Showing results 1 to 25 of 238
Search took 1.83 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Ken Roberts
Forum: Rides December 16th 08, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 4
Posted By Ken Roberts
photos pretty non-high-mountain Switzerland: Simmental

Ned Mantei wrote
A couple of suggestions:
Here is a variant of the Guldental tour . . .

Never done anything around northwest Switzerland (except ride in the city of
Basel).
So now I have an...
Forum: Rides December 16th 08, 03:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 4
Posted By Ken Roberts
photos pretty non-high-mountain Switzerland: Simmental

Thanks for such detailed ideas about where to find more pretty riding in
Switzerland.

I just copied it into my personal file for future bicycling trips. It'll
take a little longer to digest it and...
Forum: Rides December 9th 08, 05:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 4
Posted By Ken Roberts
photos pretty non-high-mountain Switzerland: Simmental

I had an unexpected great day of riding in Switzerland in late August --
here's some photos of farmland riding on bike route 9 in Simmental:
http://roberts-1.com/t/b08/ch/k/d

Lots of riders...
Forum: Rides December 4th 08, 01:39 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 16
Posted By Ken Roberts
The Alps and why they are a great ride

Ned Mantei wrote
there is a paved road from Grindelwald to Männlichen.
I rode up that way a couple of years ago. We then walked our
bikes over to Kleine Scheidegg (along an unpaved track that...
Forum: Rides December 4th 08, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 16
Posted By Ken Roberts
The Alps and why they are a great ride

sergio wrote
Mike Perry's photo gallery . . .
They are taken from the road where you would pass along
and there is always a bicyclist in view, never in the foreground
but somewhere in...
Forum: Rides December 3rd 08, 04:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 3
Posted By Ken Roberts
Ken's photos of Switzerland - Grosse Scheidegg

jenben wrote
Man those are gorgeous!

Thanks -- it was even better to be riding there that day.
My thanks go to a couple of people on this newsgroup who recommended Grosse
Scheidegg. It's in some...
Forum: Rides December 3rd 08, 04:17 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 16
Posted By Ken Roberts
The Alps and why they are a great ride

Those are very nice photos, but the majority of those scenes are _not_
visible from a road bicycle tour -- especially the most spectacular mountain
scenes. So don't expect to see lots of those...
Forum: Rides November 24th 08, 02:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 5
Posted By Ken Roberts
A beautiful brochure on Alpi Apuane

I'm already convinced. I already own guidebook + map for the area, and all
your suggestions.

But I don't make decisions about where to ride just by myself. While I do
ride myself some days, it's...
Forum: Rides November 21st 08, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 5
Posted By Ken Roberts
A beautiful brochure on Alpi Apuane

Thanks for the lead, I've put it in my files -- but I don't think I'll spend
the money until I know I'm actually traveling near there -- which I do hope
happens...
Forum: Rides November 21st 08, 06:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 0
Posted By Ken Roberts
Grosse Scheidegg photos - prettiest mt road pass

Photos from riding over the Grosse Scheidegg pass in Switzerland he
http://roberts-1.com/t/b08/ch/gs

I think Grosse Scheidegg is the prettiest most interesting pass with a paved
road over it in...
Forum: Rides November 12th 08, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 0
Posted By Ken Roberts
NE Italy + Dolomites high passes report

Over the last few years I rode up and down lots of paved roads over high
passes of northeast Italy, mostly riding single-day loop routes. I found
lots of fun + pretty riding in the Dolomites (not a...
Forum: Rides November 4th 08, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 15
Posted By Ken Roberts
Tuscany bicycling ideas

sergio wrote
There is a beautiful inner region, in the provinces of Firenze and
Arezzo, that would be quite worthwhile exploring. Little traffic,
stunning forests, monestaries and ancient...
Forum: Rides November 3rd 08, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 57
Posted By Ken Roberts
France + Switzerland mountain roads questions

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote
I'll check out the option of staying the entire time in Albertville,
regardless of how non-descript a place people describe it as.

A chain hotel with easy driving access...
Forum: Rides November 3rd 08, 03:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 22
Posted By Ken Roberts
Alps (2005)

Tim McNamara wrote
it seems like there would be nicer options angling into Nice
from closer to Italy. Coming in from Saint-Martin-Vésubie
via the D19 . . . It would have been hard to go that...
Forum: Rides November 3rd 08, 03:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 57
Posted By Ken Roberts
France + Switzerland mountain roads questions

sergio wrote
I passed through Albertville only once, a long time ago . . .
If I recall well the area is a mining district, and that added
a lot to the ugliness of the ride to Bourg Saint...
Forum: Rides November 3rd 08, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 15
Posted By Ken Roberts
Tuscany bicycling ideas

sergio wrote
I urge you to cycle that area if for no other reason to see the
stunning and famous marble quarries: check out Galleria del
Cipollaio, Passo del Vestito and Campo Cecina.

The good...
Forum: Rides November 3rd 08, 02:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 57
Posted By Ken Roberts
France + Switzerland mountain roads questions

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote
Tuesday's stage over Col du Petite St-Bernard can be accessed either by
taking the train to Bourg St. Maurice . . . if the weather's nice, still
something I could do...
Forum: Rides November 2nd 08, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 5
Posted By Ken Roberts
NE Italy + Dolomites mountain roads questions

sergio wrote
An obvious alternative: take the Bike Paths that run all
the way from Spondigna to Bolzano.

I did not know that the bike route avoided the main SS road the whole way
(or even most...
Forum: Rides November 2nd 08, 02:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 22
Posted By Ken Roberts
Alps (2005)

I think there are some cases where the construction of an autostrada /
motorway / superhighway has _improved_ the bicycle touring in some region.
Examples:
* riding in NW Italy from Aosta up to...
Forum: Rides October 31st 08, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 5
Posted By Ken Roberts
NE Italy + Dolomites mountain roads questions

Wow -- lots of good ideas.
I'll respond to only one right now.

sergio wrote
A beautiful loop from Castelrotto to Alpe di Siusi and down
to Santa Cristina via Monte Pana: DO IT!

Yes it's...
Forum: Rides October 31st 08, 01:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 22
Posted By Ken Roberts
Alps (2005)

sergio wrote
Instead, there is a place I like so much close to Briancon
on the valley of La Clairee, just west of Col de l'Echelle:
Nevache!
Yes from the city of Briancon I rode northeast over...
Forum: Rides October 29th 08, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 57
Posted By Ken Roberts
France + Switzerland mountain roads questions

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote
to me, a paved goat path would be anything that's a substandard-width
one-lane road. Some of my most-interesting rides in France have been when
I took a wrong turn and...
Forum: Rides October 29th 08, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 22
Posted By Ken Roberts
Alps (2005)

Tim McNamara wrote
the better choices for riding into Nice are relatively indirect . . .
Here's my experiences in this part of the Alps:
http://www2.bitstream.net/~timmcn/alps2002-1.html

Looks...
Forum: Rides October 29th 08, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 22
Posted By Ken Roberts
southern Alps of France (was Alps 2005)

My first advice is: once you get as far as Embrun or Barcellonette, just
take the train or bus to somewhere around Nice, then enjoy some fun riding
on the corniche roads and lower southern alps...
Forum: Rides October 29th 08, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 1
Posted By Ken Roberts
Lunga Via delle Dolomiti / Langer Weg der Dolomiten

While Sharon and I were riding in northeast Italy in September, in a couple
of different places we found signs for a long-distance bike route: first on
a paved rail trail around Calalzo + Pieve di...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 238