Showing results 1 to 25 of 114
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: sothach
Forum: UK May 8th 07, 11:28 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By sothach
Another Gem

Simon Geller wrote:
sothach wrote:

Very clever are these sign people. Just think how stupid you would look
if after picking yourself up from hitting the first post, you then
cycled...
Forum: UK May 7th 07, 09:39 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 85
Posted By sothach
You shouldn't be there! - Long

On May 7, 2:30 am, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:
"Slark" typed

Was I the only one to get incredibly annoyed at this story?
Who's to say it doesn't...
Forum: UK May 7th 07, 09:39 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By sothach
Another Gem

On May 5, 12:28 am, Martin Dann wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
On 04/05/2007 17:55, Sam Salt said,
Another fine example of the cycle path makers art,from Wakefield

Forum: UK December 15th 06, 03:50 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By sothach
Bike lights wiring: why is it all rubbish?

Paul Boyd wrote:
sothach said the following on 15/12/2006 13:58:

Why are they all rubbish? Why can they not use industry standard
connectors?

Er, the 2.8mm blade is an industry...
Forum: UK December 15th 06, 02:22 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By sothach
Bike lights wiring: why is it all rubbish?

Matt B wrote:

Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk)?

Perfect, thanks! And what do you know: they've just opened one near
me...
Forum: UK December 15th 06, 01:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By sothach
Bike lights wiring: why is it all rubbish?

It happened again this week: disturbed the wires from B&M headlight
while getting the bike out to cycle home, and pulled the silly little
spade connector of: refitted it ok, until the darkest bit of...
Forum: UK November 28th 06, 08:59 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 17
Posted By sothach
Continuing Hassle from motorised traffic -- a little rant

Pinky wrote:

The glaring difference between my daily trips at home and my tours in Europe is the
absence of perpetual daily "situations" in mainland Europe. I can cycle in comfort
and in a...
Forum: UK November 22nd 06, 09:28 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 34
Posted By sothach
Schmidt dynamo hubs

Günther Schwarz wrote:
M-gineering wrote:

Many people have independently tested the efficiency of dynohubs, and
I've yet to see results which contradict the findings of Wilfried
Forum: UK November 21st 06, 11:24 AM Posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 34
Posted By sothach
Schmidt dynamo hubs

Peter Clinch wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:

...like don't get the Nexus dynohub. The lowest spec Shimano dynohub to
use is the 3N71, which is what I have. I'm sure the SON hubs are
better,...
Forum: UK November 10th 06, 04:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By sothach
GPS?

Ian Smith wrote:
However, if you've fallen off in the hills the ambulance bods probably
don't need the grid reference of the point in the bone which has
broken. The published (helmert)...
Forum: UK November 10th 06, 02:36 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 47
Posted By sothach
Another newbie question... (was: Why are expensive bikes better than cheap ones?)

Rob Morley wrote:

Except it's a pain lugging a trailer around just in case you need it.
I dunno about that. I hadn't been doing the school run for a while
until last week; I dropped the wee one...
Forum: UK November 10th 06, 12:53 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 47
Posted By sothach
Another newbie question... (was: Why are expensive bikes better than cheap ones?)

Peter Clinch wrote:
sothach wrote:

ITYM 'underkill' - the mech discs I've tried have served a purely
decorative function, but at least on an urban bike discs won't be the
liability...
Forum: UK November 10th 06, 11:47 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 47
Posted By sothach
Another newbie question... (was: Why are expensive bikes better than cheap ones?)

John B wrote:
The other difference, and the one which is probably the main reason for the price
difference, is that the Novato has mechanical Disc Brakes.
These are probably overkill for the...
Forum: UK November 10th 06, 10:50 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 47
Posted By sothach
Another newbie question... (was: Why are expensive bikes better than cheap ones?)

Ken Aston wrote:
... but next year I want to go on a month-long road trip.
How about getting one of them Y-frame trailers? They fold flat so
prob. won't take up any extra room, will carry loads of...
Forum: UK November 9th 06, 01:00 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 22
Posted By sothach
good tyre levers?

Peter Clinch wrote:
bugbear wrote:

So - can anyone recommend effective
tyre levers (mainly for narrow-ish 700c if
it makes a difference).

I use Park Tools plastic ones. They seem...
Forum: UK November 9th 06, 12:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 27
Posted By sothach
My new Thorn raven Tour

Pinky wrote:

I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.

Funny you should say that, I was toodling home...
Forum: UK November 7th 06, 03:14 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 47
Posted By sothach
Why are expensive bikes better than cheap ones?

Peter Clinch wrote:

Plus the rider in a happier, more comfortable state better able to keep
turning the pedals.

I don't think drugs are the answer.
Forum: UK November 7th 06, 02:49 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 90
Posted By sothach
"Carbon footprint"

John B wrote:

I'm sure someone's bought Santa a 4 x 4 by now.

I'm certain I saw Santa driving one the other day.

He does like to slay...
Forum: UK October 27th 06, 09:38 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 31
Posted By sothach
Polite vests

Tony Raven wrote:

I think it would be impersonating a police officer but try it. Rather
than Polite or Deaf or Blind, how about a WWII Bomber style tally of
crossed off cars printed on...
Forum: UK October 26th 06, 03:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By sothach
Killer bus driver- trial starts

Wheelist wrote:

Just how wide is the Cowley Road? (Wide enough for a car, 2 bikes,
a 4x4 and a bus to travel side by side?)

Not even close, and if it was near the top, it is heavily...
Forum: UK October 26th 06, 01:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By sothach
Hub Dynamo for charging mobile phones

wrote:
you could make a simple (and not especially efficient) 12V source by
wiring the dynamo output to a bridge rectifier connected to a large-ish
capacitor and 12V zener...
Forum: UK October 25th 06, 02:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 27
Posted By sothach
Help. It's raining.

Dave Larrington wrote:
DDEckerslyke wrt:
How do the cyclists here keep dry in the rain?

The same way as swimmers keep dry in the water.
Face it: in winter, cycling is a watersport.

1. you...
Forum: UK October 24th 06, 09:50 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By sothach
Strange fitness pattern

wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
First question, what sort of cadence are you pedalling at?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. I even looked up
cadence in the...
Forum: UK October 17th 06, 09:50 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By sothach
Finally a SON

Brendan Halpin wrote:
"sothach" writes:

That threw me a first, going down a hill through trees in sunlight,
suddenly getting a 'buzz' through the handle bars as...
Forum: UK October 17th 06, 08:59 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By sothach
Finally a SON

Brendan Halpin wrote:
I finally installed my new SON last night,
Congradulations! What are you going to call him?

Difficulties mounting the Lumotec: fork crown is too big to take
their...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 114