Showing results 1 to 25 of 71
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Tanguy Ortolo
Forum: Techniques October 1st 20, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Cable ends

Hello all,

While I am currently putting metallic caps on the ends of my cables, I
am wondering if there would not be a more permanent solution, that would
keep the wires together while still...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 20, 08:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 46
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
lighting requirements around the world

, 2020-09-03 20:27+0200:
True. No flashing lights officially permitted on Paris Brest Paris.
And officially approved reflective vests are required when riding at
night....
Forum: Techniques September 3rd 20, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 46
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
lighting requirements around the world

Frank Krygowski, 2020-09-03 18:55+0200:
I'm curious whether that vest requirement is actually enforced very
much. Does anyone here have any experience?

I do not, but then I seldom do...
Forum: Techniques September 3rd 20, 05:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 46
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
lighting requirements around the world

Stephen Bauman, 2020-09-03 14:33+0200:
The web page from France's Interior Ministry contradicts these lighting requirements.

Forum: Techniques September 3rd 20, 08:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 46
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
lighting requirements around the world

bob prohaska, 2020-09-01 01:27+0200:
What sort of requirements apply to bicycle lighting around the world?

In France:
* a white reflector and a solid while light on the front, with a
minimum...
Forum: Techniques September 3rd 20, 08:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Chainrings and cogs number

Tom Kunich, 2020-09-02 22:38+0200:
I have four or five 9-speed Campy 9 speed cogsets, but after looking up the mailing costs, you would be better buying them there.

No problem, since I just need a...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 20, 06:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Freewheel extractor and cassette lockring tool

AMuzi, 2020-09-02 18:49+0200:
On 9/2/2020 10:46 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Imagine I invent a magical wood screw that requires less torque than
existing one, and that, for that screw, I design...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 20, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Freewheel extractor and cassette lockring tool

AMuzi, 2020-09-02 18:49+0200:
On 9/2/2020 10:46 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Imagine I invent a magical wood screw that requires less torque than
existing one, and that, for that screw, I design...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 20, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 51
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Park Tools

Sock Puppet, 2020-09-02 17:46+0200:
On 02/09/2020 15:25, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Sock Puppet, 2020-09-02 13:56+0200:
Compression-less cables are recommended for mechanical disk brakes.

Forum: Techniques September 2nd 20, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Freewheel extractor and cassette lockring tool

I am having a little trouble with all these acronyms, am I getting that
right?

AMuzi, 2020-09-02 17:07+0200:
The UG FW tool, which is also the Campagnolo UD CS tool, has
broader...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 20, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Freewheel extractor and cassette lockring tool

Just to make sure, freewheel extractors and cassette lockring tools look
very similar, but you cannot use one in place of the other, can you?

If this is confirmed, I hope the inventor of the freehub...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 20, 03:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 51
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Park Tools

Sock Puppet, 2020-09-02 13:56+0200:
Compression-less cables are recommended for mechanical disk brakes.

Why specifically for disk brakes and not V-brakes, for example? Would it
be because they...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 20, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Choosing chainrings and cogs for a 3×8transmission

Hello,

I am in the process of choosing a new set of 3 chainrings and 8 cogs for
a 28"-wheeled bicycle with a badly worn transmission (I will replace the chain as
well, of course). It will be used in...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 20, 08:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Chainrings and cogs number

Tom Kunich, 2020-09-02 01:03+0200:
On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 8:24:31 AM UTC-7, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
I now have to work out a relevant selection of cogs and chainrings, that
would...
Forum: Techniques September 1st 20, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Chainrings and cogs number

AMuzi, 2020-09-01 14:48+0200:
On 9/1/2020 5:33 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
If this is so, using a chainring designated for 9 cogs would not be a
real issue on my bike that has 8 cogs and a chain...
Forum: Techniques September 1st 20, 11:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Chainrings and cogs number

Hello,

I am restoring a bike with a badly worn transmission, so I will change
both chain, cogs and chainrings. It has a freehub with 8 cogs, and 3
chainrings.

Since these chainrings are...
Forum: Techniques January 13th 20, 03:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
V-brake shoe question

Sir Ridesalot, 2020-01-13 12:41+0100:
I mount my V-brake shoes so that the pads and the rim have the maximum amount of contact. One thing to watch out for if you do use the shorter washers on the...
Forum: Techniques January 13th 20, 12:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
V-brake shoe question

Hello,

There is one thing that always puzzled me with V-brake shoes. There is
one thing that I like with these modern brake shoes, which is that their
attachmend to the caliper offers less degrees...
Forum: Techniques December 5th 19, 02:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Really oiff topic

John B., 2019-11-29 23:31+0100:
It was just that I had thought that 3 hours and 45 minutes was a long
time to spend washing dishes. But you are correct that the manual
shows that as the most...
Forum: Techniques November 29th 19, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Two finger, three finger, and four finger brake levers.

sms, 2019-11-26 19:34+0100:
So why are most levers so short? Is it a weight issue?

I think it is because at some point, people realized they did not need
to use all their fingers to brake. When I...
Forum: Techniques November 29th 19, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Really oiff topic

John B., 2019-11-29 10:34+0100:
My wife just bought an Electrolux dish washer and it's manual leaves a
great deal to be desired. Thus my very off topic questions:

It has a salt reservoir for...
Forum: Techniques November 13th 19, 10:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Mini pump with or without a hose

Hello all,

I am about to replace my mini pump with one that I would be able to
attach to the frame, and that would, hopefully, be more efficient.

While the old-fashioned mini pumps have a flexible...
Forum: Techniques September 10th 19, 09:26 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 75
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Joerg, 2019-09-09 20:38+0200:
When you move from one country or continent to another there is always
something you'll sorely miss. Works in both directions. For example, try
to find really...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 04:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 75
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 04:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech