Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Forum: Techniques October 29th 18, 01:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
wood bike in Greece

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/wood-bike.jpg

Up there, it says Coco-Mat.

Down there, I think it says "Samaria Hotel",
which is on Crete.

--
underground experts...
Forum: Techniques October 29th 18, 12:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Excepting the government intervention the
saga from feet to bicycles to autos has
occurred in just about every developing Asian
country. Even Japan, after WW II went...
Forum: Techniques October 26th 18, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rear-facing dropouts

Andre Jute wrote:

which led me to look into other fat tyres but
there's nothing quite like the Big Apple for
comfort and, surprisingly, speed and control
at speed, so I just fitted the same...
Forum: Techniques October 25th 18, 10:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
how long does water stay OK in a plastic bottle?

Joerg wrote:

The rack has a loading platform to which
cargo can be strapped but most of the time
it's just the little trunk riding up there.
Key is the diagonal strut, a "false bottom"
and...
Forum: Techniques October 25th 18, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
how long does water stay OK in a plastic bottle?

Joerg wrote:

I use a plastic drinking bottle, one or two
stainless thermoses plus in summer several
re-filled PET bottles (the cheap
"disposable" ones). On long MTB rides
easily...
Forum: Techniques October 25th 18, 04:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joerg wrote:

I use a plastic drinking bottle, one or two
stainless thermoses plus in summer several
re-filled PET bottles (the cheap "disposable"
ones). On long MTB rides easily five...
Forum: Techniques October 25th 18, 08:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rear-facing dropouts

Andre Jute wrote:

whereas with forward facing slots you need
a second person to hold the wheel in the slot
while you turn the spanner.

Easier to turn the bike upside down and let the
axis...
Forum: Techniques October 24th 18, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rear-facing dropouts

Tosspot wrote:

Is there a reason, besides the common use of
hub gearboxes, so many Dutch commuters these
days have track ends rather than dropouts?

Stops the rear wheel falling off.

Is...
Forum: Techniques October 24th 18, 05:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rear-facing dropouts

AMuzi wrote:

Nonsense.

There's no functional difference for chain
tension or gearing between this:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/mer11b.jpg
and this:
Forum: Techniques October 24th 18, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rear-facing dropouts

As for terminology, here is what it says:

Track bikes have rear-facing dropouts and
120mm-space hubs (rather than 130mm of
a road bike). Rear-facing dropouts offer
a stronger and...
Forum: Techniques October 24th 18, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rear-facing dropouts

Andre Jute wrote:

Is there a reason, besides the common use of
hub gearboxes, so many Dutch commuters these
days have track ends rather than dropouts?

Must be some modern thing because here...
Forum: Techniques October 24th 18, 03:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rear-facing dropouts

AMuzi wrote:

Chain tensioners are handy on roadsters to
get the wheel centered what with full
mudguards, chain case, stirrup brake and so
on before tightening the axle nuts. They are
not...
Forum: Techniques October 24th 18, 12:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
oil old and modern bikes

On old bikes, it is very easy to oil the two
front bearings, the pedals, the crank, and the
rear hub.

In particular the crank and the rear hub work
wonders just by a couple of drops, the pedals
are...
Forum: Techniques October 24th 18, 11:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rear-facing dropouts

Today there was a gorgeous open-frame steel
bike from the 60s or 70s, with the favorite
635 tires.

The only wrench in the machinery is that it has
rear-facing dropouts, and the o-bolts to grab
the...
Forum: Techniques October 23rd 18, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rockshox front sag

lou.holtman wrote:

Settings are only valid for certain
circumstances but you always have a mix of
circumstances at least I do.

Sure, but as for me, I'm content to aim for
some average that...
Forum: Techniques October 23rd 18, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
how long does water stay OK in a plastic bottle?

How long does water stay OK in a plastic
bottle? Here [1] it says 2-3 hours!

Does it really happen that fast? And what is it
that deteriorates?

Will the movement of the bike preserve the
freshness...
Forum: Techniques October 22nd 18, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
rockshox front sag

lou.holtman wrote:

Should be at the faster end of the spectrum
in my limited experience.

Yes, but without bouncing up and down
a couple of times. What I do/did is ride of
a curb at...
Forum: Techniques October 22nd 18, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
allen screws and torque

OK, so I put the M6s to 8Nm. Now everything is
by the book save for ~invisible damage that
probably didn't happen to any great extent.

I was very tempted to try to seal the lever
from the other side...
Forum: Techniques October 22nd 18, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
allen screws and torque

The M6, to hold the brake levers, I put down
to 9, not having an official reading what it
should be.

Still no luck finding the exact manual for the
BL-M425, but I found one for BL-M445...
Forum: Techniques October 21st 18, 08:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
allen screws and torque

I take it allen screws (or "socket head cap
screws") and hex bolts have the same standard
torque values?

If I read the charts [1] correctly, if you find
an allen screw on your bike that takes a...
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I also think you could learn by reading
something more general, like this:
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I had in mind something like this:
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
"torque wrench" pump/compressor

AMuzi wrote:

As a 10th grade dropout, I understand the
limits of an autodidact education.

When was the last time you were wrong about
a bike issue?

I mean a principle matter, not grabbing the...
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
"torque wrench" pump/compressor

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Well, I've mentioned that you might research
your questions before asking them and Frank
has even given you a list of books that might
enlighten you and now Sir has...
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
MTB 29*2.20 65 PSI

Andre Jute wrote: