Showing results 1 to 25 of 135
Search took 0.93 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jonathan Schneider
Forum: UK January 13th 10, 10:11 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 103
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Just 2% in favour of "Road Tax" for cyclists.

Jim A writes:

limited to no more than 600cc
normally aspirated.

[strokes green machine built by Mr Kawasaki]
Forum: UK January 13th 10, 10:07 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 103
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Just 2% in favour of "Road Tax" for cyclists.

NM writes:

Dammed good idea until you got to the bit about who covers the cost,
why can't the cyclists cover the cost after all they want to cycle.

Remember motorists, and...
Forum: UK November 23rd 09, 05:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Brakes in the rain

WD40 should never be applied to a bike

That's better in my opinion. WD40 is so thin it removes existing
lubricant before disappearing itself.

Jon
Forum: UK October 12th 09, 09:15 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 77
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
The Busway

Tom Crispin writes:

There will be a 2.5m to 4m wide cycle lane alongside this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPkeLR5wnhA

where they have disabled comments so...
Forum: UK September 28th 09, 10:17 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 14
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Velodrome direction

Something that's bothered me on and off for years.

Do all velodromes go anti-clockwise ?

Jon
Forum: UK September 14th 09, 12:16 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 23
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Mountain bike punctures - valve being torn off.

"Doki" writes:

I keep getting punctures on my mountain bike, where the Schraeder valve has
been pulled off the tube. Clearly, the tyre is rotating slightly on the rim
under...
Forum: UK September 4th 09, 08:14 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Large thighs 'may protect heart'

From Auntie Beeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8236384.stm

ok my body doesn't look anything like the one in the picture but I
pass the circumference test.

Jon
Forum: UK August 1st 09, 10:12 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Chains and things

Besides the width, as Nigel points out, those little cogs have
carefully designed hills to help the chain climb to the next largest
cog at the point where there is least discontinuity between old...
Forum: UK July 25th 09, 08:26 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Anyone fancy a ride on this?

"Graham Harrison" writes:

http://www.andygraham.net/railbike/railbike.htm

I wonder how quick it is?

We've got something nearly as fast in the form of...
Forum: UK June 16th 09, 05:57 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 47
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Particulate pollution

"Just zis Guy, you know?" writes:

Taxis are also more efficient urban people movers than the private
car, they do not spend eight to ten hours a day consuming twice...
Forum: UK June 11th 09, 01:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 47
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Particulate pollution

lardyninja writes:

Really noticed the pollution over the last few days, coughing like
crazy

With so many people switching to diesel cars the particulate problem
has got...
Forum: UK June 7th 09, 09:13 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Problems with Kudu Bikes

"Gennaro" writes:

(2) The payment was done on the same day

I thought the law dictated that payment is only taken when the goods
really are on their way out. I'm fed up...
Forum: UK June 5th 09, 03:03 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 356
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Near fatality - Peckham

Tom Crispin writes:

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive, but the advice *Ride primary.*
suggests that the victim was riding in an unsafe road position.

also...
Forum: UK June 2nd 09, 02:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 13
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
cycling shorts

bugbear writes:

Can anybody recommend brand/outlet/supplier?

Use your local shop(s). That's about it.

Jon
Forum: UK June 1st 09, 09:25 PM Posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 1,102
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
RFD: create moderated newsgroup uk.rec.cycling.moderated

Ian Jackson writes:

uk.rec.cycling has for some time been suffering from an infestation of
trolls, nym-shifters and forgeries. Many of these posters are...
Forum: UK May 27th 09, 03:28 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Looking for any advice comments

"MeerKat" writes:

Just want to know if i'm going in the right direction.

Are you getting nearer to your destination ?

Jon
Forum: UK April 27th 09, 10:53 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 110
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Why don't they use carbon capture for cars?

Doug writes:

A large tank on the roof with a compressor to store the exhaust gases.

That's old technology. What you need is an ATMOS system. It comes with
a satnav too. "This...
Forum: UK April 15th 09, 03:46 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 173
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
County green family award.

Yes you're most certainly better than both.

"Simon Mason" writes:

11) Our garden lights are all solar powered and we have never owned a
patio heater.

You use...
Forum: UK April 4th 09, 08:34 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Keep fit in your car.

"Simon Mason" writes:

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfit.jpg

So say Diamond Insurance.

I've often wondered if this company is even legal.

What if a company...
Forum: UK March 3rd 09, 06:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 17
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Vauxhall Corsa advert

Jolly Polly writes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeYab0pGboc

Very similar to Sinclair's A-bike. I saw one in Ben Haywards in Cambridge.

Jon
Forum: UK February 24th 09, 03:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Wearing shorts makes it warmer

writes:

I wear tights with shorts over them and if I get too warm on the ride
back in the afternoon, I can roll up the tights to knee level.

What is the point of wearing tights...
Forum: UK February 1st 09, 03:58 PM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Another house seriously damaged by a car.

Conor writes:

How much accountability is there in someone who is riding a vehicle
with no identifying marks on and who isn't required to take any
training or...
Forum: UK January 21st 09, 10:16 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Saddle Position

"POHB" writes:

"Saxman" wrote

That's a good idea, as bums can differ as much as fingerprints.

Specialized do an arseometer that measures the width of your...
Forum: UK January 9th 09, 10:05 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Puncture proof tyres

writes:

On 9 Jan, 08:45, "Darth." wrote:
I have a new 8-mile commute in London and seem to be suffering a lot
of punctures. Â*At the moment I have Specialized Roubaix...
Forum: UK December 9th 08, 06:27 PM Posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 432
Posted By Jonathan Schneider
Run into from side by red light jumper

DavidM writes:

Congratulations on a satisfactory outcome. Sounds like it was far from
stress free though. Interesting that you mention 3rd party cover for
Showing results 1 to 25 of 135