Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.27 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mark Thompson
Forum: UK June 6th 07, 11:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 14
Posted By Mark Thompson
Red Light Jumping Clampdown in City?

two of London's finest were
stopping cyclists who had recently jumped the lights at red southbound
on Bishopsgate at the Threadneedle Street junction.

Ace.
Forum: UK June 6th 07, 10:53 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 64
Posted By Mark Thompson
bloody CTC

I believe that some use random number generators. This could be urban
myth however.

Well, if they do (and some do), they're breaking the law.

(Bona fide) market research companies are...
Forum: UK June 5th 07, 01:22 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 28
Posted By Mark Thompson
Just how fast are recumbents ?

Brian Day wrote in :

So how did he do it ?

Bigger muscles and better lungs ;)
Forum: UK June 4th 07, 08:30 PM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 240
Posted By Mark Thompson
Last night's London Critical Mass.

or you could
hop aboard and cruise down clear bus lanes for as far as that same eye
can see. Your choice. Seriously, take the bus. You know it makes
sense.

Sod that, hop aboard the...
Forum: UK June 4th 07, 08:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 64
Posted By Mark Thompson
bloody CTC

To be honest, your 'tip' sounds like condescending crap from someone
that's never had any problems with computers phoning your number and
consequently refuses to believe anyone has such...
Forum: UK June 4th 07, 08:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 46
Posted By Mark Thompson
Drivers can't recognise signs

At least as a motorist, they have demonstrated some competency with
road signs. And cyclists have demonstrated what competency??

Pretty much the same as pedestrians. Thankfully standards (and...
Forum: UK June 4th 07, 08:00 PM Posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 164
Posted By Mark Thompson
CTC's economy with the veritas

It's not the sort of person who wants a bicycle to take on their 4x4
to 'go green' on 10 km of Sustrans route that I am referring to, but
the sort of one who was seriously thinking about...
Forum: UK June 4th 07, 07:44 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 64
Posted By Mark Thompson
bloody CTC

But it's better than nothing. It's just not as miraculous as you
claim.

Works for me, guess the world's just got it in for you. Tip: next time you
get a call, ask to speak to their...
Forum: UK June 4th 07, 07:33 PM Posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 164
Posted By Mark Thompson
CTC's economy with the veritas

The other thing you have missed is the harm that the racing dogmatism
has done to cycling as a form of transport in this country. I really
am not joking that about half of the people I have...
Forum: UK June 4th 07, 07:17 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 64
Posted By Mark Thompson
bloody CTC

The other group of people for whom the words **** off are also
appropriate are the *******s who make telephone calls trying to sell
something.

Telephone preference service stop it all. For...
Forum: UK June 4th 07, 08:38 AM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 240
Posted By Mark Thompson
Last night's London Critical Mass.

If you're really concerned with maximum utility, perhaps you should
be considering overall person throughput instead of the speed of
individual vehicles. 40-odd people on a bus surely...
Forum: UK June 3rd 07, 10:55 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 43
Posted By Mark Thompson
Getting gimped on 14% climbs

No, it's not probable that gravity mystically pulls harder on a bike than
on your body. It's... improbable.

I didn't think Simon was claiming this?

To reiterate; I don't climb significantly...
Forum: UK June 3rd 07, 10:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Mark Thompson
Pac-a-mac and similar

Can I figure out how to condense it into its integral rear pocket? Can I
b*ll*cks! It was an advertised feature, so I know it is possible.

I've tried repeatedly folding

Don't fold, just...
Forum: UK June 3rd 07, 10:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 49
Posted By Mark Thompson
To Troll or Not to Troll

give it a rest on the holier-than-thou comments.

Please tell me which of my comments that applies to.
Forum: UK June 1st 07, 11:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 49
Posted By Mark Thompson
To Troll or Not to Troll

Some people on URC think Matt B is a troll. Some people don't. If
people (myself included) wish to reply and discuss issues with Matt then
please let us.

Correction: "Matt B is a troll....
Forum: UK June 1st 07, 11:31 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 23
Posted By Mark Thompson
Official changes to the Highway Code

" * 61 Cycle Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle
boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so.

The first sentence of 61 is horrible.

Yep. Often...
Forum: UK June 1st 07, 02:36 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By Mark Thompson
How rubbish is Evans Cycles?

She has rung them every week asking for a leadtime
for stock to be delivered only to be told by the customer advisor that
they would check and get back to her. Nada, nothing, not one customer
Forum: UK May 31st 07, 09:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Mark Thompson
Sterling House

At least you're just a bod. I sell bicycles for a living and failed
to persuade a friend not to buy a heap of dual-suspended junk from
Halfords. B'ah!

Has your friend now been...
Forum: UK May 31st 07, 12:23 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Mark Thompson
Sterling House

Oh dear. Despite my best efforts, a colleague ordered two BSOs from the
above emporium of tat for the bargain price of œ100. One of them turned
up at work today. My God is it...
Forum: UK May 28th 07, 09:59 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 82
Posted By Mark Thompson
How far can you lean?

Incidentally, some bicycle tyres now have a motorcycle-inspired
v-shape to give better grip when cornering.

No they don't.

Does so...
Forum: UK May 27th 07, 11:07 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By Mark Thompson
The club run.

hard work holding on to the pack up hills, prob a
combination of not used to the pace, and the mountain bike being a bit
heavier.

Bet the pack found it hard work to pull away from that nutter...
Forum: UK May 27th 07, 11:05 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 82
Posted By Mark Thompson
How far can you lean?

On my pedal bike I haven't yet found the confidence to lean at similar
angles during fast speed descents. Anyone know if similar lean angles
are possible?

Pedal strikes on the ground are...
Forum: UK May 27th 07, 09:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 26
Posted By Mark Thompson
Wanted: the impossible tyre...

Dan Gregory wrote:

I don't think I've had a puncture

I hear the sound of a million tiny, flapping wings as a hoard of p*ncture
fairies descend upon your tubulars. They look like locusts only...
Forum: UK May 27th 07, 07:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By Mark Thompson
Tyres for street/trail on an MTB

How does the Marathon compare with the Marathon Plus for punctures? Also,
how much difference does the weight make? (600g and 980g)

The difference the weight makes depends on your riding style. ...
Forum: UK May 27th 07, 10:18 AM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 355
Posted By Mark Thompson
Police win powers to control Critical Mass cycle rally

I've never heard a traffic bulletin advertising a protest to the
effect "Come and join us".

And neither have you.

Every now and then I think "this joke is so obvious that it doesn't need a...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500