Showing results 1 to 25 of 106
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Forum: Techniques January 15th 11, 04:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By [email protected]
Bottom Bracket Protection - string

Tom Sherman wrote:

on the other bearing- once water gets in over the lip or through
the seams then...

drill hole and plug

try Castrol Marine Wheel Bearing Grease-synthetic ?

Forum: Techniques January 14th 11, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Stiff Wheels

someone from the UK wrote:

Actually, my wheels feel awesome and I don't feel any
instability. Good for you. But, since you claim all these magic
advantages to to them, you may be...
Forum: Techniques January 14th 11, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 47
Posted By [email protected]
Inch-pitch is for sissies

John Dacey wrote:

Are you kidding? 150 years ago you could buy real snake oil. Now
you get fake snake oil or snake oil substitute or low cholesterol
snake oil.

Once you could enjoy...
Forum: Techniques January 14th 11, 12:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 47
Posted By [email protected]
Inch-pitch is for sissies

James Steward wrote:

"One inch pitch is still the almost invariable rule, from which
the 1 & 1-4 inch pitch used on the Waltham company's special chain
and sprocket construction forms...
Forum: Techniques January 13th 11, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 47
Posted By [email protected]
Inch-pitch is for sissies

Carl Fogel wrote:

"One inch pitch is still the almost invariable rule, from which the
1 & 1-4 inch pitch used on the Waltham company's special chain and
sprocket construction forms the most...
Forum: Techniques January 11th 11, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Tips on carbon fiber WSD bikes?

From the exchanges that have gone by on tis subject, I suspect that no
measurements or other qualifications exist. In particular, the
acoustic resonance of various bicycle frame tubes may have an...
Forum: General January 10th 11, 02:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
2010 Road Find Thread

Tom Sherman wrote:

Other than that, I found one really nice set of Vice Grips.

Kinky!

Or did you mean "Vise-Gripâ„¢ [1] locking pliers"?

Forum: Techniques January 9th 11, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Olympic Champion James Cracknell Praises Australian Helmet Law, Stating that it May Have Saved His Life

Bill Sornson wrote:

You might clean up your terms. It's either a "tanker" or a "tank
truck". Your mix of terms detracts from what you want to
establish.

This petty pedantry is...
Forum: Techniques January 9th 11, 01:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Olympic Champion James Cracknell Praises Australian Helmet Law, Stating that it May Have Saved His Life

Bill Sornson wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/28967-james-cracknell-says-aussie-helmet-...

With a partial URL, it's hard to tell what your point is.

I like how the article says the guy...
Forum: Techniques January 8th 11, 09:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 56
Posted By [email protected]
Quill stem with expander wedge rocking side-to-side; how to solve?

Phil W Lee wrote:

I still don't see a useful design change other than in production
on the part of a mass producer, specifically one whose forksets
are built in a different facility.

Forum: Techniques January 8th 11, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 56
Posted By [email protected]
Quill stem with expander wedge rocking side-to-side; how to solve?

kolldata.com wrote:

Having broken a few quill stems and had flexible bar holding on
climbs, I was glad to get rid of all that mess with a threadless
steer tube on my old forks. Â*The...
Forum: Techniques January 8th 11, 01:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 56
Posted By [email protected]
Quill stem with expander wedge rocking side-to-side; how to solve?

Having broken a few quill stems and had flexible bar holding on
climbs, I was glad to get rid of all that mess with a threadless steer
tube on my old forks. The arrangement produced such a rigid...
Forum: Techniques January 7th 11, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 56
Posted By [email protected]
Quill stem with expander wedge rocking side-to-side; how to solve?

someone in the UK wrote:

I have an old mountain bike (Trek 800) with a wedge-style quill
stem. Â*Even with the expander bolt tight (hand tight with a
y-wrench), the stem rocks...
Forum: Techniques January 7th 11, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
ITM Carbon Fiber Fork?

DR wrote:

I've ridden no-hands uphill with my Cinelli quill stem loose in the
steertube...

Â*Therefore, old safety standards cannot be applied.

You're right. The steerer clamp on a...
Forum: Techniques January 7th 11, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

SR cycle_pathic wrote:

I have an old mountain bike (Trek 800) with a wedge-style quill
stem. Â*Even with the expander bolt tight (hand tight with a
y-wrench), the stem rocks side-to-side...
Forum: Techniques January 6th 11, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

William Cline wrote:

I have an old mountain bike (Trek 800) with a wedge-style quill
stem. Even with the expander bolt tight (hand tight with a
y-wrench), the stem rocks side-to-side when I...
Forum: Techniques January 6th 11, 11:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
ITM Carbon Fiber Fork?

DR wrote anonymously:

That doesn't look safe to me because it has no redundancy for the
1/4" or #10 screws that retain the stem on the steertube and th
bars on the stem. Â*Such joints on...
Forum: Techniques January 6th 11, 04:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
Recall on 6500 Salsa stems

Gregory Sutter wrote:

Recall on 6500 Salsa stems:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11083.html?CMP=OTC-RECALL4

According to the CPSC, only one stem breakage incident was reported.
Forum: Techniques January 6th 11, 04:09 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Stiff Wheels

Jim Rogers wrote:

It doesn't need to be exceptionally low because the rim distributed
spoke stiffness circumferentially if it isn't terminally radially
flexible, and fails to transfer the...
Forum: Techniques January 6th 11, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Stiff Wheels

Jim Rogers wrote:

It doesn't need to be exceptionally low because the rim distributed
spoke stiffness circumferentially if it isn't terminally radially
flexible, and fails to transfer...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 11, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Stiff Wheels

Jim Rogers wrote:

It doesn't need to be exceptionally low because the rim distributed
spoke stiffness circumferentially if it isn't terminally radially
flexible, and fails to transfer the...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 11, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Tips on carbon fiber WSD bikes?

Duane Hébert wrote:

I'm looking to replace my old road bike with a carbon fiber model.
My criteria a women's specific design, comfy for all day
riding, smooth riding, light weight,...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 11, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Tips on carbon fiber WSD bikes?

Lou Holtman wrote:

I wouldn't demand that a road bike fit 32s, like mine does, but
if it fits 28s or 25s with fenders, it gives you options for
free. Why not?

There are times of...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 11, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Stiff Wheels

Jay Beattie wrote:

We need to have a discussion some time about stiff wheels. Â*I'm
having trouble conceptualizing how an adequately tensioned wheel
would not be radially...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 11, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 234
Posted By [email protected]
Stiff Wheels

James Steward wrote:

We need to have a discussion some time about stiff wheels. I'm
having trouble conceptualizing how an adequately tensioned
wheel would not be radially stiff...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 106