Showing results 1 to 25 of 104
Search took 3.57 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Peter Fox
Forum: UK May 4th 07, 08:21 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 28
Posted By Peter Fox
Strange

Following on from Tom Crispin's message. . .
Why two bikes and three helmets?
Easy. One is a tandem.
--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business...
Forum: UK May 4th 07, 08:17 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

Following on from Neil Smith's message. . .
Mystery solved. I took it into a bike shop and he immediately pointed out
that the cable supports were slipping down the tube. It was a case of not

Forum: UK April 29th 07, 09:05 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 24
Posted By Peter Fox
Gear Mystery

Following on from Neil Smith's message. . .
Dear All,
both front and rear gears got stuck on the smallest rings. Re-adjusted cable
several times, with in a few miles, they were back in the...
Forum: UK April 24th 07, 05:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 103
Posted By Peter Fox
Todays Metro

Ah. So how do YOU know when lights are about to turn as you tool up
the psychle lane approaching an advanced stop box past a queue of
traffic, especially when the phase times are variable (as is...
Forum: UK April 24th 07, 04:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 103
Posted By Peter Fox
Todays Metro

What it doesn't make clear is whether in the two enumerated instances, the
cyclists cycled along the left of the lorry prior to stopping at the light.

If they did, then I would hardly call that...
Forum: UK April 24th 07, 04:34 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 103
Posted By Peter Fox
Todays Metro

Following on from Ziggy's message. . .
When we'd finished she calmly announced that she fully understood what we'd
been
discussing but would continue to cycle in the gutter because we got honked...
Forum: UK April 23rd 07, 02:04 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 13
Posted By Peter Fox
Chain Troubleshooting

Following on from Simon Wolf's message. . .

(1) Front gear adjustment is 'easy'. A book from the library is worth
getting because (a) it will tell you about this issue and (b) lots of
other...
Forum: UK April 19th 07, 05:44 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Peter Fox
BBC's cycle farcility of the moment

Following on from Marc Brett's message. . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/07/uk_enl_1176992663/html/1.stm

Not up to the standard of most of Warrington Cycle Campaign's entries,...
Forum: UK April 14th 07, 11:22 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Peter Fox
Sorry about this, but you can never have enough helmet posts. Springboard for something better

Arghhhhhhh! Just when we thought it was safe and the fine weather
arrived, a passing helmet reference spawns the plague.

OK STOP - THE LOT OF YOU
There's something a lot better to work on where...
Forum: UK April 12th 07, 08:35 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 154
Posted By Peter Fox
Teaching proper braking to children

Following on from Tom Crispin's message. . .
Anyway, any suggestions for helping to teach more controlled braking?

/Please/ don't make it complicated. Even with your long list including
pedal...
Forum: UK April 10th 07, 07:54 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 60
Posted By Peter Fox
Sustrans website and cycle maps - is there a better alternative?

Following on from Niall Wallace's message. . .

"Niall Wallace" wrote in message
"Peter Fox"...
Forum: UK April 10th 07, 07:51 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 60
Posted By Peter Fox
Sustrans website and cycle maps - is there a better alternative?

Following on from digitaltoast's message. . .
I use Sustrans just to plan an amiable day out. Unfortunately, as a
later poster points out, mindless dickheads seem to enjoy turning the
signs round...
Forum: UK April 9th 07, 09:26 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 72
Posted By Peter Fox
Novice Cyclist Bike Advice

Following on from Simon Wolf's message. . .
I am about to take up cycling as a way of both getting fitter and
cutting down on my car usage but I could do with some advice about my
choice of bikes...
Forum: UK April 8th 07, 10:49 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 60
Posted By Peter Fox
Sustrans website and cycle maps - is there a better alternative?

Following on from RG's message. . .
I believe that the original mapping project was sponsored by Halfrods - need
one say more?

I'm not an apologist for Sustrans but I think you may be being rather...
Forum: UK March 22nd 07, 10:18 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 396
Posted By Peter Fox
ctc and motorcycles (Don't feed the troll)

A troll wrote a whine about the CTCs position on motorbikes.
Can you hear the sound of hundreds of very tiny violins troll?
--
PETER FOX Not the same since the cardboard box company...
Forum: UK March 21st 07, 01:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

Following on from David K's message. . .
This morning, while stuck in traffic, I checked my mirrors and was about to
change lane. For no good reason I changed my mind and stopped. A cyclist
that I...
Forum: UK March 20th 07, 01:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 21
Posted By Peter Fox
Bikeability

Following on from Dave's message. . .
Then again it came down to schools too. Many schools do not offer it full
stop, others do in varying degrees and standards.

Trap!
Why should cycle training be...
Forum: UK March 17th 07, 10:07 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 22
Posted By Peter Fox
That's my smug moment for the year.

Following on from John B's message. . .

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

Hah! Eat my pedal dust sucker! That'll teach hybrid-man to ignore the
fatbirdonaroadbike!

I pity the poor...
Forum: UK March 15th 07, 09:31 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 22
Posted By Peter Fox
first attempt at cycling through London

Following on from Adam Lea's message. . .
Decided I need more practice so will have another go next week.

If anyone has any useful tips for cycling in London I would be happy to hear
them.

On...
Forum: UK March 14th 07, 08:57 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 21
Posted By Peter Fox
Travel by other ?

Following on from TimHenderson's message. . .
Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Unbeliever : "What! You *cycled* all that way!" [eg 5 miles]

You : "Yes of course... ...Err... Well...
Forum: UK March 13th 07, 05:03 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Peter Fox
Result! (sort of)

Following on from Ian Smith's message. . .
Yebbut facts aren't going to get in the way of a jobsworth who thinks
the DPA is a fab answer for confounding anyone who expects them to do
some actual...
Forum: UK February 27th 07, 10:12 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 46
Posted By Peter Fox
Nairn child cyclist death -- Training?

Following on from Stanley's message. . .
On Cyclists...........

In the '80s I was a ROSPA trainer at a school but found that the little
angels who had all ridden so carefully raced of after...
Forum: UK February 26th 07, 01:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 46
Posted By Peter Fox
Nairn child cyclist death -- Training?

Suggestion.

You may have read of the cyclist death on the A96 near Nairn. Original
news story at.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6394473.stm

1. Let's get this clear,...
Forum: UK February 26th 07, 02:01 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By Peter Fox
Swindon takes on Warrington

Let's paint cycles on both sides of the shared use path.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/swindonnewsheadlines/display.var.1217981.0.cyclepath_blunder_leaves_residents_scratching_their_...
Forum: UK February 25th 07, 02:08 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 27
Posted By Peter Fox
Basic bike maintenance

Following on from thedudeinthehat's message. . .
Hi Folks,

I've finally managed to get a hybrid bike for commuting and longer
weekend jaunts. Am delighted with the buy but was wondering...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 104