Showing results 1 to 25 of 76
Search took 1.17 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Winston
Forum: Techniques November 9th 11, 11:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Winston
30 of the Worst Bicycles

Lou Holtman wrote:
On 9 nov, 22:57, Jeff wrote:
I put together a page of pictures of 30 of the worst and strangest bicycles
that I have ever seen. It's...
Forum: Techniques October 30th 11, 04:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Winston
Tire-making: testing, pre-testing, ect.

DougC wrote:
Sorry no new pics this time.
Progress continues and I've come up with many new ideas.
Simple chance would seem to indicate that they're probably not all bad.

--------

Today...
Forum: Social Issues October 11th 11, 04:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Winston
Here's the new ride.....

Harry Brogan wrote:
Here's a few shots taken today as I picked up and took the new ride
home.......Take a look as I am still open for suggestions.....

Forum: Techniques October 8th 11, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 142
Posted By Winston
Sidewalks, bikes, & civil engineering

Frank Krygowski wrote:

My favorites are "Bicycle" and "Excuse me." The word "left," no matter
what words surround it, seems to mean nothing to pedestrians.

*Many* pedestrians, perhaps.

When I...
Forum: Techniques August 23rd 11, 07:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Winston
Bent plywood bicycle frame

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

(...)

"Made by Monkeys" is my favorite column in Design News magazine. It
deals with product design defects:
http://www.designnews.com/archives.asp?section_id=1367
Forum: Techniques August 21st 11, 07:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Replies: 126
Posted By Winston
OT - Motos

Phil W Lee wrote:

(...)

It's ok if you know what you are doing.
It's a broken ankle if you don't.

Or arthritis in that ankle later in life.
AMHIKT (B50T) Ewwww!
Forum: Techniques August 12th 11, 07:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 43
Posted By Winston
Fluorescent bike headlight?

"T°m Sherm@n" wrote:
On 8/11/2011 6:38 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]
You can keep it from flashing by simply installing a BFC (big fat
capacitor) across the LED.[...]

Is BFC...
Forum: Techniques August 12th 11, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 43
Posted By Winston
Fluorescent bike headlight?

Frank Krygowski wrote:

(...)

Before testing it, I was most concerned about very low speeds. Slow
speed strobes (just a few Hertz) can be pretty disorienting. But I
really don't think it's...
Forum: Techniques August 1st 11, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Winston
is there any way to measure tire pressure without disturbingthe valve?

wrote:
i asked before but in a more restrictive way...

new problem..

is there a way to determine bike tire pressure without opening the
valve?

1" to 2" micrometer will...
Forum: Techniques July 24th 11, 06:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 367
Posted By Winston
Bike stability physics

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jul 23, 2:35 pm, Peter wrote:

(...)

You really can't resist, can you?

There was a weirdly obnoxious little kid in our grade...
Forum: Techniques July 22nd 11, 03:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Winston
More comedy transport.

thirty-six wrote:
On Jul 22, 4:02 am, wrote:
http://youtu.be/e0v8CbOVpGY

http://youtu.be/cEYkNYX8YXg

My thick California accent prevented me from...
Forum: Techniques July 22nd 11, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Winston
Bicycling in Amsterdam.

thirty-six wrote:
On Jul 22, 4:25 am, wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
http://youtu.be/e0v8CbOVpGY

"The uploader has not made this video available in your...
Forum: Techniques July 22nd 11, 04:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Winston
Bicycling in Amsterdam.

thirty-six wrote:
http://youtu.be/e0v8CbOVpGY

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
Sorry about that."

Heh!

--Winston
Forum: Techniques July 22nd 11, 03:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 367
Posted By Winston
Bike stability physics

David Scheidt wrote:
Frank wrote:

(...)

:The wobble itself is random. That makes deliberately failing to
:correct a "good" wobble (i.e. one in the direction...
Forum: Techniques July 22nd 11, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 367
Posted By Winston
Bike stability physics

Peter Cole wrote:
On 7/21/2011 4:09 PM, Winston wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
On 7/21/2011 12:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

(...)

I think that for many riders, the timing of turns...
Forum: Techniques July 21st 11, 09:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 367
Posted By Winston
Bike stability physics

Peter Cole wrote:
On 7/21/2011 12:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

(...)

I think that for many riders, the timing of turns is very inexact, and
random. I've watched countless slow (i.e. 8 mph)...
Forum: Techniques July 18th 11, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Winston
Bike Power ( iPhone mapping and tracking)

Doc O'Leary wrote:

(...)

What I've always thought would be an interesting form of energy storage
on a bike is compressed air. You could even build it into the frame so
it wouldn't add overly...
Forum: Techniques July 16th 11, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 367
Posted By Winston
Bike stability physics

Frank Krygowski wrote:

(...)

The normal, uneducated right turn is done by deliberately failing to
correct for a random rightward tipping motion, then turning the
handlebars right, using the...
Forum: Techniques July 15th 11, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 367
Posted By Winston
Bike stability physics

Peter Cole wrote:
On 7/15/2011 12:45 AM, Winston wrote:

(...)

Then, IMVHO it is time to demonstrate the magic of counter-steering
for them because a large motorcycle is much less forgiving...
Forum: Techniques July 15th 11, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 367
Posted By Winston
Bike stability physics

James wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

Rider #3 'Reload' shifts his entire torso over the centerline of
the bike. There is some reaction force, to be sure. After that
force gets...
Forum: Techniques July 15th 11, 06:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Winston
Pedelec experience?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Winston:
You can set Bionix to 'regenerative' mode for a harder
workout, while charging the battery too.

The comments I've read on regen suggest that it is more...
Forum: Techniques July 15th 11, 06:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Winston
Pedelec experience?

Michael Press wrote:

(...)

Rule 37: Read the thread before responding.
I suggested the Gruber Assist right at the beginning.

Yeah, I remembered your citation but couldn't locate it
so I wasn't...
Forum: Techniques July 15th 11, 05:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 367
Posted By Winston
Bike stability physics

Peter Cole wrote:
On 7/14/2011 12:19 PM, Winston wrote:

(...)

I suddenly understood how it was possible to ride quite
safely on twisty mountain roads.

I don't know how you were...
Forum: Techniques July 15th 11, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Winston
Pedelec experience?

Andre Jute wrote:

(...)

I like your paratrooper bike, Winston. It looks like the business. --
AJ

That is kind of you, Andre.

I like it a lot. It isn't a Kranich, but it is a
Forum: Techniques July 14th 11, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Winston
Pedelec experience?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andre Jute:
Besides it being
a rear drive system, the linking is also proprietary on Bionx's own
bus, so that you are forced to have an entire Bionx system.

Showing results 1 to 25 of 76