Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 1.51 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: David L. Johnson
Forum: Techniques September 14th 08, 05:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 152
Posted By David L. Johnson
"you give up your rights as a cyclist when staying on the roadwhere the paths are available"

Jay Beattie wrote:

We are
also getting odd green boxes at lights, and the do-gooders want all
sorts of separate facilities.

What sort of odd green box? And that is a separate facility for...
Forum: Techniques September 12th 08, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By David L. Johnson
Frame pump recommendation

wrote:

Both times this happened when I tried to depend upon the pump for more
than emergencies (usually of other people). This pump is not adequate
for regular use,...
Forum: Techniques September 12th 08, 02:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By David L. Johnson
Frame pump recommendation

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tim McNamara:
I have the Master Blaster, which was the predecessor to the Road Morph,
and the head has blown off the end of the hose several times at 120 psi,
Forum: Techniques September 11th 08, 03:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By David L. Johnson
Frame pump recommendation

Clive George wrote:
This pump is not adequate for
regular use, such as using it as the sole pump on a tour.

Mine is :-)
(old master blaster I think, no gauge)

Possibly. I strongly...
Forum: Techniques September 11th 08, 05:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By David L. Johnson
Frame pump recommendation

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Another poster has complained that his Topeak's inline gauge has
blown off...
Forum: Techniques September 11th 08, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By David L. Johnson
(Sub)Compact Gearing 46/30 ?

Jason wrote:
I've used this combination on a old triple crankset with 110mm and
74mm 5 bolt patterns. I put a 46 on the inside of the larger bolt
pattern, using single speed/single chainring...
Forum: Techniques September 11th 08, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By David L. Johnson
Frame pump recommendation

Jay Beattie wrote:

I switched to a Topeak Road Morph after I belatedly noticed how many
RBT posters recommended it:

I have rescinded my recommendation.

Another poster has complained...
Forum: General September 11th 08, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By David L. Johnson
Why are there so few shops like Harris Cyclery or Yellow Jerseyor Lickton's or Cambria that sell a good selection of accessories?

SMS wrote:
After often giving up in frustration and ordering on-line from Harris,
Lickton's, Cambria, etc., or from Nashbar, I wonder why there are so few
shops like this around.

So few?? ...
Forum: Techniques September 10th 08, 04:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By David L. Johnson
(Sub)Compact Gearing 46/30 ?

wrote:

Bought my TA rings (48, 40, and 30) from a mailorder house in
England. Much less than $41 for the 30 tooth 94mm ring. Even with
shipping included. Back...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 08, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By David L. Johnson
(Sub)Compact Gearing 46/30 ?

wrote:

You need an older 5 arm mountain bike crankset that uses 94mm bolt
circle diameter and square taper bottom bracket. Then just use the
two outer positions. I...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 08, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By David L. Johnson
(Sub)Compact Gearing 46/30 ?

wrote:
I've just completed a ride in the mountains of North Carolina. I used
my crossbike .. with 46/38 on the front and
while it was sufficient for the long drags up the...
Forum: Techniques September 5th 08, 02:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By David L. Johnson
Campy Bearing size

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On Sep 4, 5:32 pm, "Jeff Martin" wrote:
I have 2 sets of 1995 Chorus hubs. Does anyone know what size the bearings
are in the front...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 08, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By David L. Johnson
What's the latest and greatest in LED headlamps?

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The new "killer app" in our store is the NiteRider MiNewt that charges off a
USB port. Kind of amazing nobody thought about doing that until now! Kind of
nice that...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 08, 06:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By David L. Johnson
Recommendation for short rider

anonymousNetUser wrote:
Hope this is the right newsgroup for this sort of question.

I'm looking to buy a bicycle. I intend to ride mostly back and forth to
work; about 0.6 miles on level...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 08, 04:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By David L. Johnson
What's the latest and greatest in LED headlamps?

Bill Taylor wrote:
Time to gear up for fall touring. My little Nashbar 5-LED light is OK,
but I'm seeing all these 1-watt jobs and I know some must be better than
others. Any recent...
Forum: General September 2nd 08, 02:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 66
Posted By David L. Johnson
...but is she, you know, experienced?

Michael Baldwin wrote:

Had Hillary not been thrown under the affirmative action Brinks truck
by the Dems, I was going to vote for her for the sheer entertainment
factor.

Actually, she would...
Forum: Techniques September 1st 08, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 100
Posted By David L. Johnson
putting fenders on my bike

Woland99 wrote:
It keeps raining in Texas - and precisely when I have window in my
day when I can ride. Got tired and decided to adopt rain or shine
riding policy. One of the professors I knew...
Forum: General September 1st 08, 03:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 66
Posted By David L. Johnson
...but is she, you know, experienced?

Michael Baldwin wrote:

All the while creating larger gov't
agencies with more people (votes) and more power ($$$$$$$$).

Right. Only liberals would do that.

The American Blue Bloods are...
Forum: General August 29th 08, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Replies: 42
Posted By David L. Johnson
Looking for novelty helmet

David L. Johnson wrote:

The Arte Johnson picture is very odd. It seems that that is a fake
bike, which is strange since a real one would have been cheaper. But if
you look at the front...
Forum: General August 29th 08, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Replies: 42
Posted By David L. Johnson
Looking for novelty helmet

Sean_Q_ wrote:
Paul Ciszek wrote:
But he would like, if possible, to get one that looks like
the old Kaiser Wilhelm era german military helmets, with the spike on
top.
I suppose a...
Forum: General August 28th 08, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 8
Posted By David L. Johnson
Bicycle-Deer Collision

Steve McDonald wrote:
The brother-in-law of a friend had his femur broken in 3 places last
night, when he collided with a deer when going about 30 mph on a
downhill road. It's a reminder that...
Forum: Techniques August 28th 08, 05:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By David L. Johnson
Smallest 100PSI gauge?

wrote:
I'm thinking of purchasing a gauge for my saddle bag, so that when I
want to drop pressure for say, sandy conditions, I can make sure I'm
not going too low and risking...
Forum: General August 27th 08, 05:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,ca.general
Replies: 32
Posted By David L. Johnson
incident with bicyclist today

Brent P wrote:

That said why complicate the roadway with bike lanes in the first place?

Not the issue of the moment, but I agree.

Wait a minute. You were stopped? She hit you? Why...
Forum: Techniques August 27th 08, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By David L. Johnson
Radial vs 3 cross

Ed Sullivan wrote:
Dear Wheelheads,

Any advantages, other than perhaps aesthetic, to a radially spoked
front wheel?

No.

--
Forum: General August 27th 08, 04:43 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,ca.general
Replies: 32
Posted By David L. Johnson
incident with bicyclist today

wrote:

In California, at least, I remember reading in the drivers' manual
that one is supposed to occupy the bike lane before turning right
(which is usually no longer...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500