Search: Posts made by: Joy Beeson
Forum: General Today, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Change of Seasons

I must remember that one handkerchief in the handkerchief pocket and a
spare in the notebook pocket no longer constitute an ample supply.

Starts out at sixty today, going up to eighty: how do I...
Forum: General Yesterday, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Rotary Park

I've found out why the walkway around the water fountain at Rotary
Park was so wide that when I first viewed it from the pavillion, I
mistook it for parking.

It *is* a parking lot. According to...
Forum: Techniques September 24th 20, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Joy Beeson
eBike News

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 22:27:32 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Cemeteries can be very beautiful. There are two near me that I regularly
ride through for the architecture,...
Forum: General September 23rd 20, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By Joy Beeson
Holy Cow! was: I approved of a road bike on a sidewalk.

The monitor I read Usenet on shows its back to the window.

While I was contemplating a reply to this thread, a bike rider in full
kit passed by on the new pavement, with his left arm sticking out. ...
Forum: General September 23rd 20, 12:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By Joy Beeson
I approved of a road bike on a sidewalk.

This afternoon, I looked across the street, saw a road bike on the
sidewalk, and told my companion the rider was doing right.

Those narrow tires slice into fresh, hot asphalt.

We haven't the...
Forum: Techniques September 22nd 20, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Joy Beeson
Latest BB creaking -- it was the headset.

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 22:25:31 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Agreed. I remember a time my "bottom bracket creak" was found to come
from my saddle.

Once a mysterious...
Forum: Techniques September 19th 20, 04:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Joy Beeson
I'm a Transporational Cyclist!

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 18:00:11 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

There is nothing in my pannier, but I may fill it with those blow-up bag packing things from the ebike unboxing just...
Forum: Techniques September 13th 20, 05:16 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 19
Posted By Joy Beeson
Sort of Comical

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 19:50:35 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But for non-competitive riding - why? If you want to train to be faster
(um... for non-competitive riding?)...
Forum: General September 13th 20, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 7
Posted By Joy Beeson
Tomorrow is Saturday!

On Tue, 01 Sep 2020 21:44:21 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Still no visible mark on the breastbone.

I think I'm back to where I was before I did the pushuplets. I...
Forum: General September 12th 20, 11:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By Joy Beeson
Riding with face mask in smoke and ash

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 20:19:44 -0700 (PDT), Kenneth Litwak
wrote:

Can I use a face mask for COVID-19 to filter out smoke and ash on a ride?

1. If I go out on a ride...
Forum: General September 6th 20, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 7
Posted By Joy Beeson
Tomorrow is Saturday!

Saturday again. I grinned grotesquely while putting a band-aid on my
chin.

Hum, that sort of scans and rhymes. I had been annoyed by a bandaid
popping off when I grinned, and decided to stick it...
Forum: General September 2nd 20, 02:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 7
Posted By Joy Beeson
Tomorrow is Saturday!

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 00:31:08 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I left the simulated push-ups out of my sciatica exercises this
evening.

Yesterday evening,...
Forum: General August 31st 20, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 7
Posted By Joy Beeson
Tomorrow is Saturday!

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 12:24:56 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Posts or bollards in paths are signs of an ignorant designer. AASHTO
standards have advised strongly against...
Forum: General August 30th 20, 05:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 7
Posted By Joy Beeson
Tomorrow is Saturday!

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 09:38:23 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I thought of something as I was drifting off to sleep and thought "I
don't need to get up to take care of...
Forum: General August 29th 20, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 7
Posted By Joy Beeson
Tomorrow is Saturday!

I thought of something as I was drifting off to sleep and thought "I
don't need to get up to take care of that; I'll remember it when I'm
putting my sandwich into my pannier tomorrow."

I didn't.

--...
Forum: General August 29th 20, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 7
Posted By Joy Beeson
Tomorrow is Saturday!

I think I've done all I can to get ready to go to the fairgrounds
farmers' market tomorrow.

I pumped up my tires -- the back tire was down to twenty pounds!

I put two packages of egg cartons I...
Forum: Techniques August 28th 20, 02:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 44
Posted By Joy Beeson
Helmet Article

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 05:32:53 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

They even have helmets for
toddlers.

The seventeenty-century pudding cap looked rather like a Skid Lid.

Perhaps it...
Forum: General August 20th 20, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Joy Beeson
North Webster takes a step toward creating a trail

From the Ink-Free News:

The study is expected to cost $30,000,

That's thirty thousand dollars just to find out whether it's feasible
to build a trail from North Webster to Wawasee Middle...
Forum: General August 18th 20, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 4
Posted By Joy Beeson
Things my BSO can do

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 11:07:50 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The Bicycle Suit seems to date from about 1895 and "safety bicycles"
were pretty much the rage by then, I believe.
Forum: General August 18th 20, 04:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 4
Posted By Joy Beeson
Things my BSO can do

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 08:56:05 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Or perhaps the classic "Bicycle Suit". Dated perhaps but you might
turn it in to a new fad :-)
Forum: General August 17th 20, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 4
Posted By Joy Beeson
Things my BSO can do

I've got a new one: I can ride my Trek Pure Crank-Forward
Semi-Recumbent (pedal-powered wheelchair for short) without sticking
band-aids on my face.

I can even wear a niqab instead of my...
Forum: General August 17th 20, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 6
Posted By Joy Beeson
Science

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 06:00:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I am interested as I need to have one ear "done". I assume that where
the transplant is made one has a swath of new skin...
Forum: General August 16th 20, 03:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Joy Beeson
Weighty matters

According to the bathroom scales, my jersey weighs only a pound. It
hefted like more than that. (My keys, etc. were in the pockets.)

Then I weighed my wallet: two and a half pounds. I thought I...
Forum: General August 16th 20, 02:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 6
Posted By Joy Beeson
Science

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 12:55:46 +0700, John B.
wrote:

How are your skin transplants doing ?

I'm getting increasingly fed up with the need to keep the scars out of
the sun, but...
Forum: General August 15th 20, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 6
Posted By Joy Beeson
Science

Whenever you read that a double-blind study has proven, beyond any
shadow of a doubt, that X is more efficient than Y, your very first
question should be "What do they mean by...