Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 6.38 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: jim beam
Forum: Techniques March 14th 09, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By jim beam
A few more chainring questions

Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 13, 5:20�pm, Jason Spaceman
wrote:
I have a few more questions about chainrings. �Can I use a 10-speed
chainring on a...
Forum: Techniques March 14th 09, 01:09 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By jim beam
Rear Triangle Alignment -- Will 6mm make a difference I can feel?

Jeff wrote:
On Mar 13, 1:29�pm, " wrote:
Thank you for pointing that out -- I'll measure the dropout thickness
this evening. �The "6mm" figure I...
Forum: Techniques March 14th 09, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 79
Posted By jim beam
Tin plated wire for binding spokes

wrote:
Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

So now we know. From the evidence of the book, he did not test
any Tied and soldered wheels.

The wheels that Jobst...
Forum: Techniques March 14th 09, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 42
Posted By jim beam
Tire puzzle

Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On 13 Mar 2009 08:41:46 GMT, wrote:
[...]
The ancients...
Forum: Techniques January 10th 09, 03:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 73
Posted By jim beam
I kill people with bicycles!!!

Chalo wrote:
jim beam wrote:
other than posts damaged by excess clamping force, have you ever seen a
carbon post fail? �regardless of rider weight.

(He did so while neatly avoiding the...
Forum: Techniques January 7th 09, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

_ wrote:
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 15:00:31 -0800, jim beam wrote:

And irrelevant - read beamo's post again, and you will see that he is not
saying that more than one phenomenon produces x,...
Forum: Techniques January 7th 09, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
_ wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 15:00:31 -0800, jim beam...
Forum: Techniques January 6th 09, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

wrote:
Seems to me that wreck.bike has turned into a debating society without
monitor or rules. In other words, its a Troldhaugen Fest.

Forum: Techniques January 5th 09, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 47
Posted By jim beam
A GUIDE TO GLOBAL WARMING FOR THOSE EDUCATED IN THE UNIVERSITYOF LIFE

Andre Jute wrote:
snip non-bike tech

please move to alt.global-warming. thanks.
Forum: Techniques January 5th 09, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 19
Posted By jim beam
Are 15g alloy nipples thicker than 14g?

wrote:
R Schiller wrote:

Does a 15g 12mm alloy nipple have the same outside dimensions as a
14g 12mm alloy nipple. Specifically by DT? The inference is...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 09, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

RS wrote:
Does a 15g 12mm alloy nipple have the same outside dimensions as a
14g 12mm alloy nipple.

yes.

Specifically by DT? The inference is that a
15g alloy nipple would be stronger...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 09, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 19
Posted By jim beam
Are 15g alloy nipples thicker than 14g?

wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:

I would think that hardness of the metal would be a factor in
rounding of the flats, not wall thickness. Even brass nipples...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 11:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

_ wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 06:17:41 +1100, John Henderson wrote:

_ wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:25:33 -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:

Torque is torque. Not having seen...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 10:29 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

Ron Ruff wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:
In 40+ years of riding bike, Ron, despite being 200+ pounds and quite
strong I've never spun a tire on clean pavement by pedaling, even in my
racing...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

Ron Ruff wrote:
HKEK wrote:
Might this be because the spoke line on the outside of the flange is
better and fewer fatigue failures occur on spokes outside the flange?

I don't see it. And...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

HKEK wrote:
I would like to get back to the central issue that started this
thread. Shimano has specific instructions as to how spokes are to be
laced to their disc brake hubs. Take a look at...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 10:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jan 3, 7:39�pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:
Do you have a copy of _The Bicycle Wheel_? �You'll find the analysis...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 10:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Henderson wrote:
_ wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:25:33 -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:

Torque is torque. Not having seen "jim's" entire post, I
don't know
where you got the...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jan 3, 10:41�am, jim beam wrote:
HKEK wrote:
On Jan 3, 4:35 am, wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:
The...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

wrote:
someone wrote:

The weight of the rider plus bike creates more tension in the
wheel than pedaling torque. Therefore, there is no reason...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 09, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

_ wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:53:12 -0800, jim beam wrote:

braking torque increases spoke tension more than pedaling torque.

Wow.

Another revalation from the master.
Forum: Techniques January 3rd 09, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

Tom Reingold wrote:
On Jan 2, 2:36�pm, Ron Ruff wrote:
HKEK wrote:
reason given is that braking generates higher loads on spokes (as much
10 times greater than...
Forum: Techniques January 3rd 09, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By jim beam
Understanding Wheel Building

Brian Nystrom wrote:
HKEK wrote:
I gave that some thought, not interlacing the spokes. That would seem
to achieve all of the design objectives. I just have not seen it in
practice nor have...
Forum: Techniques January 3rd 09, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

HKEK wrote:
On Jan 3, 4:35�am, wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:
The weight of the rider plus bike creates more tension in the wheel
than pedaling torque....
Forum: Techniques December 30th 08, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By jim beam
Greasy disappointment

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:47:06 -0800, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Dec 30, 11:11Â*am, jim beam wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Dec 30, 7:15 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500