Showing results 1 to 24 of 24
Search took 0.05 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: tom
Forum: UK May 7th 08, 09:06 PM Posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By tom
Bicycles banned on Wrexham & Shropshire trains

It is with great disappointment that I see that Wrexham & Shropshire
have opted to ban cyclists from their trains:

http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk/cycles-pets-and-heavy-luggage.php

I had...
Forum: UK October 28th 07, 11:38 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 24
Posted By tom
London commute - Which single speed bike?

How about a Charge Plug?

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b83s180p2557&tbv=CHARGE_Plug_Road_&_Leisure_Bikes_Road_Bikes_-_Messenger
Forum: UK October 17th 07, 08:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By tom
You can now make bikes-on-trains reservations online..

GNER are shortly going to launch a competitor to therainline.com
selling rail tickets online. This site, which is currently being
tested ( http://tickets.gner.co.uk ) uses a completely...
Forum: UK July 1st 07, 11:33 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 0
Posted By tom
TdF coverage online

Hi all,

For unfortunate reasons (bad work timing!), it appears I am not going
to be able to catch any of the daily TdF highlights on the TV this
year. I was wondering if anybody knows of any online...
Forum: UK December 4th 06, 12:04 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 11
Posted By tom
narrow straight handlebars

A long time ago you may have seen this
http://bikesite.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page8.html

Magic - I'm pretty sure that's the photo I recognise. Thanks!

And thanks all for the tips, I...
Forum: UK December 3rd 06, 11:09 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 11
Posted By tom
narrow straight handlebars

Morning all..

Here's a question for you. One of the reasons I like drops is for their
narrowness, it freaks me out to have my hands far apart like on usual
straight handlebars.

I'm just designing...
Forum: UK October 3rd 06, 12:19 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By tom
super stuck cassette lockring

Thanks to all who replied.

To end this debacle, after hitting, groaning and trying all the tools
at my disposal, I took it down the LBS.

They just put the wheel in a vice, had both tools with...
Forum: UK September 27th 06, 06:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By tom
super stuck cassette lockring

Are you sure its a cassette and not a freewheel?

yep, I turned to Sheldon to determine that first..
(http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html)

Tony, I tried your squeeze technique with the...
Forum: UK September 27th 06, 05:38 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By tom
super stuck cassette lockring

Are you really certain you're turning it the right way?

Yep. I tested my technique on my Dawes Audax and the lockring came
undone with not too much force, which I am led to believe is the...
Forum: UK September 27th 06, 04:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By tom
super stuck cassette lockring

Stupid question : you are undoing it the right way, aren't you? (ie the
chainwhip is doing something)

Yep. It hurts my hand big style, because I've got more leverage from
the wrench. I kept...
Forum: UK September 27th 06, 04:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By tom
super stuck cassette lockring

Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the cassette on my 2001 Galaxy in order to service
the rear hub which is very noisy.

I couldn't get the lockring to undo using my super crap cassette
lockring tool....
Forum: UK September 25th 06, 12:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 66
Posted By tom
CTC error

According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow is the
new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once Phil Liggett
steps down.

Well that's great news, surely....
Forum: UK September 5th 06, 11:00 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By tom
bar end shifter indexing

Mine seems to be giving me two per gear, so perhaps I can donate a few of my
spare clicks ;-)

that's just plain greedy!
Forum: UK September 5th 06, 09:47 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By tom
bar end shifter indexing

Thanks for the tips everybody, I'll have a fiddle today and let you
know what I come up with.

Tom
Forum: UK September 4th 06, 05:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By tom
bar end shifter indexing

Hey all,

After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode, I
only get 5 clicks when changing the rear...
Forum: UK August 19th 06, 08:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By tom
Advice on budget tourer

bargains to be had over at cycle promotions:

http://www.cycle-promotions.co.uk/touring.htm

if you are very big or very small, i like the look of the Saracen
Panorama 2004.. but they only have...
Forum: UK August 19th 06, 09:27 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 32
Posted By tom
OT railways and green transport

Tony Raven wrote:
wrote on 19/08/2006 00:24 +0100:

Last year I had to go to London from Hull for an interview with BBC
radio. The return fare was 75 quid on Hull Trains....
Forum: UK August 18th 06, 11:17 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By tom
Halfords gits.

wrote:
spindrift wrote:
So I enlist for the Bike To Work scheme and ask for £800 so I can get
the Dawes Galaxy for £750 (Halford's price, you can get it loads
Forum: UK August 17th 06, 03:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By tom
bus cycle racks

thrawn wrote:
Does anyone know of any UK buses fitted with bike racks as are common
in the USA?

Another one.. the New Forest Open Top Bus apparently carries bikes, or
that was the story last...
Forum: UK August 17th 06, 03:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By tom
bus cycle racks

thrawn wrote:
Does anyone know of any UK buses fitted with bike racks as are common
in the USA?

Not sure how bikes are carried, but Tim Dearman offer bike carriage
between Inverness and...
Forum: UK August 14th 06, 11:31 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 0
Posted By tom
Lidl stuff

I got there at 8 for opening, picked up the first of 6 tool kits. The
other 5 were gone within the next 60 seconds. Other stuff wasn't going
as quickly.
Forum: UK August 11th 06, 04:49 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By tom
Flying Scotsman makes it to the big screen

The film about Graham Obree makes it to the big screen at last!

Now... how does one get to see this if not at the Edinburgh Festival...

dunno, but hopefully i'm going, so i'll let you know if...
Forum: UK August 11th 06, 04:17 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By tom
Cycle lockers in Edinburgh city centre?

wrote:
I'm planning to visit the fringe in a couple of weeks time, cycling in
and would like to leave my bike in a secured location while I wander
round the city - not...
Forum: UK August 6th 06, 10:51 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By tom
Bike and Shop advice

Go up Brick lane and buy some old second hand crap tomorrow. It is an easy
ride a good bike wouldn't make any real difference. I wouldn't have thought
it was even four miles from Island...
Showing results 1 to 24 of 24