Showing results 1 to 25 of 28
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Axel Reichert
Forum: Techniques May 28th 21, 08:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Axel Reichert
New crank design

Frank Krygowski writes:

Pretty wild looking!

Many topology optimization results look much wilder.

Exactly what loads did they use for inputs to the software? Did the
Forum: Techniques April 6th 21, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Axel Reichert
Serious Tire Questions for the uninitiated

Frank Krygowski writes:

Schwalbe says that for road tires, it's essentially cosmetic.

To my knowledge, any tread on road bike tires is called "marketing
tread" by Conti...
Forum: Techniques March 10th 21, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By Axel Reichert
Carbon component design news

Frank Krygowski writes:

Supposedly he was using university fatigue testing equipment to verify
its safety, which would make lots of sense. But I don't know what
loads,...
Forum: Techniques February 27th 21, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Axel Reichert
Blowout on rear tire

AK writes:

The tech at the shop said the brakes had worn through the rim.

Sure. My road bike rims lasted about 20000 km for this reason. My
experience is that rear rims...
Forum: Techniques February 13th 21, 04:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Axel Reichert
Planing

" writes:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/what-is-planing/
https://www.renehersecycles.com/the-biomechanics-of-planing/

Thanks for digging up...
Forum: Techniques February 13th 21, 11:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 140
Posted By Axel Reichert
"Planing" (was: Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.)

Frank Krygowski writes:

I'm pretty skeptical of his concept of "planing" regarding bikes -
i.e. that there's an undefined property in certain frames that makes
them...
Forum: Techniques February 13th 21, 11:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 140
Posted By Axel Reichert
Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

" writes:

[PBP]

Much better to ride a distance where you are happy the entire ride.
Then eat, sleep, and do it again the next day if you...
Forum: Techniques February 12th 21, 08:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 140
Posted By Axel Reichert
Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

" writes:

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 4:45:13 PM UTC-6, Axel Reichert wrote:
If I remember correctly, there was a strong correlation...
Forum: Techniques February 11th 21, 10:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 140
Posted By Axel Reichert
Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

Frank Krygowski writes:

I suppose the front fender adds a tiny bit of aero drag, but I suspect
the rear fender acts as a fairing

More on this he

Forum: Techniques February 10th 21, 11:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 140
Posted By Axel Reichert
Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

" writes:

Keeping that spray at a certain point on my lower leg, was the
quickest indication I had that I might be losing contact or getting
too close....
Forum: Techniques January 26th 21, 11:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Axel Reichert
Bike weight and climbing.

Roger Merriman writes:

Power to weight clearly matters though I suspect that power is the
most important

On the flats: Power. In the mountains: Power to weight. So in theory...
Forum: Techniques January 25th 21, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Axel Reichert
Bike weight and climbing.

Tom Kunich writes:

the difference in climbing speed is made up for by the increase
acceleration on the downhills.

The acceleration should not be affected by the mass: More...
Forum: Techniques January 24th 21, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Axel Reichert
Bar tape?

Sir Ridesalot writes:

Some people start at the brake lever and tape up to the stem and then
start at the brake lever again and tape down to the end of the
Forum: Techniques May 27th 20, 02:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
Pacing, wind, and climbs (was: How flat are The Netherlands?)

jbeattie writes:

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 2:54:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
This combination makes out and back TT's in the wind, better to
expend as much...
Forum: Techniques May 26th 20, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

writes:

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:11:31 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

time trials tend to have slightly faster speed records where terrain
is slightly...
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 20, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

jbeattie writes:

many smaller ranges that are Alps-ish, like the Tetons, don't have
roads through them

Partially the consequence of a big and empty country.

IMO, just...
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 20, 03:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

writes:

[Base for round trips]

passed through Merano on a one way trip. Hmmm.

There are a couple of nice dead-ends in the Etsch valley up to Reschen
pass.

Andermatt...
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 20, 01:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

writes:

Ponte di Legno, Gavia

Ah, the Gavia, so beautiful. I have to do the southern side, though,
only did it from Bormio (after Stelvio).

A brutal ride was that

I can...
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 20, 12:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

jbeattie writes:

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/93.Powder%20Mountain

Thanks, great site. Now do you know what "Fiets" in the "Climbing Card"
on that page means?

It is Dutch...
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 20, 09:52 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

writes:

+1 I'm done with the stupid steep climbs with no view. The last one
was the Mortirolo. What a stupid climb was that. A goat path through a
forrest. I remember the...
Forum: Techniques May 22nd 20, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

Frank Krygowski writes:

I'm interested in the L * p^2 metric for climb difficulty. I've long
wondered if there was a widely recognized way of categorizing
Forum: Techniques May 22nd 20, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

Rolf Mantel writes:

which is the longest/steepest descent without any sharp bends to allow
high risk-free speeds?

Well, as I mentioned I have ridden most of the big...

Rolf Mantel writes:

which is the longest/steepest descent without any sharp bends to allow
high risk-free speeds?

Well, as I mentioned I have ridden most of the big...
Forum: Techniques May 22nd 20, 08:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

Frank Krygowski writes:

the Appalachians. Like most bike tourists, I found they were much
tougher than the Rockies, even though not nearly as high. Passes we
rode in...
Forum: Techniques May 21st 20, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Axel Reichert
How flat are The Netherlands?

writes:

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 2:56:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
114 km [...] elevation gain of a whopping 124 m

There are many places in the lowlands...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 28