Showing results 1 to 21 of 21
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Forum: Techniques July 21st 08, 11:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By [email protected]
FD and chainstay angle: 63-66 vs 66-69

On 20 Lug, 18:44, JG wrote:
Huh?? *put a 700c on front and back and no angle changes... *The
relationship between the chainrings, chain, and FD is determined
largely by the seat...
Forum: Techniques July 19th 08, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By [email protected]
FD and chainstay angle: 63-66 vs 66-69

Hello,
I'm building a touring bike with an MTB crank (22-32-44). I naively
thought that an MTB FD would be better than a road one due to cage
shape.
But most MTB FDs are designed for a 66-69 degree...
Forum: Techniques June 12th 08, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Shimano Deore DX (FD-M650) and recommended chainline

On 12 Giu, 14:30, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
My current chainline is approximately 45mm or less and I find that
shifting from granny to middle ring requires too much...
Forum: Techniques June 12th 08, 11:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Shimano Deore DX (FD-M650) and recommended chainline

Hello,
I recently bought on ebay a NOS Shimano FD-m650 Deore DX front
derailer (early '90s).
My current chainline is approximately 45mm or less and I find that
shifting from granny to middle ring...
Forum: Techniques March 19th 08, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Freewheel spacer - homemade?

Hello,
I'd like to buy a "freewheel spacer" (e.g. http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=836)
to improve the chainline.
However, no LBS sells it. I could ask a friend of mine to machine it -
but...
Forum: Techniques March 13th 08, 09:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Custom cassette for flattish terrain with two bailout gears

Hello all,
my bike has 22-32-42 chainrings and a 12-28 cassette (7 speed). I am
not terribly fit.
I ride mostly on flat and would like more closely spaced gears.
However, if I replace the cassette...
Forum: Techniques February 18th 08, 02:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Choosing a Shimano MTB front hub

For a commuter, not a whole lot. LX would be my choice. Slightly nicer
finish--but even the plain Deore is fine with a bearing adjustment.
Don't forget to top up the grease to keep the weather...
Forum: Techniques February 17th 08, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Choosing a Shimano MTB front hub

Hello,
I'm going to build my first (front) wheel. The rim will be DRC ST
Touring (ETRTO 622x17), 36 holes. I will use the wheel for commuting
and light touring (I weigh 80 kg).
I would like to buy an...
Forum: Techniques December 14th 07, 12:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
BB spindle slightly too short

If the setup you've assembled does an adequate job, I'd use it and not
worry about the numbers.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Unfortunately the current setup doesn't work since the right...
Forum: Techniques December 10th 07, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
BB spindle slightly too short

Hello all,
I am building my first bike.
I bought a BB with a 110mm spindle (square taper) and a new-old-stock
Shimano FC-M510 crankset. According to the Shimano's specs, this
should give a 47.5mm...
Forum: Techniques September 19th 07, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
Crank thread stripped: what now?

Hello all,
the crank-extractor thread on my left crank (shimano deore aluminium
square taper) is completely stripped.
I have already extracted the crank, but I would like to use it again
and...
Forum: Techniques June 15th 07, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Shimano RD-M330 capacity

Hi all,
I have a Shimano RD-M330 rear derailler on my bike (old Alivio model).
Will it handle a 34t cog?

Thanks,
Federico
Forum: Techniques June 6th 07, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
Replacement for a damaged crankset

Hello,
I damaged a crankset while trying to remove it: stripped threads and
bent inner ring (actually, a friend of mine "helped" me).
The crankset is a cheap Shimano FC-CT93 (Shimano Altus circa...
Forum: Techniques May 7th 07, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Removing paint from painted steel chainrings

Hello all,
my bike has a basic Shimano crankset, where the chainrings are made of
painted steel (black).
I'd like them to be silver.
Is it possible to remove the paint, or will I get just an ugly...
Forum: Techniques February 5th 07, 11:17 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
Seat post too small: what now?

Hello,
I am refurbishing an Al trekking bike which has a too small seat post:
in order to lock it, the "ears" of the frame have been squeezed
excessively (judging by eye) and almost touch. The seat...
Forum: Techniques October 13th 06, 01:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
Respacing rear hub

Steve Gravrock ha scritto:

Off-the-shelf 36 spoke touring wheels shouldn't be hard to find. Just at
a glance, Nashbar has one for $120 at http://tinyurl.com/vj8oe and
Harris Cyclery has one...
Forum: Techniques October 12th 06, 09:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
Respacing rear hub

Hello Nate,
thanks for the extremely detailed reply!

I assume that by naming 135 as "now standard" you mean to say your bike
is a 130-spaced MTB (130 is still the size for road hubs). If the...
Forum: Techniques October 12th 06, 09:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
Respacing rear hub

landotter ha scritto:

Keep looking for a correctly sized wheelset. 130 is road standard 135
is mtb and most touring and hybrid bikes. Some frames are 132.5mm
spaced and can take either. You...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 06, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
Respacing rear hub

Hello,
I would like to buy a new wheelset for my commuter. I found some nice
wheelsets for sale on ebay for less than a hundred euros, but my bike
has a rear spacing of 130mm instead of the now...
Forum: Techniques August 24th 06, 11:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
From flatbar to drop bar: shopping list

Hello all,
I have a hybrid bike that I would like to convert from flatbars to drop
bars.
Apart from stem & handlebar, what else should I replace?

These are my current components:
-mountain bike...
Forum: Techniques August 8th 06, 02:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Fork flex: headset play?

Hello all,
while trying to check that my bike headset is OK I noticed that the
fork assembly is quite flexy. If I brake hard and rock the bike back
and forth, I feel a noticeable springy effect; the...
Showing results 1 to 21 of 21