Showing results 1 to 25 of 33
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Joel
Forum: Techniques August 23rd 07, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Joel
Shimano BB clicking

There is a clicking noise coming from the BB area when I am riding out
of saddle. I have a Dura Ace outboard BB. I removed the crank and when
I turn the bearings with my fingers they feel ok, but...
Forum: Techniques June 5th 07, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Joel
Look Keo vs Old style

Well I can get a pair of old style Looks brand new for around $65.
Three pairs of Keo's is going to run me around $250.
The smaller Keo cleats seem like they will be more prone to wear out
and...
Forum: Techniques June 4th 07, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Joel
Look Keo vs Old style

Marcus,

I started using the read and white cleats a while ago and it made no
difference.
I have the creaking problem even on two different sets of pedals,
cleats and shoes.

Joel
Forum: Techniques June 4th 07, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Joel
Look Keo vs Old style

I currently have old style look pedals on two of my bikes and need
another pair for a third bike.
I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to "upgrade" to Keo
pedals on all three.
The only...
Forum: Techniques May 3rd 07, 04:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Joel
STI 9 speed shifters

On May 1, 2:28 pm, "
wrote:
On May 1, 11:41 am, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On May 1, 9:59 am,...
Forum: Techniques May 1st 07, 06:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Joel
STI 9 speed shifters

I am building a project bike and have a pair of ST-7700 shifters left
over from another bike I upgraded to 10 speed. One of the reasons I
upgraded is that the right shift lever stopped working. Well...
Forum: Techniques April 26th 07, 10:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Joel
shimano 10 spd frt. der FD-7703 compatible with Dura Ace 9 spd triple?

I had a similar problem except with 10 speed shifters and 9 speed
front der.
I never could get it to work good.
The throw is different on 9 & 10 speed front der and shifters, its
best not to mix them.
Forum: Techniques April 20th 07, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Joel
Adding 30T cog to Ultegra cassette

I did exactly that on my tandem and it works fine.
I bought the 30T shimano cog from Harris Cyclery.

Joel
Forum: Techniques February 23rd 07, 04:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Joel
Breaking Spokes on 28H 2X wheel

Steve,

It is the force components other than tension that you mention that
might be resonsible for breaking the spokes. It is like you are
pulling on the spoke at an angle rather than straight in...
Forum: Techniques February 23rd 07, 04:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Joel
Breaking Spokes on 28H 2X wheel

On Feb 22, 11:00 am, Kinky Cowboy wrote:
On 22 Feb 2007 08:49:08 -0800, "Joel" wrote:

Can anybody here accept the fact that with fewer crosses in the
Forum: Techniques February 22nd 07, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Joel
Breaking Spokes on 28H 2X wheel

I don't have a way to measure it, but I have built probably a dozen
wheels that have no problems and spokes on this wheel are as tight or
tighter than all of those wheels. Also I was riding with a...
Forum: Techniques February 22nd 07, 03:08 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Joel
Breaking Spokes on 28H 2X wheel

Yep I use 191 or 192 mm.
What kind of tensiometer are you using, I'm thinking I should get one
but they can be expensive.
I use a screw driver handle to push the spokes against the hub flange
and...
Forum: Techniques February 21st 07, 10:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Joel
Octalink Compact crank: Ritchey WCS or FSA Energy

At $300?? You can get the FSA and six bb's for that price.

It's under $200 if you order from the UK:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=M1236

For some reason these bike part companies...
Forum: Techniques February 21st 07, 09:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Joel
Breaking Spokes on 28H 2X wheel

The spokes are breaking near the elbow but in the straight section.
The spokes are new, it is not fatigue.
I did stress relieve the spokes like I always do.
I have since discovered that I have a...
Forum: Techniques February 21st 07, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Joel
Octalink Compact crank: Ritchey WCS or FSA Energy

I have a Shimano compact crankset and it works great.
Just ditch the Octalink BB and get the new Shimano one.
Its made for 10 speed systems so not sure about compatibilty with
wider chains.

Joel
Forum: Techniques February 21st 07, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Joel
Breaking Spokes on 28H 2X wheel

I recently built a new wheel using a Shimano 6500 front hub and
Velocity Aerohead 28H rim laced 2X.
I have broken three spokes so far. I am sure the wheel is built
correctly and spokes have...
Forum: Marketplace January 12th 07, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Replies: 0
Posted By Joel
FS: Road bike 52cm Columbus steel frame $300

I have a 52cm road bike for sale. Frame is 52 cm with 52 cm seat tube,
20.75" top tube, 30" standover. The frame is the same one used on the
Univega Modo Vincere model, Columbus Thron tubing tig...
Forum: Techniques January 9th 07, 10:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Joel
Squeaking shoes / cleats

Ever since I bought new shoes and cleats I have had chronic squeaking
that is worse when I stand.
The old shoes were Sidi Genius 3 with standard red look cleats which
never ever squeaked.
The new...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 07, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Joel
Koolstop brake pads

I just installed some Koolstop pads on my Dura Ace brakes.
They seem thinner than Dura Ace pads which makes me wonder how long
they will last.
Also they flare out towards the back, so the back of the...
Forum: Marketplace December 19th 06, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Replies: 0
Posted By Joel
FS: Road bike Columbus steel frame 52cm

Road bike, Columbus Thron steel frame with ovalized down tube.
Columbus Curve carbon fork. Frame, fork, headset, seatpost, stem like
new condition.
Shimano 600 8 speed STI components. Good working...
Forum: Techniques November 23rd 06, 10:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Joel
Cassette modification question

I have an Ultegra 9 speed 12-27 cassette.
Can I add a 30T cog and remove the 14T ending up with a 12-30?

Thanks - Joel
Forum: Rides November 4th 06, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 10
Posted By Joel
Riding around Solvang?

Susan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at the same route, but have
concerns about the road condition on Cat Canyon. I gues the only way to
find out is to go there.

Joel
Forum: Rides November 4th 06, 05:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 10
Posted By Joel
Riding around Solvang?

I am planning a ride around the roads of Solvang, anybody familiar with
these roads:

Santa Rosa - Rode it earlier this year, was really nice & could do it
again
Foxen Canyon - Heard it was nice
Cat...
Forum: Techniques October 27th 06, 04:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Joel
Shimano hub repack

I recently decided to repack the grease in my Shimano Ultegra front hub
since it had not been done for a long time. It felt releatively smooth
prior to repacking. I disassembled the hub and throughly...
Forum: Techniques October 25th 06, 04:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Joel
Shimano BB / Sugino XD compatibility

If I get the triple I would ditch the small chain ring.
The XD2 double appears to have pins on chianrings ala Shimano which
would likely improve shifting. I have a Shimano compact double on my
race...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 33