Showing results 1 to 25 of 47
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bruce Dawson
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 05:12 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 4
Posted By Bruce Dawson
*PING* West London hockey unicyclists

Emile.m;1169053 wrote:
thank you.

You want me to scan the original copy of the text? There's some more
pictures.

That would be great -- it would be nice to see more of the pictures.
Forum: Unicycling January 6th 09, 07:05 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Seattle To Portland On A Unicycle (July 2009)

Ducttape;1165199 wrote:
that's what I've been thinking... I'm going to keep pumping out the
miles and we'll see as the date approaches if it will be possible for
me.

Sounds good. You should...
Forum: Unicycling January 6th 09, 06:18 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Seattle To Portland On A Unicycle (July 2009)

Ducttape;1165181 wrote:
Has anyone here every thought of(or attempted) making the entire route
in one day on a 36'er?

I've thought about it, but I haven't done anything that put me in
danger...
Forum: Unicycling January 5th 09, 12:41 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Seattle To Portland On A Unicycle (July 2009)

I did the STP in 2005, shortly after my 40th birthday. Bungeejoe did it
in 2007 (shortly before his 50th birthday?), and various other people
have done it other years. I also tried it in 2008, as a...
Forum: Unicycling December 29th 08, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 37
Posted By Bruce Dawson
10-15 hours of practice gets you where, now ?

monocyclism;1159754 wrote:
So after buying my beginner unicycle I religiously videoed my progress
on an hourly basis. I had never used a unicycle before so I was absolute
beginner. The video...
Forum: Unicycling December 29th 08, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 66
Posted By Bruce Dawson
need hill climbing advice

Bruce Dawson;1158480 wrote:
Therefore the steepest hill that can be climbed if you apply just your
weight to the pedals with 6" cranks on a 36" wheel is somewhat less than
a 2/3pi grade or...
Forum: Unicycling December 29th 08, 02:08 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 66
Posted By Bruce Dawson
need hill climbing advice

Starting up-hill is very challenging, with the difficulty increasing
swiftly with the steepness of the hill. If you can't mount uphill then
turn around, mount down-hill, and do a quick u-turn. It's...
Forum: Unicycling December 26th 08, 07:08 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 66
Posted By Bruce Dawson
need hill climbing advice

One thing I didn't see mentioned was the importance of handlebars.
Depending on the length of your cranks and size of your wheel you will
at some point (probably between 12% and 24% grade) reach a...
Forum: Unicycling July 31st 08, 10:07 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Air saddles versus other saddles

Maybe this is a stupid question, but somebody has to ask it.

I assume that the reason why unicycle seats are so different from bike
seats is so that your legs can 'grab' the seat to give you...
Forum: Unicycling June 12th 08, 04:15 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 4
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Role call for Unicyclist still looking for RTL teammates

legtod2 wrote:
Well I must concede defeat. It appears there is no opportunity for me to
participate as a rider in the RTL event.

I'm really sorry it didn't work out -- I feel your...
Forum: Unicycling May 15th 08, 06:40 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 0
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Ride the Lobster Teams- place your bets!

johnfoss wrote:
The Centurions have 101 years of riding experience between the three of
us.

101 years of riding experience? Wow -- that's crazy. Our team is not
planning to win this thing but...
Forum: Unicycling May 15th 08, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Better 29" tire for side-slopes/high-speed turning

I've got a Schlumpf 29" unicycle with the Schwalbe Big Apple tire. It's
a sweet ride and I can cruise at a pretty respectable speed -- not 20
mph like I've seen mentioned, but 14-15 mph for...
Forum: Unicycling May 2nd 08, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 29
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Role call for Unicyclist still looking for RTL teammates

It is true that with 102 riders (34 * 3 == 102) it is inevitable that
something will happen. My team (the Puget Sounders, we're on the web
site) may be needing a replacement rider. Send me a private...
Forum: Unicycling April 23rd 08, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Calling all Seattle-area Unicyclists

zipper wrote:
I Live 30 Min From Seattle I Ride Coker, Muni, Freestyle Too

Contact me or tomblackwood to get on the list for various rides. We
usually ride the IronHorse trail a few times a...
Forum: Unicycling April 23rd 08, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Bruce Dawson
5 guni's on yesterday's ride

sockmonster wrote:
I was probably doing 15 or so on my coker when I wiped out last week

I've had good luck in a couple of years of distance riding that I
haven't had any falls I couldn't run...
Forum: Unicycling April 23rd 08, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Calling all Seattle-area Unicyclists

reidj wrote:
basketball, hockey

Basketball? Hockey? Excellent! I haven't played unicycle hockey since
last summer and maybe a new player will help push this community in
that direction.
Forum: Unicycling March 12th 08, 04:42 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 14
Posted By Bruce Dawson
My new KH/Schlumpf geared 29er!!

TonyMelton wrote:
What length did you end up using, Bruce?

None so far. Last I checked in with unicycle.com they didn't have a
Schlumpf hub yet and were still advising me to hold off until...
Forum: Unicycling February 17th 08, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Foot position on pedals

I've been doing some distance riding with my daughter lately and she
says that her calf muscles are getting sore, and her thighs aren't
getting at all tired. This seems wrong -- distance riding,...
Forum: Unicycling February 17th 08, 06:14 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 1
Posted By Bruce Dawson
My new KH/Schlumpf geared 29er!!

siafirede wrote:
I wish I had a cycle computer with me so I could know how fast I was
going.

I recommend a GPS wris****ch. As well as recording
average-speed/top-speed/lap-speed/current-speed...
Forum: Unicycling February 14th 08, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 50
Posted By Bruce Dawson
My new KH/Schlumpf geared 29er!!

saskatchewanian wrote:
You can e-mail UDC with your questions about the frame and if you ask
they might have the big apple in 2.0

So far UDC is not being very helpful. They responded saying...
Forum: Unicycling February 14th 08, 02:36 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 50
Posted By Bruce Dawson
My new KH/Schlumpf geared 29er!!

siafirede wrote:
I used 280mm straight 14g spokes.

The unicycle.com site really doesn't make this easy. They sell the KH
frame but they don't say what year it is, so I'm just going to have...
Forum: Unicycling February 11th 08, 05:24 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 50
Posted By Bruce Dawson
My new KH/Schlumpf geared 29er!!

siafirede wrote:
The bike shop built my wheel on Friday and I spent a while there
figuring everything out with how to put the uni together.

You're a bit ahead of me. I got my hub on Friday...
Forum: Unicycling September 24th 07, 04:42 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 15
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Ride The Lobster Qualifying Write Up - Nottingham to London

semach.the.monkey wrote:
2 tunnels! The first is 418 meters long and the second is 480.

Dude, you've got to come out to Seattle and ride the IronHorse trail.
It's a converted rail line also,...
Forum: Unicycling August 16th 07, 02:10 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Bruce Dawson
Unicycling to work is like buying a CD?

Or vice-versa. So says Marcus Berkmann at "The Spectator". Apparently
both are absurd acts of defiance.

http://tinyurl.com/36q7ft

Who knew?

Somehow the old-fashioned act of buying a CD doesn't...
Forum: Unicycling June 24th 07, 06:33 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 0
Posted By Bruce Dawson
London Hockey tournament photos

My wife and I took a lot of photos of the recent unicycle hockey
tournament in London that was hosted by the Lunis. There are more
photos of the Lunis than of other teams, but we tried to get photos...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 47