Showing results 1 to 25 of 158
Search took 1.51 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Earl Purple
Forum: UK October 21st 07, 05:23 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Earl Purple
City Of London Police - more baffling prioritising.

On Oct 18, 8:58 am, "Nigel Cliffe" wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
In article ,
says...
This is ridiculous and...
Forum: UK July 5th 07, 12:42 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Earl Purple
Death in Greenwich Park

On 3 Jul, 23:58, Nick wrote:
Tom Crispin wrote:
It has finally happened.

Those who have followed my posts over the years will have found me
frequently sounding off...
Forum: UK June 29th 07, 04:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 220
Posted By Earl Purple
Law-abiding majority 'is a myth'

On 29 Jun, 15:27, Marc Brett wrote:
Not necessarily. The optimal speed for higher MPG is usually around
55mph,so limiting speeds to 40mph on roads would be more...
Forum: UK June 29th 07, 03:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 220
Posted By Earl Purple
Law-abiding majority 'is a myth'

On 27 Jun, 17:44, Marc Brett wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:45:22 +0100, Matt B

Higher speeds reduce the time available to react to emergencies,
increase stopping...
Forum: UK March 7th 07, 12:51 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 48
Posted By Earl Purple
Driver uses her car as a weapon, Deptford

On 7 Mar, 11:38, "spindrift" wrote:
From C+

snip big story about lunatic teenage girl drivers
End quote.

The police have been very good and have the...
Forum: UK March 7th 07, 12:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 64
Posted By Earl Purple
Panorama: Go green or else!

On 7 Mar, 00:47, (Roger Merriman) wrote:
Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:
Forum: UK March 7th 07, 10:27 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 54
Posted By Earl Purple
Police refuse to chase bike thieves

On 4 Mar, 10:15, David Hansen wrote:
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:30:33 +0000 someone who may be Sue White
wrote this:-

But the police do...
Forum: UK March 7th 07, 10:21 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 54
Posted By Earl Purple
Police refuse to chase bike thieves

On 6 Mar, 21:06, "Paul Murphy"
wrote:
How about the possibility that people parking illegally have just popped
into a shop for 5 mins (outside a...
Forum: UK March 6th 07, 06:15 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 63
Posted By Earl Purple
Columbia bike rider gets hit with SUV, ticket

On 5 Mar, 15:48, David Damerell
wrote:
Quoting Ekul Namsob :

David Damerell ...
Forum: UK February 15th 07, 05:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 54
Posted By Earl Purple
OT Bendy Buses

On 15 Feb, 15:10, Phil Cook wrote:
If you think London bendy buses are bad take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyC6TpAdBQE&NR

About 30...
Forum: UK February 15th 07, 05:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 22
Posted By Earl Purple
Are pedal cycles 'Vehicles' ?

On 15 Feb, 08:42, "Jon" wrote:
On 14 Feb, 22:19, "OG" wrote:

I'm in discussion with someone on another group regarding whether pedal
Forum: UK February 14th 07, 11:56 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 365
Posted By Earl Purple
"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

On 13 Feb, 19:04, Simon Dean wrote:

But it's not just cars. It's people. We lack housing. House prices have
sky rocketed, and they continue to do so because apparently...
Forum: UK January 30th 07, 03:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 100
Posted By Earl Purple
Daniel Cadden Case Appeal Result.

On 27 Jan, 23:33, John Hearns wrote:
Simon Dean wrote:
Let's apply your logic, shall we?
Several days a week, I drive across London at the start of a business
trip by car....
Forum: UK January 24th 07, 05:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 21
Posted By Earl Purple
Cycle Parking Farcility of the Month

On 23 Jan, 18:26, (Alan J. Wylie) wrote:
http://wylie.me.uk/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/2007/01/23#cpfotm

A strange shiny stainless steel structure appeared outside work a
couple of...
Forum: UK January 24th 07, 01:55 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 29
Posted By Earl Purple
Reply from "No. 10" re cycling lane petition

On 18 Jan, 18:47, "Jeremy Parker" wrote:
I don't understand the bit in the reply about lanes creating extra
space. Surely, painted or not, the road after treatment...
Forum: UK January 8th 07, 01:51 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 22
Posted By Earl Purple
Contraflow cycle lane - Opinions?

Josey wrote:
What's the considered opinion of a contraflow cycle lane on one-way roads?

Useful on some occasions, like being able to head South along New North
Road / Pitfield Street.

On some...
Forum: UK January 8th 07, 01:36 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Earl Purple
Cycling causes congestion

Tom Crispin wrote:
From the Shanghai Daily - 4 January 2007

BICYCLES STILL RULE THE ROAD

But when the urban residents go out, one-third walk, less than 20
percent take the bus, and about...
Forum: UK December 26th 06, 01:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Replies: 220
Posted By Earl Purple
cyclist nearly kills himself

On 2006-12-21, Earl Purple wrote:

The correct way to behave when crossing at a traffic light is to wait
for the signal to change, then make...
Forum: UK December 21st 06, 03:55 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 17
Posted By Earl Purple
Ever been propositioned..

Señor Chris wrote:
Steph Peters wrote:

And how come this truly ancient thread got resurrected? My post was months
ago.

Sounds like Alan was Googling for "men +...
Forum: UK December 21st 06, 01:16 PM Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Replies: 220
Posted By Earl Purple
cyclist nearly kills himself

p.k. wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
I'm
certainly not saying that cyclists should be jumping lights, but why
should cyclists be singled out?

The difference (from the perspective of the...
Forum: UK December 20th 06, 04:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 374
Posted By Earl Purple
cyclists in the fog

The Reid wrote:
you must be puzzled by a lot of things in life then.
Cyclists without lights are not "invisible" they are much harder to
see and therefore more likely to be hit by a car....
Forum: UK December 20th 06, 02:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Replies: 220
Posted By Earl Purple
cyclist nearly kills himself

p.k. wrote:
TripleS wrote:
Further observation: A fair number of cycle lanes appear to be a
complete waste of time and money, as they are often applied in such a
piecemeal fashion. In...
Forum: UK December 20th 06, 01:59 PM Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Replies: 220
Posted By Earl Purple
cyclist nearly kills himself

Ian wrote:

I can't find a report on the Court case at the moment, but it related to
this incident http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/4262766.stm
. I note that another...
Forum: UK December 20th 06, 01:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Earl Purple
Why they don't cycle:

stevo wrote:
Earl Purple wrote:
Not fit enough 25%
As already posted, "I'm not fit enough to do exercise..."

May cover the "too hilly" where they feel that you need to be a
Forum: UK December 18th 06, 06:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Earl Purple
Why they don't cycle:

Sue White wrote:
They don't stand up to examination, do they?

I don't know Manchester and the routes of these commuters, so I'll
answer it from a London perspective for some of my answers. Some of...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 158