Showing results 1 to 25 of 78
Search took 0.27 seconds.
Forum: Techniques August 21st 16, 01:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By [email protected]
...jailed after causing the death of grandmother in city centre

Can you imagine the hue and cry there would have been if it had been a bicyclist hit and killed by a car and the driver got only 1 year despite having 11 prior convictions?

not 11 prior...
Forum: Techniques August 21st 16, 11:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By [email protected]
...jailed after causing the death of grandmother in city centre

Can you imagine the hue and cry there would have been if it had been a bicyclist hit and killed by a car and the driver got only 1 year...
Forum: UK January 23rd 07, 12:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 28
Posted By [email protected]
square BB axles....slightly different?

the BB axle/crank assembly mixing them is bad news. New Campag BBs are not
expensive, even at full price (and now down to £1.50 discounted!), so if
you've got (or want) a Campag chainset get a...
Forum: UK January 3rd 07, 07:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
Well done Waitrose

Is any other supermarket this cycle friendly?

And you can spend an entertaining time watching the Chelsea tractors
trying to maneouvre in the little choked car park round the back so
they can...
Forum: UK December 23rd 06, 09:15 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
Humbling pictures

Those three punctures were in the same place .the owner needs to have a
very good look at the tyre i think.

Bicycle repair man has only one good foot.I hope he has it insured.
Does he cycle...
Forum: UK December 20th 06, 01:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By [email protected]
Glasgow council to use molasses/salt mixture this winter

The degree of magitude worse might be greater than I can imagine as the
molasses has been de-sugared for road salting use.

That's a relief, I had visions of cycling through miles of sugary...
Forum: UK December 20th 06, 01:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Where do I purchase travel/bicycle insurance, taht covers bike on tha airport/during the flight?

Usual answer: CTC will probably cover it but they'll extract ludicrous
quantities of cash in return, usually up to about 10% of the value.

Recently had a bent chainwheel on arrival in Palma...
Forum: UK December 18th 06, 02:23 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
"you're only a cyclist"

LSMike wrote:
What about not signalling left until the last moment when you're next
in a similar situation?

Yes, I no longer signal in that situation unless I expect the car to
take it as an...
Forum: UK December 16th 06, 06:22 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
Open Access Cycling

Hopefully it's the later as I will be disappointed that of all the land and
views here you can only walk on the paths...

where is this and what sort of land?
TerryJ
Forum: UK December 16th 06, 06:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 30
Posted By [email protected]
Dahon, Bike-in-a-bag, or...?

afraid it might get stolen. This barely used Dahon boardwalk D7 sells
at 250 Euros...

I have a dahon jetstream , the one with only rear suspension and a
normal front hub.
It is 19pounds as sold,...
Forum: UK December 10th 06, 01:23 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
foot straps

Qs
1 are they really worth all the trouble, just to go around town.

No, they're obsolete and dangerous. They were fine when there was no
alternative, but clipless pedal systems of which...
Forum: UK December 9th 06, 12:01 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Towing bicycles

Before I go into prototype mode, almost certainly not until well into
the New Year, it would be useful to hear any views or suggestions.

Sorry, I just realised that you had been carrying...
Forum: UK December 9th 06, 11:53 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Towing bicycles

Before I go into prototype mode, almost certainly not until well into
the New Year, it would be useful to hear any views or suggestions.

I have a trailer which is redundant and fitted for...
Forum: UK December 6th 06, 07:18 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By [email protected]
Newbie saying hello

http://www.tallbloke.net/curriebike.jpg
http://www.tallbloke.net/currie-detail.jpg

How much did it cost, what is it and where from? was it easy to put on?

TerryJ
Forum: UK December 5th 06, 07:34 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By [email protected]
Extra long quill stem?

I would be cautious about using stem extenders or the adjustable stems
on a mountain bike that is going to be used as a mountain bike.

I had one of these contraptions fall apart on me in the...
Forum: UK December 2nd 06, 01:33 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
posting and painting

also
partners sons kona stinky has a few chips on the paintwork - what's best to
cover them up - I take it that it wont rust?

clear nail varnish or a near match
TerryJ
Forum: UK December 2nd 06, 01:28 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
How do you transport your bicycle to other countries?

As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or...
Forum: UK November 27th 06, 12:26 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
How much difference does a good bike make?

the bike I use at the moment is an old Peugeot, pale green effort with
Reynolds 531 tubing, and is probably at least 20 years old. I use it mainly

http://www.jimlangley.net/ride/py10.html
I f...
Forum: UK November 27th 06, 12:16 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
BMIbaby flight report

Did common sense prevail with respect to tyre pressure?

I am afraid I do not know, since we all reduced pressure to softish
because we did not want to provoke argument,In past years the...
Forum: UK November 24th 06, 02:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
BMIbaby flight report

would use a spare set of axels, nuts and quick release levers (could be
salvaged from demic wheels) to pack out the drops of forks and rear
stays. The pedals I would remove and turn backwards...
Forum: UK November 24th 06, 12:39 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
BMIbaby flight report

Three of us went to majorca with BMIbaby from East Midlands to Palma
two weeks ago .I thought some people might like to know about the
flights with bikes.
Before I travel I always crave specific...
Forum: UK November 22nd 06, 02:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
LIDL cheap rechargable batteries

So, with a week's nursing, one of the cells has attained reasonable
sell any longer) has served me very well in the LED light they go in.
In fact, they are in better condition than the light...
Forum: UK November 6th 06, 12:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
BMA Decision Explained!

Tony Raven wrote:
Is this the reason the BMA and many A&E staff say what they do about
cycle helmets?

I believe the majority that passed that motion at the bma reps meeting
were absolutely...
Forum: UK November 2nd 06, 10:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
Warm and toasty

My local LiDL opens at 8, so I was there with a few others to grab some
gloves/scarves/polar buff copies for the family.

The one at Brigg had map handlebar boards which were reduced to 3-99.
I...
Forum: UK November 2nd 06, 11:20 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
West London commute - any suggestions for a safer route?

Now that it is dark in the evening, I can't use the canal and I am
forced to travel along Bayswater Road, Holland Park Avenue, Holland

Get yourself some proper lights and a headlight and a...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 78