Showing results 1 to 25 of 54
Search took 0.56 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: jtrops
Forum: Unicycling January 15th 09, 04:23 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 16
Posted By jtrops
How to remove anodizing (rims/cranks) / Polishing aul. to mirror finish.

Again it has been a long time since I have done it so keep that in
mind.

I removed the anodizing from a pair of Sugino Maxi Cross cranks once
and they never had a problem with fitting tight on the...
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 15
Posted By jtrops
Too many flats... here's one solution.

I really should look into the poor mans tubeless setup, as that pretty
much describes me.

I think that tire savers were available for a long time, but as tires
got knobby they became useless. ...
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 04:09 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 15
Posted By jtrops
Too many flats... here's one solution.

the tire is a big apple 29x2.35. After working in a bike shop for 9
years I have seen many different kinds of flats, and these ones are
plain old stuff getting through the tread. The bulk of my...
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 03:25 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 15
Posted By jtrops
Too many flats... here's one solution.

Tubeless would be interesting. I have thought about it, but I have to
find out more about it. From what I understand it is heavier than a
tube in most cases, but offers a liveliness like a sew-up. ...
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 04:02 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 0
Posted By jtrops
Too many flats... here's one solution.

I could add more rubber, but I would rather have a lighter wheel.
Weight at the circumference is the worst kind of weight.

I used to have a setup like this on my road bike with sew-ups, and I
never...
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 15
Posted By jtrops
Too many flats... here's one solution.

I have been having an inordinate number of flats from thorns and glass
on my 29'er. As I was fixing one today I remembered a little gizmo that
I used to have on my road bike. The thing was called a...
Forum: Unicycling January 9th 09, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 16
Posted By jtrops
How to remove anodizing (rims/cranks) / Polishing aul. to mirror finish.

To be honest it has been at least 25 years since I have removed
anodizing from aluminum, so the details are a little fuzzy.

I did a quick web search on oven cleaner anodizing removal and found
this...
Forum: Unicycling January 9th 09, 03:22 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 16
Posted By jtrops
How to remove anodizing (rims/cranks) / Polishing aul. to mirror finish.

I have no idea how many things I removed anodizing from back in the bmx
days. Spray oven cleaner like easy off takes the anodizing off. I
don't recall how long you leave it on, but a little trial...
Forum: Unicycling January 8th 09, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 9
Posted By jtrops
problem with vista dvd burner

I haven't done this in a long time, but if I remember right .wmv is a
proprietary MS format, and it is not compatible with any other video
codec. Many of the other video codecs (avi, divx, and etc.)...
Forum: Unicycling January 2nd 09, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 4
Posted By jtrops
tap size for nimbus isis hub threads??

In another post:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55389

"The ISIS spec allows for the use of either M12 or M15 cranks bolts.
Koxx and KH both use M12 crank bolts that have a...
Forum: Unicycling December 29th 08, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 10
Posted By jtrops
Griptape keeps coming of. Help please.

Adhesives come in all varieties. some are cold setting, and some are
heat setting. There are hot mounting presses, and cold mounting
presses. I am sure that most, if not all, adhesive manufacturers...
Forum: Unicycling December 24th 08, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 7
Posted By jtrops
Has anyone Stretched a 20" tube to fit a 24" wheel?

I think it's gonna be a tough fit. There is quite a bit more rubber to
stretch in a 29" tube than there is in a 24". If your goal is to drop
the weight a little I think a lightweight tube in the...
Forum: Unicycling December 23rd 08, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 26
Posted By jtrops
Any Coloradans out there?

I'd be interested in a Colorado Forum. It looks like at some point
there was an attempt to have such a site on http://coloradomuni.com/.
It doesn't look like the site has had any updates for quite...
Forum: Unicycling December 22nd 08, 11:24 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 10
Posted By jtrops
Painting spokes/wheel.

Bluing is a process that replaces the outermost surface metal with black
iron oxide. You don't need to heat the metal util it's red, you just
boil it in the right chemicals. 'Here is the wiki that...
Forum: Unicycling December 21st 08, 03:33 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 10
Posted By jtrops
Painting spokes/wheel.

I think you are going to have a lot of paint coming off your spokes. As
for the hub, I have had good results with painting parts and baking them
for a while in the oven. I have painted aluminum...
Forum: Unicycling December 14th 08, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 13
Posted By jtrops
Crank lengh advice needed please.

I have to say that 8.5 mph on a 24" MUni with 165's is impressive. I
was in a similar situation and the solution was a 29'er with 125's.
Shorter cranks will make spinning much easier, but you will...
Forum: Unicycling December 14th 08, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 6
Posted By jtrops
KH/ONZA 165mm what to do with them?

I probably bid too high, but the alternative, Moment's, would have been
far more expensive.

I don't want this crankset to go unused, but I am afraid that they will
be too long for me. I have a pair...
Forum: Unicycling December 13th 08, 11:55 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 6
Posted By jtrops
KH/ONZA 165mm what to do with them?

That's what I was kind of thinking. I have some old 26 inch rims laying
around, so the wheel won't be a big deal to throw together. I might
have a friend (really good welder) mod a mtb fork into a...
Forum: Unicycling December 13th 08, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 6
Posted By jtrops
KH/ONZA 165mm what to do with them?

So I am getting some 150's from Phlegm along with a hub. After I
exchange the cranks on my MUni witht the shorter 150's I will be left
with a hub and a set of 165's. I really think the 165's are...
Forum: Unicycling December 7th 08, 04:04 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 4
Posted By jtrops
Brakes?

I have a Nimbus II 29'er that has a v-brake mounted. I used a v-brake
adaptor and strapped it on with hose clamps originally, and now it is
mounted with a bolt through a single hole in the fork...
Forum: Unicycling December 6th 08, 05:35 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 11
Posted By jtrops
Wooden things

You might also look in the free section on craigslist. I have seen
people giving them away on many occasions.

--...
Forum: Unicycling December 6th 08, 05:27 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 4
Posted By jtrops
Torker LX/CX compatibility

From the UDC description I think it should work fine. "Original
replacement wheel for Torker unicycles". If you call UDC they will tell
you if it will fit, but my understanding is that the LX and CX...
Forum: Unicycling December 5th 08, 10:56 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 26
Posted By jtrops
Which spoke gauge is best for KH29 MUni?

Most, if not all, bike truing stands rely on the axle spinning in the
hub. I have used many Park truing stands, and while they aren't my
favorite I could see how you could place the spindle in the...
Forum: Unicycling December 5th 08, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 26
Posted By jtrops
Which spoke gauge is best for KH29 MUni?

Uni wheels will not go into a bicycle truing stand. I improvized with
my truing stand by gently clamping the bearings to the top of my stand,
and it worked alright. It would be nice to take a...
Forum: Unicycling November 24th 08, 04:04 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 19
Posted By jtrops
Losing air, but no puncture?

With low pressures like you are talking about it is most likely losing
air when you are checking the pressure, but it could be a membrane leak.
I have seen old tubes lose considerable air through the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 54