Search: Posts made by: Joy Beeson
Forum: General February 11th 18, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: I can't twitch my tail

I can't do what a cat does because I don't have the same body parts,
but a stiff old lady can learn quite a lot about mounting a bicycle by
watching a cat preparing to leap.

--
Joy Beeson
joy...

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 15:58:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Most of us drive too. It is damned easy not to see a cyclist.

I remember a time when I'd have killed a wrong-way cyclist or...
Forum: General February 4th 18, 02:07 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Dead Right

(In appropriate jurisdictions, replace "right" with "left".)

There are various and sundry laws in different jurisdictions about
passing another vehicle on the right.

What the law says doesn't...
Forum: Techniques February 3rd 18, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Joy Beeson
letter to editor

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 07:48:41 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].

Witness the...
Forum: Techniques February 3rd 18, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Joy Beeson
letter to editor

On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 07:55:57 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

The way to really foster cycling is simple: Provide bike paths and
trails.

You can build infrastructure until you...
Forum: General February 1st 18, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Winter training

When I saw that yesterday and Friday were predicted to be usable-road
days, I thought I'd take a "dump tour" (about eleven miles) on
Tuesday, and if that went well, go to the Friday Specials at Duck...
Forum: Techniques January 28th 18, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 59
Posted By Joy Beeson
Some lives matter. Some don't

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:14:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Personally I ride in groups of one as it eliminates the necessity of
paying attention to all the problems of riding in a...
Forum: General January 27th 18, 07:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Bummed

Friday, 26 January 2018, was a lovely sunny warm day, and I finally
wash-in-bleached the bin of dish towels and cleaning rags and dried
them in the sun. Not a prolonged stay in the sun because it...
Forum: Techniques January 21st 18, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Joy Beeson
1940's bicycle clothing

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 09:39:58 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Turned up cuffs on jeans were common.

We rolled up our jeans because they were too long. Don't roll up
jeans that...
Forum: General January 21st 18, 03:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Winter training

At New Year's my goal was to get strong enough to ride to Spring Creek
while it is still cold enough to carry cheese etc. without also
carrying ice.

I got a good start on the tenth of January, when...
Forum: General January 10th 18, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: The awkward stage

Still no sun, but the overcast brightened a little while I was
preparing to nap. Streets still very, very wet. I had to walk in
snow a couple of times, but didn't ride through any except for a...
Forum: General January 9th 18, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: The awkward stage

Nary a speck of sun today, unless it came out during my nap.

The roads are clear, but very, very wet, and tomorrow will be below
freezing. But if we get some of the promised sun before I dig my...
Forum: Techniques January 8th 18, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Joy Beeson
Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 22:28:36 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet...
Forum: General January 7th 18, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: The awkward stage

14:00 Sunday

The sidewalks are mostly unusable, but only streaks of snow remain in
the streets. An hour of sunshine would clear them, but we aren't
going to get that and might get more snow.

But...
Forum: Techniques January 7th 18, 05:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Joy Beeson
Joerg Antidote

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:43:16 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

It's a sentimental thing about the Crimean War, but it tends to fog up
your glasses.

That's a ski mask. A...
Forum: General January 7th 18, 04:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: The awkward stage

@ 10:00

It snowed an inch in the night. I can remember when that would not
have deterred me; my skinny inch-and-a-quarter tires would cut right
through to pavement.

Well, that and I lived on a...
Forum: General December 31st 17, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: How to ride on a sidewalk

I found this essay on my desktop. I've no idea who wrote it or where
I found it, so I can't give proper credit.

I can expand it a bit; see below the...
Forum: General December 24th 17, 04:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Merry Christmas

I ain't going noplace until the new year, then I'm starting over from
scratch. I've got a carrot: Duck Down and Above offers specials
every Friday, it's a nice quarter century, and we are low on...
Forum: Techniques December 24th 17, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Joy Beeson
Standards; always room for one more!

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 21:10:08 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Meh. If that's so good, why don't the animals wear their skin that way? ;-)

They *do* wear their fur next to...
Forum: General December 18th 17, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: It's groggy out

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 07:44:19 +0700, John B.
wrote:

In my case it was basically short tendons.

Mine is, the doctor assured me, irritated but not torn. I'm halfway
through a...
Forum: General December 17th 17, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: It's groggy out

Snow season started last Monday, and I'm shut in until after New
Year's. I hope I get my alpaca tights darned by then.

In the meanwhile, I'm trying to drive the car once in a while to build
up my...
Forum: General December 10th 17, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Spinning, slogging, grinding and hills

When we tell people that it isn't a good idea to wreck your knees and
exhaust yourself by slogging up hills, they seem to think that we're
saying "spin furiously and get all out of breath".

The idea...
Forum: General December 3rd 17, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 800
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Salutatory fear

Back in the eighties, I took a Youth Hostel tour of southern England.
After we'd been there a couple of weeks, I skillfully executed a
perfect left turn -- and found myself on the opposite side of...
Forum: Techniques November 30th 17, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Joy Beeson
FLU

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 08:01:55 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The radio programs advertising animal feed is obviously not germane
when discussing your living accommodations.

Not to...
Forum: General November 29th 17, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
SR 15

I rode on Detroit Street today -- just far enough to get to the other
side of US 30. Oddly, the swirling traffic where the two barrier
roads intersect is less hair-raising than the rest of SR 15. ...