 08, 09:43 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 12
Posted By Nick Payne
What bike to carry a toddler?

You could try one of these. Useful for carrying kids as well as a lot else:

http://www.cargocycles.com.au/content/view/12/27/

Nick

"Liz" wrote in message...
Forum: Australia June 9th 08, 05:29 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 4
Posted By Nick Payne
Bike for outback trip

Lash out and get a Rohloff hub for desert/semi-desert travel e.g.
http://www.mountainbike-expedition-team.de/Namibia/namib.html. Less exernal
parts to wear and go wrong.

My wife has one of these...
Forum: Techniques March 30th 08, 10:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Nick Payne
Friction Shifter cable housing

"Peter Howard" wrote in message

Question One: Just to make sure, I'm asking if there should be anything
Forum: Techniques March 29th 08, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Nick Payne
Cross Dressing Brake Lever Hoods

wrote in message
Hoods for Cane Creek SCR 5 fit Tektro R100. (No kidding.)

Hardly surprising as...
Forum: Australia March 23rd 08, 03:41 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 4
Posted By Nick Payne
Full Length Mud guards

As others have mentioned, SKS aka ESGE. Fitting a decent mudflap on the
front guard also makes quite a difference to how much spray you get off the
front wheel. See...
Forum: Australia March 5th 08, 08:32 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 3
Posted By Nick Payne
Modern Shimano cranksets

Watch a few that are being sold on eBay and see what they go for...

"Patrick Keogh" wrote in message
I'm thinking about advertising...
Forum: Techniques March 2nd 08, 06:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Nick Payne
Threadless steer tube extender

The problem with the extender is that the minimum amount of extra height you
get is the height of the part that's large enough to fit over the existing
steerer, and that's going to be a bit more...
Forum: Techniques March 2nd 08, 06:18 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Nick Payne
cleaned out my guitar today

But did you oil the strings afterwards?

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
My guitar was all dusty inside and maybe even had some...
Forum: Techniques March 1st 08, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 42
Posted By Nick Payne
Sizing a Bike

Threadless carbon steerers make the problem even worse - most manufacturers
specify a maximum of 30mm or 40mm of spacers allowed between the headset and
stem.

Nick

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo....
Forum: Australia February 25th 08, 08:13 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 21
Posted By Nick Payne
Bike pron

"Jack Russell" wrote in message
Can I ask where you got the bikes. I am thinking of getting a Thorn Raven
but would rather spend...
Forum: Australia February 24th 08, 09:12 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 21
Posted By Nick Payne
Bike pron

"PeteSig" wrote in message

"Nick Payne" wrote:
Usually the dropout would be detachable to allow the belt to be...
Forum: Australia February 23rd 08, 05:31 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 21
Posted By Nick Payne
Bike pron

Usually the dropout would be detachable to allow the belt to be fitted,
though that doesn't seem to be the case with the frame pictured. I met a
rider on the Fitz's Challenge a couple of years ago...
Forum: Techniques February 17th 08, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Nick Payne
Choosing a Shimano MTB front hub

LX is the best bang for the buck (Euro), as is 105 in the road components...

wrote in message
Hello,
Forum: Techniques February 15th 08, 11:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 62
Posted By Nick Payne
Which side for the front brake lever?

On the side where you can still use it to brake while indicating a turn
across traffic with your other arm. So in Italy you should have it on the
right. Here in Australia I have it on the...
Forum: Techniques February 13th 08, 08:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Nick Payne
Storage of Carbon Fiber Bike

"Nik" wrote in message
All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
Forum: Australia February 4th 08, 11:12 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 18
Posted By Nick Payne
Truth in advertising???

"BT Humble" wrote in message

Incidentally, why do roadies have such a loathing for triple...
Forum: Australia February 2nd 08, 12:28 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 2
Posted By Nick Payne
Winner's jersey

It's not the first time that the prize for the stage has been a cow. I
remember Mick Rogers won the cow one year.

For one race in Switzerland, the winner gets their own weight in...
Forum: Techniques February 1st 08, 11:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 58
Posted By Nick Payne
Hub Gears: no need to scoffjaw the warranty

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
Nick Payne wrote:

Seeing that Rohloff are...
Forum: Techniques January 31st 08, 07:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 58
Posted By Nick Payne
Hub Gears: no need to scoffjaw the warranty

Seeing that Rohloff are quite happy for their hub to be used on a tandem
with the recommended 2.4:1 front/rear ratio, I had no scruple using a lower
ratio on my own bike when I took it to...
Forum: Techniques January 30th 08, 10:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By Nick Payne
Chainwheels sizes available

"cmcanulty" wrote in message
Is there anyplace I can find out what size chainwheels are available
Showing results 1 to 25 of 150