Showing results 1 to 25 of 56
Search took 0.99 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Big Jim
Forum: Techniques April 28th 12, 11:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Big Jim
Disc Brake Mounting Problem

Last fall I purchased a Schwinn Sierra GSD frameset from Nashbar. I am
building a comfort/town bike for myself with spare parts. I tried to
mount avid disc bakes but the barrel adjuster is directly...
Forum: Techniques December 31st 10, 02:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 139
Posted By Big Jim
I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

Dude SPD shoes are under $50. Who'd pay $150 for bike shoes?

On Dec 30, 11:23*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message

Forum: Racing December 31st 10, 02:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 127
Posted By Big Jim
I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

Dude SPD shoes are under $50. Who'd pay $150 for bike shoes?

On Dec 30, 11:23*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message

Forum: Techniques December 22nd 10, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 104
Posted By Big Jim
Los Altos Hills bicyclist killed in big-rig crash was a mother,

Why does everyone automatically assume the driver is at fault. I've
seen enugh "wrong way jose's" and "ninja" cyclists to realize that
many cyclists contribute to their own demises. What if the...
Forum: Techniques September 20th 10, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By Big Jim
Trigger Shifters for the Daily Ride

Front derailleurs will work with any shifter at least in the MTB
family.

On Sep 11, 6:27*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 9/11/2010 4:45 PM, T. Berk wrote:

Forum: Techniques August 24th 10, 01:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Big Jim
Evidence-based saddle adjustment

Most people have them too low. If you are comfy dont worry

On Aug 24, 4:23*am, Tom Anderson wrote:
Hello,

This morning, a fellow cyclist pulled up alongside me to tell...
Forum: Techniques August 20th 10, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Big Jim
L.A. Mayor Pushing for All Ages MHL in California FollowingAccident Where He Believes his Helmet Saved Him

CA brought America Nutsy Pelosi so why is this surprising?

On Aug 19, 9:53*am, Andre Jute wrote:
On Aug 19, 1:58*am, SMS wrote:

Forum: Techniques August 10th 10, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
From suspension to normal fork on MTB

A screwdriver and hammer removes a crown race fine and a piece of pipe
from Home depot installs it. At most LBS's here you wont get much for
$40.

On Aug 9, 9:38*pm, landotter ...
Forum: Techniques August 5th 10, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 524
Posted By Big Jim
Bicycle accident = glad i had my Helmet on this time

The helmet gods have smiled on you. You must now state that your
helmet saved your life at every opportunity

On Aug 5, 10:12*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

Forum: Techniques May 8th 10, 12:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Big Jim
Trek 930 Rack Mount Screws

What size screw fits the rack/fender mounts on a Trek 930 (1996 or
so). I tried a 10-32 but it didnt seem to fit. Thanks
Forum: Techniques November 11th 09, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Big Jim
Can I use a 9 speed chain with an 8 speed cassette with 8 speedspacing?

It should work fine. I have a 9 speed chain w/ 9 speed front der and
chainrings with an 8 speed cassete. I use Campy Centaur to shift the
deore rear derailleur and the shifteing is excellent. I...
Forum: Techniques November 3rd 09, 10:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Big Jim
Intentional rear end collision

If cyclists kept to the right they wouldnt get drivers as upset.

On Nov 2, 11:43*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
*Jobst...
Forum: General October 1st 09, 10:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Jim
How Should You Respond to Road Rage?

Carpunching is usually a good choice when a cager tries to back or
change lanes lanes into me.

On Oct 1, 8:41Â*am, Ablang wrote:
How Should You Respond to Road Rage?

This is...
Forum: Techniques September 27th 09, 10:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Big Jim
Fm Shi 9s to Campy 10s

You can use the 9 speed shimano stuff as is by changing the rear
derailleur cable attachment. Google "hubbub" and "shimergo" The 10
speed Campy works with 8 speed simano with no mods. An 8...
Forum: Techniques September 12th 09, 12:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Big Jim
SL-BS77 barend Shifters

I was reading that these barend shifters can shift both 9 speed and 8
speed cassettes in index mode. Is this true
Forum: Techniques September 5th 09, 08:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Jim
STI and MTB Front Derailleur

will the shimano sti "brifters" work with a MTB front derailleur on a
MTB crankset (44-32-22 for example)?
Forum: Techniques August 27th 09, 08:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Big Jim
Ohio community's radar sign warns speedy cyclists

The problem with trails/paths is that they make rules and signage too
confusing. The signs should simply say "All trail users keep right".
Nothings worse than riding along and having idiots walking...
Forum: Rides July 30th 09, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 2
Posted By Big Jim
left turn signal at hwy35 and hwy92

That looks like a beautiful ride. You Californians are blessed to
live in such a beautiful state. If you only would get rid of illegals
and get a real conservative governor CA would be close to...
Forum: Racing July 26th 09, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 41
Posted By Big Jim
Lance A Dud This Year

I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . I'm not impressed with him at all
Forum: General July 26th 09, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By Big Jim
Sad Moment: Bike Messenger vs. Pedestrian

Good For the messenger. That pedestrian acted aggressively and
confrontational. Clearly self defense. Of course the cyclist could
have gotten on the bike and ridden away but the pedestrain...
Forum: General July 23rd 09, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 10
Posted By Big Jim
For you who use ::: what is your Favorite Bicycle Helmet ??

Bell metro is the most comfy I've ever used.

On Jul 23, 10:44*am, "Janet O'Leary"
wrote:
I'm looking to replace my old Bell..

So far, can't decide which one to...
Forum: Techniques July 20th 09, 01:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Big Jim
hybrid v. mtn bike?

The Trek Allant looks nice- too bad I bought a used cannondale hybrid
and made a city type bike. Jamis does seem to have nice bikes at a
wide range of prices. Fuji , Trek etc all have good...
Forum: Techniques July 20th 09, 12:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Big Jim
hybrid v. mtn bike?

Get another hybrid- Fisher is not the only brand out there !!!!!
Mosty MTBs have handlebars set too low and a long top tube to get that
"racer" look. 26" wheels arent as fast as 700 and with a...
Forum: Techniques July 19th 09, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Big Jim
Fat ass getting back on the bike

Great point. A hybrid is perfect for get on and go riding is
comfortable and quick enough to enough it. When he loses some weight
the road bike will seem like a rocket. Plus he'll have two bikes-...
Forum: Racing July 18th 09, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Jim
Lance A Dud So Far

He cant make up 8 seconds?